Shipping 1-ton van from San Jose to BRC?

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let people know about it here.
BrotherNomad
Burning Since: 2014

Shipping 1-ton van from San Jose to BRC?

Post by BrotherNomad » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:28 pm

I have a 2001 Ford econoline e350 extended cab RWD van with a broken down engine. I lived in it for last years BRC and would like it this year if someone can dead tow it roundtrip from South San Jose to BRC. Arrive in BRC Sunday August 27 and leave BRC August 4th.

I would like to avoid tenting it with a sedan this year, as that is my plan if I can't have this van shipped.

I don't know if the van can be flat towed or needs a dolly, the van weighs upward of 9600 pounds loaded and has an overhang behind the rear axles as it is an extended cab. This is a high top van with its highest point on flat ground being 8' 6", and there are two mirror mounted spring-loaded CB antennas that exceed this height.

For what I can do for you non-monetarily, I have a Honda eu2000 genset you can have power from (I'll handle the fuel), and you can fill the van with your cargo to and fro (provided it's out of the van in BRC so I can live inside). I am looking to sell this van and so if you're looking for a project van...

PM to discuss monetary compensation.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Shipping 1-ton van from San Jose to BRC?

Post by ygmir » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:43 am

I have a friend down that way who is coming up in his Ford Ranger. It has a tow package. I can ask if you'd like, and if he wants to, put you in contact?
Otherwise, good luck.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

BrotherNomad

Post by BrotherNomad » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:43 am

ygmir wrote:I have a friend down that way who is coming up in his Ford Ranger. It has a tow package. I can ask if you'd like, and if he wants to, put you in contact?
Otherwise, good luck.
Yes Please!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:00 am

No way a Ranger tows half that weight let alone close to 10K #

Minimum would be a well equipped 1 ton, preferably a diesel for the grades up/down the Sierra, and a full flatbed trailer.

The big problem on straight tow is the huge load with no brakes on it.

I don't think this is a realistic plan.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:25 am

Sounds like a lot of effort to tow a dead van to the middle of nowhere, just to have something to sleep in... And having to tow it all the way back home too.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Dude, giving someone the Honda - as in to keep - wouldn't cover it!
Flat towing that van would be a really, really bad idea. That's a lot of weight and no brakes. It's too heavy for a dolly, it can physically be done, but it's every kind of unsafe and wrong.
The right trailer for it would be a three-axle and/or gooseneck.
A two axle, 10,000 GVW trailer weighs at least 2000, usually more, and only has about 7500 carrying capacity. I've tried using mine for similar size and weight, behind a diesel dually, and the trailer isn't stout enough.
This is a big job.
A Honda EU2000 is about $1000 new.
That really doesn't even cover it.

Doing the motor in a van is an absolute bitch. I've done several. Almost 20 years ago I actually traded a nice van with a blown engine straight across for my first Burning Man ticket - and tickets were super cheap and plentiful then!

So enough "don'ts"... what would I do?
You could try to rent/borrow/buy a cargo trailer, much easier to tow than a van.
You could do a hexiyurt.
You can probably find a van that runs for what carrying yours out there and back would cost.
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/d ... 82619.html
That guy is asking $900 for an older pop-up trailer. Any car could tow it.

BrotherNomad

Post by BrotherNomad » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Jackass wrote:Sounds like a lot of effort to tow a dead van to the middle of nowhere, just to have something to sleep in... And having to tow it all the way back home too.

This van is equipped like a mini-RV sans wetbath (I do have a portable toilet that contains the poop), I've installed a kitchenette with pumped water sink, which drains into a water container, there is a bed platform with a memory foam mattress on it, house power system, solar panel on roof rack, house A/C (window unit in back window ran off grid by the HONDA), and I now have a Mr. Buddy for the chilly BRC nights. With all this installed inside the van I'm entertaining dead towing this rig this year.
Token wrote:No way a Ranger tows half that weight let alone close to 10K #

Minimum would be a well equipped 1 ton, preferably a diesel for the grades up/down the Sierra, and a full flatbed trailer.

The big problem on straight tow is the huge load with no brakes on it.

I don't think this is a realistic plan.
I've had this van towed with AAA on a flatbed, for less than two miles from the shop that discovered the engine problem (PM if you want to know whats wrong with the engine) to my parents driveway where it's sat for the last 7 months.
Admiral Fukkit wrote:...
Flat towing that van would be a really, really bad idea. That's a lot of weight and no brakes. It's too heavy for a dolly, it can physically be done, but it's every kind of unsafe and wrong.
The right trailer for it would be a three-axle and/or gooseneck.
A two axle, 10,000 GVW trailer weighs at least 2000, usually more, and only has about 7500 carrying capacity. I've tried using mine for similar size and weight, behind a diesel dually, and the trailer isn't stout enough.
This is a big job.
A Honda EU2000 is about $1000 new.
That really doesn't even cover it.

Doing the motor in a van is an absolute bitch. I've done several. Almost 20 years ago I actually traded a nice van with a blown engine straight across for my first Burning Man ticket - and tickets were super cheap and plentiful then!

So enough "don'ts"... what would I do?
You could try to rent/borrow/buy a cargo trailer, much easier to tow than a van.
You could do a hexiyurt.
You can probably find a van that runs for what carrying yours out there and back would cost.
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/d ... 82619.html
That guy is asking $900 for an older pop-up trailer. Any car could tow it.
I'd prefer not to go janky here. I brought up flat tow because I'm thinking it could be pulled like an RV pulls a toad, and brought up dolly because I'm thinking theres a super-duty tow dolly that could be rented. Is it possible to pull the van by it's reciever, backwards? I've never seen this done but I imagine the van could be put in neutral and the steering locked straight so it could be flat towed backwards.

I'm not crazy to think that a 10,000 pound conversion van can be pulled safely with nothing less than a 1-ton towing machine. I'm thinking there is a way to ship it without a flatbed car-hauler or actual tow truck.

I'm willing to trade this van with select amenities (PM me for a copy of the listing when I was trying to sell it) straight across for shipping it roundtrip to this years BRC. I'm even open to one way to BRC if I can dismantle non-included parts of the van, and have a ride for me, said parts & the rest of my stuff back to San Jose. I'm open to offers to have the van fixed by someone like Admiral Fukkit in exchange for the HONDA genset or a mechanics special price on the van (van delivered September 9th, 2017 post-BRC, you get title upon van arriving in BRC, hold onto title as collaterral).

I'm planning to convert a 28' cargo trailer to live full time in, I would buy it now if I could finance it and take delivery pre-burn. Then I would need to rent a uhaul to tow the trailer to BRC and back, unless somebody can ship the trailer for less. My family doesn't have a large van or truck to tow such a trailer.
I've thought of a hexiyurt.
Finding a van that runs to BRC and back is a great idea (that van would serve as a prime mover for the future 28' studio apartment trailer conversion). I have a loan offer on the fridge that can finance it (no gurantee i'll be financed from that).
If a pop-up camper can be towed by 2015 Ford Focus Sedan theres an option (I would need a tow package for the car)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:26 pm

It's so cute the way you love this vehicle. Every 10 years I trade in my van for a new one. I always have them maintained but guess what? Vans don't last as long as an 81 Mercedes Diesel. 10 or 15 years and they are at the tipping point of repair cost vs. replacement. Maybe my current one, Toyota, will last a bit longer. I had a 69 Ford 123 tricked out in 69 as a camper. I loved it to death. Best vehicle I ever had. Probably the most expensive too. Strip the goods off of your 15 year old van and move on. (Tough love here.) Nobody will love it and appreciate it the way you did.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:58 am

BrotherNomad wrote:
ygmir wrote:I have a friend down that way who is coming up in his Ford Ranger. It has a tow package. I can ask if you'd like, and if he wants to, put you in contact?
Otherwise, good luck.
Yes Please!
well dang, my friend said he's installed a 5th wheel hitch and is towing a flatbed with 5 water cubes out for his camp. He also mentioned that it'd be sketchy having no brakes on your van.
Sorry, just wanted to let you know asap.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Joeln
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:40 am

Snicker.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Towing backwards by the receiver hitch is one million percent out of the question.
It has to steer, you can't lock it straight, and the forward wheels have to do the steering. Hell, try backing up at 50 mph. It'll be a spectacular crash.
Sure, my Mutant Vehicle has rear steering but it only goes 5-ish mph.

Time is short, I'd focus my energy on a Plan B.
I totally get it, I wouldn't wanna go in less than a camper van either.
I think I'd look hard at the pop-up tent trailer option. You can buy one dirt cheap, pull it with the little car, then resell it afterwards. Maybe lose some $$ in the process, but it's Burning Man. None of us wanna think about what we've actually spent - but it's called having a life.

BrotherNomad

Post by BrotherNomad » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:27 am

ygmir wrote:
BrotherNomad wrote:
Otherwise, good luck.
Yes Please!
well dang, my friend said he's installed a 5th wheel hitch and is towing a flatbed with 5 water cubes out for his camp. He also mentioned that it'd be sketchy having no brakes on your van.
Sorry, just wanted to let you know asap.
Thanks.
Ratty wrote:It's so cute the way you love this vehicle. Every 10 years I trade in my van for a new one. I always have them maintained but guess what? Vans don't last as long as an 81 Mercedes Diesel. 10 or 15 years and they are at the tipping point of repair cost vs. replacement. Maybe my current one, Toyota, will last a bit longer. I had a 69 Ford 123 tricked out in 69 as a camper. I loved it to death. Best vehicle I ever had. Probably the most expensive too. Strip the goods off of your 15 year old van and move on. (Tough love here.) Nobody will love it and appreciate it the way you did.
So anything interested in a Mechanics Special? PM to make an offer.

I really don't like the high-maintenence drivetrain, and all the crazy systems the ford engineers have in the name of fuel economy. I do like the amenities inside the hard-walled climate controlled interior.
Admiral Fukkit wrote:...

Time is short, I'd focus my energy on a Plan B.
I totally get it, I wouldn't wanna go in less than a camper van either.
I think I'd look hard at the pop-up tent trailer option. You can buy one dirt cheap, pull it with the little car, then resell it afterwards. ...
The pop up camper option looks great, even more space than a van when popped up. If I can sell the van for enough money for a tow package for the 2015 ford focus sedan and a pop up camper that's good. I would want to hold onto the pop up after the burn but even if I sell it's would be cheaper than renting anything.
Maybe lose some $$ in the process, but it's Burning Man. None of us wanna think about what we've actually spent - but it's called having a life.
I can see two definitons to having a life in that context. The first is to worry about every cent and the second is to work in defaultia so you don't have to really think about what you actually spent.

I have another idea worth considering. I'm working to become a trucker, currently have my Commercial Learners Permit. Is someones open to having me stay in your bunk bed tractor in BRC in exchange for me helping drive a load to and from BRC?

BrotherNomad

Post by BrotherNomad » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 pm

I have another idea worth considering. I'm working to become a trucker, currently have my Commercial Learners Permit. Is someones open to having me stay in your bunk bed tractor in BRC in exchange for me helping drive a load to and from BRC?

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:17 pm

C. R. England trucking has a special exemption from the FMCSA regs requiring a licensed driver in the front seat while someone on a learner's permit drives, and I believe that's the only exception.
What that means is, you can't really "help" because you can't drive while the other driver sleeps. And San Jose isn't far enough away to need that anyway.
Unless you find someone with one of those huge "super sleepers" like the moving companies have, the bunk in a tractor hasn't any living facilities to speak of. Not to mention you'll thoroughly trash the inside of the truck using it as a playa home.

Time is ticking. You've got to start working on a realistic plan B.

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Oh, and never mind the pop-up trailer idea.
I checked, according to Ford, the Focus drivetrain is too light to tow anything at all.

Fix the van? Failing that, its hexayurt or tent time.

BrotherNomad

Post by BrotherNomad » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks for the advice AF.

Since I still don't have a ticket because I'm broke in defaultia dollars, I'm thinking of buying/being gifted someones ticket mid-week (somebody who can only stay in BRC Monday-Wednesday) and a vehicle pass. I would like to arrange this in advance but can hold a sign on 447 (if OK). This has been a bad year for me with multiple things happening that have drained my defaultia dollars.

Token

Post by Token » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:23 pm

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:31 pm

Um.... yeah.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:05 pm

You, my friend, are......

AWESOME

Best board troll in a year. Congrats.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Either a severely deranged hippie, or some master-class trolling right there.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:47 pm

This thread has some good ideas in it. OP should be considered for elevation to a mod in greeters.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:02 pm

I remember a CSI where a girl escaped prison by hanging under a vehicle. Of course it ended with gore, death and missing body parts. I'm not suggesting that you or anyone try this. It just popped into mind.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:51 pm

Is it possible to pull the van by it's reciever, backwards?
This should have been the tell.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:14 pm

BrotherNomad wrote:Thanks for the advice AF.

Since I still don't have a ticket because I'm broke in defaultia dollars, I'm thinking of buying/being gifted someones ticket mid-week (somebody who can only stay in BRC Monday-Wednesday) and a vehicle pass. I would like to arrange this in advance but can hold a sign on 447 (if OK). This has been a bad year for me with multiple things happening that have drained my defaultia dollars.
A ticket and VP can only be used once, by the original purchaser.
I'd hate to see you lose your money buying a "used" set.
It does not work, is not allowed.
Your only allowed entry is with an unused, ticket and V.P., legitimate ones, so make sure it's not fake.

If I understand your post, that you are going to try to buy a used set when someone has to leave early?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:39 pm

Anyone training to be a truck driver that thinks you can tow a van backwards by its trailer hitch, and didn't know Ygmirs "friend" with a Ford Ranger couldn't possibly tow it or a flatbed with three water cubes, shouldn't ever drive a heavy truck. I've been trying to be nice, but yeah... troll or hopeless.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:47 am

In either case, he has a bright future with Swift.

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:08 pm

Sure Wish I'd Finished Training

BrotherNomad

Post by BrotherNomad » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:32 am

A ticket and VP can only be used once, by the original purchaser.
I'd hate to see you lose your money buying a "used" set.
It does not work, is not allowed.
Your only allowed entry is with an unused, ticket and V.P., legitimate ones, so make sure it's not fake.

For the ticket, Im thinking because there are ins and outs for BRC, I could buy somebody's unnamed legitimate ticket stub, an unused vehicle pass; go to the gate and pay the $20 re entry fee to enter BRC mid-week, as I understand the rules (rules might be different or changed).

I've been for BRC '14, '15, '16. I really don't want to miss '17.

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:08 am

Brilliant! You should do that.

Netty58

Post by Netty58 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:30 am

And we'll be eager to know how that works out for you.

Return to “Rideshares & Resource Sharing”