2017 Map?

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2017.
BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: 2017 Map?

Postby BBadger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:03 pm

If you see walls of RVs bordering blocks on the outer rings, they're just wind protection for the designated parking lots.*

* this is a joke.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

uncle sticky

Postby uncle sticky » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:34 pm

So those walls of RVs are there to mark where the hidden pit toilets are, and that's where I pee if I'm out that way? Thanks Badger!
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Popeye » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:56 pm

FTK wrote:
homo ardentum wrote:In years past the online map came out in mid-June. Don't know what's up this year!

Also of note is that the parking zone they had outside of L between 6 and 9 in 2016 is not shown this year.

Has the parking area outside of L between 6 & 9 been relocated? We will have a few cars we're looking to park outside our camp for part of the week. Thanks

The parking area has been discontinued because of a "human waste" problem. You are supposed to park in your camp. Landclaiming an area in the burbs creates problems for for burners who camp out there. No one wants to wake up in a parking lot. AND if you turn your car alarm on we reserve the right to turn it off by any means. Maybe a new use for a lag bolt?-- through the battery? :twisted: :evil:
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

uncle sticky

Postby uncle sticky » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:18 pm

I always just park in the walk-in camper area. To make sure I'm compliant, I push my car in.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:55 am

uncle sticky wrote:I always just park in the walk-in camper area. To make sure I'm compliant, I push my car in.

So do you need a vehicle pass if you push your car in? It's kind of like towing it.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

uncle sticky

Postby uncle sticky » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:20 am

I only push it once I'm at the signs that say "walk-in camping only". That way, I'm walking, with my car.

Crockett
Camp Name: Flirt Camp

Postby Crockett » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:11 pm

bdman wrote:Is there an 2017 Unofficial map of BRC which is user generated and shows camp locations? Like this one for 2016?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... E&hl=en_US

Here you go bdman: http://unofficialbrcmap.com

This URL will be updated with the latest map every year so you can bookmark it. Also you can follow updates here:
https://www.facebook.com/unofficialBRCmap/
Find me in the dust at Flirt Camp.

gboehm
Burning Since: 2017

Postby gboehm » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Birgin here. is there a way to load the map onto an android tablet and have it work when there is no network connection (so you can click on a location and get the details)?

Also - somewhere I read (and of course lost the location) that you can get a map for google maps that just shows the streets etc, so you can find your way around in a dust storm, as any google map can be pre-loaded and used offline with just the GPS function of the phone. Does anyone know where to find this?

Popeye

Postby Popeye » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:05 pm

gboehm wrote:Also - somewhere I read (and of course lost the location) that you can get a map for google maps that just shows the streets etc, so you can find your way around in a dust storm, as any google map can be pre-loaded and used offline with just the GPS function of the phone. Does anyone know where to find this?

Maybe this? https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7857073 ... a=!3m1!1e3
It's last years location with updated streets :roll:

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:31 am

https://burnermap.com/welcome.php How many of these are there? It seems like I've put my camp on 3 already this year.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Postby Traveller in Time » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:49 am

It will be entirely my idea, but I think it is strange to have to use a commercial exploited login to see something related to Burningman.

"social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships"
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Traveller in Time wrote:It will be entirely my idea, but I think it is strange to have to use a commercial exploited login to see something related to Burningman.

"social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships"

Thought the same thing. My first thought was "Ok, who's tracking what & why" so I chose not to use that. Not to mention it seems a little deceptive to click on a link that's not obviously associated with FlakeBook only to be directed to it.

I'd hate to consider FlakeBook to be the unofficial but generally accepted best source for this information. I guess there are probably a few apps out there with the same info. To be honest I usually use this information to make plans that I never follow through on so not having it is not a big deal. It's just that I know I will never see everything on the Playa and would hate to miss something/some camp that I would really be interested in.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Popeye

Postby Popeye » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:49 am

For https://burnermap.com/welcome.php Ghostery reports 3 trackers:
Google Analytics, Technocrati, Facebook Connect
Privacy Badger reports 7:
connect.facebook.net, ssi.googleanalytics, accounts.google.com, apis.google.com, fonts.googleapis.com, ssigstatic.com, www.paypalobjects.com

In other news, the only report for eplaya is fonts.googleapis.com which I Think means that Eplaya uses fonts from google. Prior to the upgrade there where no reported trackers on Eplaya.

Slug
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CampDIY

Postby Slug » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Thanks for that info Popeye. Never thought about who was tracking at ePlaya. And I've been off FlakeBook/FuckeryBook/Bookface for a long time.

[nominally related: Fuck FB.]

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:16 am

gboehm wrote: so you can find your way around in a dust storm,

So this part is what concerns me. If it is too dusty too see to navigate, the ideal is to park your ass until you can see. Most important if you are on wheels of any kind. We stopped on our four wheel bike because we simply could not see at all. Someone on a bike slammed right into us at full speed.

GPS maps do not show foot, bike, and mutant traffic.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”