Visit the Black Rock City Airport -- For a Gift Ride:

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2017.
Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Visit the Black Rock City Airport -- For a Gift Ride:

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:49 am

Come on out and visit the Black Rock City Airport -- For a Gift Scenic flight over the City:

The final Thursday, Friday and Saturday are jam-packed crazy.

The best days to visit the Airport for a scenic flight over the city are the first Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

See the Ride Wrangler. It is their job to match those who wish a ride with pilots who are gifting rides at that particular time. This is Burning Man. Not all pilots are gifting rides at the same time.

Sometimes, there are no pilots flying at that particular moment. At other times there might be 20-30 pilots gifting rides. Like the Thursday Pancake Breakfast and the Saturday Afternoon Open Bar; these are their participatory contribution to the event and the whole City is invited.

We have literally changed people’s lives with their first ride in a private aircraft. Some have come back to share they are now student pilots! We are very committed to continue Gifting Rides. 'Halvy' shows how much fun it is in these short videos:

How do you get to the Airport? Travel out the 5:00 radial and down the road beside the Walk-In Camping area and you will run slap dab into the Airport -- You can't miss it.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Re: Visit the Black Rock City Airport -- For a Gift Ride:

Post by JayBobBoy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Slightly different, but the same....they allow for passengers to fill extra seats in the Skydiving plane!

I got to do this in 2014 when we camped across the street from the Sky Diver's Camp. What a wonderful experience! Seeing the city and the surrounding environtment from above and then watching the skydivers jump out is one of my all time favorite BM experiences.

Thanks for offering this wonderful gift!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:22 pm

I have always wanted to do this. I used to fly small stuff back in the 1970's. I am bringing my burgin GF this year, I think she would flip about going for a small plane ride. I know I would. She is doing the 50K Tuesday morning, so maybe we will wander over Wed early AM. Hope to see you there MH.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

The Rat Lady
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Mobility Camp

Post by The Rat Lady » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:23 pm

They have gifted rides to our wheelies and other Mobility impaired folks. Truly an AMAZING experience for someone who normally sees the Playa from 3 ft high!

The Ride Wrangler and pilots are amazing folks:)

We are so grateful for all you do!

Hopefully we will get a group out to you this year as well!

Thanks from
Mobility Camp
and
Rat Lady
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx

XaOs
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ASTRO SHACK JaVa JoINt

Post by XaOs » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:18 am

I never went to the airport to ask for a ride becuz I dunno kinda seemed like begging it was a long way to go I just didn't feel like it.

Last year I introduced one of our guests to the wonders of top-quality fresh ground, dark roast, French press black coffee (we have a "no dairy / no creamer" policy at the Astro Shack). I encouraged him to just try it. He took a drink, his eyes opened wide, it was a revelation, he loved it, and was grateful.

He invited me to meet him at 4:00 at the airport for a ride in his plane. Of course I went. I had never been up in a small plane before. That was a revelation for me. It was wonderful. It was the 20th anniversary for the airport: their first year on the playa was 1996. That was my first year on the playa, too. Cosmic!

I just might mosey over there some time this year and see if I can get another ride. :)
"We have nothing to offer anybody, except our own confusion - and coffee!"
- Jack "Space Cat" Kerouac

paul_bennett
Burning Since: 2017

Post by paul_bennett » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:24 am

Can't believe it is possible! I was dreaming about it but I didn't want to bother anyone.

Does anyone know if we have to pay the $60 airport gate fee?

bdman
Camp Name: Intergalactic Sasquatch Village

Post by bdman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:24 am

Thanks for letting us know Meat Hunter! I am looking forward to it.

Joeln
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:15 am

I haven't been up in a small plane for 20 years!
That would be very cool.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

jwilo
Burning Since: 2009

Post by jwilo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:10 am

paul_bennett wrote:Can't believe it is possible! I was dreaming about it but I didn't want to bother anyone.

Does anyone know if we have to pay the $60 airport gate fee?
No. The $60 gate fee is only levied if you enter the event for the first time through the airport gate.

Scenic flights are absolutely free.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:52 am

Scenic rides over the City are totally free and begging is not allowed.

There is a dedicated Airport volunteer slot (Ride Wrangler) whose sole purpose in life is to match those who would like a scenic ride over the city -- with those pilots who are gifting rides at that time.

The operative words are, "...pilots who are gifting rides at that time." Before someone asks; NO. The pilots receive no monetary compensation and they pay for their own fuel and aircraft maintenance. It is their gift to the event.

Sometimes, there may be 10 pilots gifting rides and at other times there may be none. The pilots are all Burners just like you and they fly only when they wish. So you may have to wait a bit. But, you will get a scenic ride.

Also, some aircraft might have room for only one passenger and a few aircraft might have room for possibly as many as five passengers.

The Ride Wrangler does their best to try to fit a group into the same aircraft. But, due to space & weight limitations, and the density altitude at that moment; sometimes they may have to split a group between more that one aircraft.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:20 am

Absolutely wonderful gift. Go get a ride!

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 2019 location TBA

Post by Molotov » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:50 am

Does the Ride Wrangler operate in the week before the gates open? I thought I might come by when my work shift is over....

SunriseYoga
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Trouser Snake

Post by SunriseYoga » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:07 pm

I've heard rumours about a certain pilot... Captain Crunch who takes couples up to join an exclusive club. How do I find this particular pilot?

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:40 pm

I was gifted a ride by Coyote a few years back. It was an amazing experience! Not only did we circle the city, but he needed to do a fuel run to Winnemucca, so we got a bit more than your average circle tour! And ice cream at the Winnemucca airport! it was truly one of my fondest playa experiences!
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:14 pm

I just checked the Airport Shiftboard and Ride Wrangler volunteer slots begin on pre-event Thursday, August 24.

As always, gift rides are 100% contingent on whether or not there are any pilots gifting rides at that particular time. Pilots are Burners just like you and gifting rides are their contribution to the event and they receive no compensation what so ever.

Thursday pre-event seems a little early to me because most pilots who might be inclined to gift rides (and other Burners) have not even arrived on the playa. My best guess for obtaining a scenic flight would be after Monday when most folks are on the playa. The final Saturday and Sunday are not good choices.

--------------------------

It is my understanding that there are a limited number of pilots who have the room and/or remove seats who might be able to gift 'Mile High Club' rides. Since the elevation of playa is ~3,907 feet, you would not have to be all that high to join the 'Club'.

One would have to ask the Ride Wrangler if they know of any pilots who are so equipped and so doing at that particular time. If you need someone to verify that in fact that it did happen as you say it happened; I would be glad to ride along and video tape the proceedings.

Vidi ego exars.

SunriseYoga
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Trouser Snake

Post by SunriseYoga » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Meat Hunter wrote: It is my understanding that there are a limited number of pilots who have the room and/or remove seats who might be able to gift 'Mile High Club' rides. Since the elevation of playa is ~3,907 feet, you would not have to be all that high to join the 'Club'.

One would have to ask the Ride Wrangler if they know of any pilots who are so equipped and so doing at that particular time. If you need someone to verify that in fact that it did happen as you say it happened; I would be glad to ride along and video tape the proceedings.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'll do that for sure.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:33 am

We were sitting out at the airport, when a girl came bouncing out of the gates, and excitedly told us, "I just had sex in a plane!" We told her congratulations, and she went off to share her happy news with the world.

Hmmm. We assume she meant in the air, but you never know with those pilot types ... :lol:

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”