Fire conclave up for adoption (7 people looking for a camp) -info in thread-

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2017.
yellowsubtab
Burning Since: 2015

Fire conclave up for adoption (7 people looking for a camp) -info in thread-

Postby yellowsubtab » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:22 am

I am posting this to many different social media outlets including reddit and Fb (Please feel free to make suggestions on other places I can post this to.)

My Fire conclave group just found out someone in our camp royally fucked up and didn't include us in their plans. Soooo basically we are campless.

We are now looking for a camp to adopt us. We know we can camp in general camping but their is so much about doing that that a lot of our camp mates aren't very thrilled about and we would love to find a small camp willing to adopt 7 burners. All but 2 people are veteran burners and we have all of our own infrastructure. So we wont really need anything more then a space to set up our tents.

Currently we have 2- 10x10 pyramid yurts, 1- 23' across Solpad and maybe 1-2 8 person tents. We also will be bringing in a large 20'x20 shade sail for the area. I believe there is also the possibility for 3 cars, and 1 Suv with a 15 foot open trailer. Our Group lead says we are able to park our cars elsewhere if needed. But the Trailer will need to be in our camp area.

If any one is willing to adopt these lovely caring and silly burners from Texas we would be nothing but grateful and we will be sure to bring nothing but love and dumb stories about how big Texas is.

Please Adopt these sweet burners!
Last edited by yellowsubtab on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Re: Fire conclave up for adoption (7 people looking for a camp) -info in thread-

Postby zorro sings » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:26 am

If you are looking for a "small camp" you may have some difficulty. By definition that would include small number of campers with most likely a small space. Your group would probably increase the population between 15-25 %.

However the real dilemma would be "2- 10x10 pyramid yurts, 1- 23' across Solpad and maybe 1-2 8 person tents. We also will be bringing in a large 20'x20 shade sail for our area. I believe there is also the possibility for 3 cars, and 1 Suv with a 15 foot open trailer..

That's a whole lot of gear for a space probably no bigger than 100' x 100' and most likely for a "small" camp 75' x 50'.

You mention in the above "our area". Not exactly what I would want to hear if camp unity were a goal.

Finally this all was probably written in haste to get the word out fast but next time at least mention how your 7 might make a camp better through contributions other than Texas stories. Good luck.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Fire conclave up for adoption (7 people looking for a camp) -info in thread-

Postby Ratty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 am

When you apply for placement you send a detailed map of exactly how everything fits. I can't imagine anybody having room for all your gear. Our placed camp gets a 50 by 50 foot space. We are jammed in there. Happily. You may have to resign yourself to finding a spot. It sounds like you don't need anything from another camp. The city doesn't fill up for days so relax. You bring the party.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:12 pm

The really great news is: you have seven people, and all your gear. Voila! YOU ARE A CAMP! You don't need to FIND a camp, you ARE one. Here's how it works - drive in when the gates open, find a space where no one else is camping, ask the neighbors if you can fit there, and set up!

Why does everyone now think they have to be with someone else's camp?

cranberries
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Postby cranberries » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Chowski wrote:The really great news is: you have seven people, and all your gear. Voila! YOU ARE A CAMP! You don't need to FIND a camp, you ARE one. Here's how it works - drive in when the gates open, find a space where no one else is camping, ask the neighbors if you can fit there, and set up!

Why does everyone now think they have to be with someone else's camp?

I guess it comes down to what they mean by "we don't need anything"? Maybe for them it goes without saying that a placed camp would have kitchen area, generators, showers and going without that stuff is the part of general camping that they don't want to deal with? But I'm with you, I don't get why camping at 3:30 and F (inside the placement zone) is so radically different from 3:30 and G.

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:03 pm

You are making a contribution by participating in the Fire Conclave. Yea!

But placed camps have higher and higher requirements for interactivity. What are you proposing to contribute to your new camp for their public interactivity? Maybe this year is a good one to not have to worry about the responsibility of participating in someone else's camp? Just a thought.

But hey, you might find the perfect camp!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

asr9754

Postby asr9754 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

7 of you should be able to find a good site not too far in the boonies. We love what fire artists bring to the event but I don't think we have room to add on at this stage. I hesitate to chime-in but as a person who does a lot of our questionnaire and layout application, I'd caution you not to blame them as "royally fucking up" and leaving you out. Were the 7 of you plugged in and actively involved in helping with the application process back in April to make sure you weren't left out? The camp application is a lot of work and often goes thankless, and camp leaders always get blamed when things go wrong, which they always do. Next year get active with the application and camp organization and you'll be able to avoid being left out. Anyway *End of Rant* and good luck!

spider
Burning Since: 2012

Postby spider » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:46 pm

I am a small camp of 1. I would like to adopt all 7 of you. Our camp almost always gets VIP placement at about 6:15 and I, though to spread our legs a little we have been known to occupy an adjacent lot. Though I have grown quite fond of this neighborhood, my camp is open to suggestions for re-placement. Everybody at my camp also spins fire, though our real common bond is our love of the Bavarian Game of Würstchenschnappen and we all go by the same name.

Camp Infrastructure:
All that sweet stuff your crew has + 10 ft Monkey Hut + Dusty Prius + Cooler full of sausages + Camp stove on a box (aka Kitchen).

Camp Responsibilities: Be awesome, Be kind, clean up after yourself, 10 principles yada yada yada.

Camp Fees: Bag of oranges

I am a four-time burner, but this year most of my camp (everybody but me) either chose not to attend, or failed to get tickets, and so now I have about 15 camp spots to fill. To join our camp please fill out the application below.

What is your name?

What is your quest?

What should we call our camp?

Where should we put it?

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:17 pm

Say YES to Spider. He has 6 posts but only one shows up. (I guess that means he has great attention to detail and revised his post 5 times). There's only one of him so you guys can take him, (2 out of 3 on the gravel), and if he doesn't show up no big loss. Start without him.

I have a feeling Spider doesn't have jack and he's planning to chill in your shade and eat your food. My advice is wing it.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Ratty wrote:I have a feeling Spider doesn't have jack and he's planning to chill in your shade and eat your food.

Doesn't matter, I'm still adding him to "Best of Eplaya" right after I fill out my application.

Mansoon

Postby Mansoon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:33 pm

Now that THAT'S over with... :roll:

You might consider us….
“Here is a bit about who we are and what we are creating for the 2017 Radical Ritual art theme at Burning Man this year.
Entheos
ἔνθεος
A Theme Camp at Burning Man
Entheos (ἔνθεος, as it is written in Greek) is a word which means, literally, “the god within.” It is the root of the English word “enthusiasm” and is, we believe, at the heart of the Burning Man principle of Immediacy.”
There’s a whole lot more, but you can look at our web page to see if we might be a good fit….
http://www.entheosrising.org
There a lot of stuff there, all about the shade structure for tents, contribution dues include food, etc. Our main camp leader is even a fire spinner and I think we're going to have a performance area (we did last year and had some shows). Might be right up your alley.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:54 am

I see these people as what's wrong with Burning Man.
Seven of you, all that stuff, and you STILL aren't willing to handle your own food/power/whatever it is you want someone ELSE to provide?
Exactly why aren't you a "camp"?
What part of being self reliant burners aren't you willing to deal with?
Was it really an accident that you were left out of the other camp's plans?

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:15 am

Mansoon your camp has some strange ideas. (It used to be 'Love" camp.) If I join your camp I can actually PAY someone to moop for me. Yippie. Send them over to my camp. We'll negotiate a price. (I'll be paying in half open liquor bottles and questionable warm lunch meats.)

From your site...
The LNT deposit will be $100 per camper and it will be fully refundable on playa if you stay until we completely break down the camp, clear the site and line walk the camp until it is completely free of MOOP.

If the entire camp of 150 people works together, there is no reason we cannot complete this by Noon on Monday following the Temple Burn. If the work falls to fewer people, it will take longer. Those who leave before the work is done are agreeing to contribute their LNT deposit to the mission of the camp. Fifty percent of the forfeited deposits will be divided amongst the people who stayed to do your work and fifty percent will be applied to the camp’s future needs. This is the fairest idea we could come up with and our goal is to make it clear that LNT is everyone’s responsibility.

zorro sings
Camp Name: Hostel

Postby zorro sings » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:28 am

Admiral Fukkit wrote:whatever it is you want

Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:05 am

My theory, it's a generational thing. Today everyone is selling 24x7. Selling themselves, their Etsy. Now we have camps selling themselves to campers and campers selling themselves to camps. The friends camping with maybe friends of friends made for a tighter culture. The other generational things I see are asking on the Internet "gimmie," a refusal or inability to search and snowflake expectations.

In the past, camps might have discounts for taking on more responsibility. The above camp is collecting $15,000 in MOOP deposits (since they have meals their additional dues are probably $45000 @$300 per.) The MOOP deposit takes the place of trust and responsibility between friends. And apparently they have campers willing to commodify that.

And they "need" to because their camp hasn't been able to get it's MOOP together, because trust and responsibility.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”