I don't get why you can buy in the pre-sale and then continue to buy tickets in the main sale.

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

I don't get why you can buy in the pre-sale and then continue to buy tickets in the main sale.

Post by Ano » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:43 pm

I don't think the pre-sale's intended purpose is an insurance investment, but that's what it appears to be for most. Buy a pre-sale ticket, go for the main sale, and if you can find a better ticket, spend the rest of the summer trying to offload it on Ebay/stubhub/facebook/etc, with varying degrees of success.

I remember the flood of people suddenly selling pre-sale tickets after the main sale occurred, for the past two years. I think that's silly.

I do not get the justification for allowing those who participate in the pre-sale to participate in other sales. If that is so, I feel like it is only fair that those who are participating in the low-income sales get to participate in the main sale as well, to secure their ability to attend. If they get a low-income ticket, they can then proceed to offload their main sale ticket for face value and make their cash back.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: I don't get why you can buy in the pre-sale and then continue to buy tickets in the main sale.

Post by gaminwench » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:06 pm

I also do not understand the reasoning behind this skewed system.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: I don't get why you can buy in the pre-sale and then continue to buy tickets in the main sale.

Post by AntiM » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:22 am

I don't get it either. However, no one said it was fair. Also, those 1200 tickets didn't actually unload at those prices, and even the 990s went for less. AS insurance policies go, those tier tickets were a bad decision for the buyers.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Here's my guess. Commodification Camps like White Ocean can only operate if they are able to sell their Premium Vacation Experience in advance. Specifically, if they have four or five people who buy up to the limit -eight each? - that is a good chunk of tickets. With an assured base of tickets, they can start advertising their camp to their intended marks. They can then spend the money renting RVs, buying water, hiring Mistresses of Merriment and waitstaff. Without a guaranteed block of tickets, they can't sell the package to the Parasite Class. They make their money on the end, charging $20,000 for a VIP experience - the extra they pay up front for the premium tickets is merely a cost which gets incorporated.

The question is, why does BMORG allow it? Why does White Privilege Ocean get placed year after year, even after building walled, secured and monitored VIP compounds and leaving piles of RED not only on their personal camping areas but on the "public" areas they use for hosting? My theory on this is two-fold and both have to do with human frailty. I've been to the Theme Camp Symposium at BM Headquarters in SF, and they forced us to listen to a woman talk about her for-profit hotel she runs on playa. They WANT to create opportunities for rich people to attend because they want rich people to become burners. Despite the very real evidence of what rich tourist types ACTUALLY do on the playa, they keep expanding opportunities (airport, commodification camps) for them to fly in, shit all over everything, and fly away while volunteer workers clean up after them.

Where I believe human frailty comes in is this - while BMORG clings to the defense of "radical Inclusion", they also earn profit from the Approved Vendors who service the COMMODIFICATION camps. They and their friends profit from the useless, feather-clad Paris Hilton types who will drop cash to get an instagram shot in front of art that a real Burner spent a year self-funding, making, driving to the desert and assembling. I mean, I don't think the BMORG people are bad, they just live and work in San Francisco, a city which has become insanely corrupted with the most inane and money-obsessed "creative" industry (tech) the world has ever seen. Programmers in San Francisco are the new trend setters (mostly because they've driven out everyone else), and they are, often, intensely self-involved, convinced of their own greatness, and not particularly creative, reflective, or artistic, inside or outside their work lives, so they have fostered a community whereby the spaghetti-armed techbros pay money to the actual artists to allow some the artist's cool to rub off on them so they might seem cool themselves.

So that's what I think and why I think it. Burning Man sucks. Don't go. Techbros ruined everything, and the BMORG allowed it because money talks. And I'll see you there.

uncle sticky
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp Settle This Like Men

Post by uncle sticky » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Early ticket sales act as seed money to get the BMORG up and running, that's why they don't care if you buy both. They don't want to discourage the higher priced tickets by penalizing the buyers. Does the insurance gambit work for the benefit of the burner? No. Does it work for the BMORG? Yes.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Let's be fair, Uncle, almost nothing about the entire ticketing process except STEP and the low-income sale work to the advantage of the average proletarian Burner trying to get a ticket. :mrgreen:

That said, I agree with Ano, specifically per the terms and conditions :

"UNLESS BRC EXPLICITLY STATES OTHERWISE, ONLY ONE TICKET PURCHASE PER PERSON AND PER CREDIT CARD IS ALLOWED."

Mind you, that's about as well enforced as this charmer :

"BURNING MAN EVENT TICKETS AND VEHICLE PASSES MAY NOT BE SOLD FOR ADDITIONAL MARK-UP BEYOND THEIR FACE VALUE, SOLD FOR PRIVATE PROFIT, OR UTILIZED TO PROMOTE OR RAISE FUNDS FOR ANY OTHER COMPANY OR PROJECT."

:lol:

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:16 am

Its called insurance my friend. Those of us that can afford it can do it. That said people were stuck with presale tickets that they lost money on last year. Presale is somewhat of a scam.
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

remi

Post by remi » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Early bird tickets (even tho they're +/-1200$) should have the regular price on the ticket (so it can only be resold at the reg.price face value.) Call the additional +/-600$ a early bird fee, apart from the ticket free that the original purchaser must eat the cost of if they decide to re-sell.

^^^ That should be plan 'B'.. really, BM should treat the early birds just like any other ticket sale... once you've joined it, you're unable to buy others.

I can't get to pissed off tho.. everyone games the system in one way or another. I, for example, am getting direct sale tickets through my theme camp and I'm also going to use my burner profile to apply for tickets to gift my parents. Should I be allowed to purchase 4 tickets? No. Can I? Yes. Will I? Yes.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:42 pm

i believe you have to use your burner profile to get DGS (at least last year I did). so are you sure you can purchase 4 this way?

of course I've been wrong before :shock:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:44 am

Last year, DGS was two tickets per person per invite as distributed by the theme camp. Guaranteed two, no more. No participating in the Main Sale if you used your invitation. While you could resell the tickets to anyone, they were supposed to go back into the theme camp, project, or village. Our Flounders made it clear that abuse meant no individual invite the next year. There were also fewer invites per camp issued than in previous years, so they were tight with them. Yes, we had to use out burner profiles for the DGS.

Pretty sure that four ticket loophole is closed.

remi

Post by remi » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:00 am

I'm not using my burner profile to claim the direct sale tickets because I will be out of the country. Someone else in my camp who isn't attending this year is graciously donating his time and profile to acquire these tickets leaving my profile open to acquire another pair of tickets to gift to a family member.

I wish BM went to non transferable tickets (even my regional is talking about doing it.) Until they do, there will always be people bending the rules.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:14 pm

Personally, I wouldn't be posting about bending the rules in a specific way on an official Burning Man board.

remi

Post by remi » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:38 am

Well, personally, I will post about every single way to game the system in hopes that they will change it so that people cannot do this.

gbus
Burning Since: 2015

Post by gbus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:15 am

I also find it bizarre given that I missed out on the 990 ones :D

Incidentally, how much do people tend to get for their 990 tickets after the main sale has been and gone?

DeGracht
Burning Since: 2020

Post by DeGracht » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:22 pm

I bought my presale tickets as a security.
Coming from the Netherlands, I will travel for 4 weeks before the Burn. And do not want to stress trroughout my vacation If I can obtain last minute tix.

If I am able to buy the main sale ones. I will split the extra costs between me and the person who missed out both pre- and main sale.
So 990,- + 425,- = 1415 / 2 = 707,50

ticket offer redacted by moderator

Return to “Tickets Discussion”