A Rideshare location is where Burners can drive by and offer rides to those seeking rides to the playa. Go there if you need a ride or can offer a ride.
There are two Rideshare locations in Reno for getting/offering a Rideshare to BRC:
- Reno International Airport, or
- Keystone Save Mart
- Only ride with people you feel comfortable with. BRC is a great place, but Usual Rules Apply.
- Rides are gifted (free). Great if you can offer to chip-in with gas costs.
(More recently, we're seeing people offering/asking-for prearranged rides asking for chipping in on the vehicle pass too.)
- Some rides swing by a rideshare location before they get supplies in Reno, so they can take their rideshare passenger(s) along to get their own supplies at the same time.
- Other rides swing by after they've got all supplies and take passengers that already have all their stuff.
- So be clear if you need anything or not.
- Know what you need, and where to get it. If you haven't done your home work on supplies first, Air Playa Info at the airport can help you know where. You can bus/uber/taxi to get supplies around town then get to a rideshare location.
- You need a Vehicle Pass for the vehicle going to the playa.
- Everyone in the vehicle needs to have a ticket (in hand, or at Will Call). See below!
So expect to show your ride your ticket, and ask to see theirs.
(this has been on rare occasions to rob a ticket... but you need to know before you're turned away from Gate, sent off Playa and blacklisted)
- Custom: where you can, first waiting should be offered rides first. But be comfortable with your ride...
- If you're at the airport when Air Playa Info is open, then they will often assist as they can.
- Airport Rideshare is also Leave No Trace. Don't bring your packaging or garbage to the airport. Don't fill the airport's garbage/recycle bins with packaging you brought with you or bought around Reno, or brought back from the playa.
The Keystone location is usually a recycle location. You can swing by there first.
- Everyone needs to be wearing a seat-belt.
- Please drive slowly and carefully through the communities along the way to BRC (and never beyond the speed limit), and with your driving lights on (as per the communities' request, due to several incidents).
The shoulders can be surprisingly soft. Don't pull over unless it is safe to do so, or you may find the shoulder collapsing and rolling your vehicle over.
- Once you reach Fernley/Wadsworth and are heading North to the playa, DO NOT PASS. Really!
- (I shouldn't need to be adding this one, but...) Get gas and go to the bathroom before you leave!
For 2017, Air Playa Info at Reno International Airport is expected to be available 9am-10pm on Friday before Burning Man begins through Thursday during Burning Man.
Expect everyone in the vehicle to show that everyone has a valid ticket or willcall. Because if ANYONE in the vehicle is without (technically on the playa you're within the exclusion zone without authorization), then the vehicle licence plate is noted and the vehicle and everyone in it is turned away off the playa, and the vehicle has to take everyone back to Reno to drop off those without tickets, then make the trip back to the playa. If you manage to drop someone in Gerlach when the police or herders aren't watching then come back to the playa, the vehicle will be turned away and may be blacklisted for the event. (that might be "will be blacklisted", I'm not sure; if you're turned away, they will provide instructions, as instructions from the BLM and law enforcement may change too)
USUAL RULES APPLY: Be comfortable with those with whom you may share a ride.
(Uber, Lyft, taxis and friends offering to drop you off cannot go to the playa. They are not allowed within the exclusion zone. You must have a valid ticket (or willcall) and have a vehicle pass to go within the exclusion zone, or be registered with Burning Man as a commercial provider prior to the event. You can be fined or arrested.)