Multiple ticket buyers at the same address

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
Igneouss
Burning Since: 2009

Multiple ticket buyers at the same address

Post by Igneouss » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:49 pm

Does the ticket program have a problem with this? I am sharing a house with another burner. Seem to recall reading somewhere that the anti scalping algorithms had a problem with this. Searched a bit and didn't find anything. ???

Thanks!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Multiple ticket buyers at the same address

Post by BBadger » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:46 pm

There are no policies prohibiting multiple persons from the same household from purchasing tickets.

It would be difficult to prove whether scalping is actually occurring anyway. How do you really determine whether you're dealing with a barn full of hippie roommates trying to attend Burning Man, or a dastardly criminal scalping syndicate running out of a single drop house?

Anyway, given their resources, scalpers could easily bypass the process.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:38 am

Multiple people in the same house is okay, because families and roommates. However, remember that the name on the burner profile, ticketfly account, and credit card should all match or the order may be flagged for review by the ticket team.

@Bbadger, you'd be surprised. Pre-registration allows both Burning Man and the ticketing provider to start scrubbing the lists for known 'bad actors' and in the majority of cases they're able to prevent scalpers from gaining access to tickets. While some tickets to Burning Man do invariably end up getting resold above face value, the number of tickets available has historically paled in comparison to festivals and concerts. From the market research I've done over the last 5 years, the majority of sites offering tickets over face appeared to be brokering sales from individuals, and not moving quantities they'd scored through abusing the system.

engineer2012
Burning Since: 2012

Post by engineer2012 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:59 am

trilobyte wrote:Multiple people in the same house is okay, because families and roommates. However, remember that the name on the burner profile, ticketfly account, and credit card should all match or the order may be flagged for review by the ticket team.
Hi, question:
By "name" you mean family name I assume?
Worked out in 2015 but I have on my Burner profile, ticketfly account and credit card the same last name (family name), however the first name is different. My Burner profile has the same "first name" as on my credit card, being the first letters of my 3 fist names. My ticketfly account has my full first name (just the first first name).
First names do not matter as this worked well in 2015, family name shall be all the same, which is obvious.
"If you wish to go to extremes, let it be in sweetness, patience, humility and charity." - St. Philip Neri

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:50 am

My suggestion to anyone trying to buy tickets in the main sale. Have identical names on your burner account, credit card and mailing address. It's really not that difficult. And, don't forget to call your credit card company in advance. Let them know there will be a purchase. It turns out that you have to be lucky, organized and smart to buy tickets. Good luck.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

engineer2012
Burning Since: 2012

Post by engineer2012 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:45 am

Ratty wrote:My suggestion to anyone trying to buy tickets in the main sale. Have identical names on your burner account, credit card and ticketfly account and mailing address. It's really not that difficult. And, don't forget to call your credit card company in advance. Let them know there will be a purchase. It turns out that you have to be lucky, organized and smart to buy tickets. Good luck.
Done. All names, first and family name, are equal now, Burnerprofile, ticketfly and credit card. Email address was already the same one for both my burner profile and ticketfy. But this is claerly explained in the ticket info and FAQ.
Thanks
"If you wish to go to extremes, let it be in sweetness, patience, humility and charity." - St. Philip Neri

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:53 pm

trilobyte wrote:@Bbadger, you'd be surprised. Pre-registration allows both Burning Man and the ticketing provider to start scrubbing the lists for known 'bad actors' and in the majority of cases they're able to prevent scalpers from gaining access to tickets. While some tickets to Burning Man do invariably end up getting resold above face value, the number of tickets available has historically paled in comparison to festivals and concerts. From the market research I've done over the last 5 years, the majority of sites offering tickets over face appeared to be brokering sales from individuals, and not moving quantities they'd scored through abusing the system.
I hope they're silently giving those accounts 0% chances of obtaining tickets while letting them feel it's just bad luck.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

xsnjones
Burning Since: 2017

Post by xsnjones » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Questions!
Me and my fiancé want to attend burning man 2017. We are virgin burners! I've been wanting to go for years!! Looking forward to it. I am trying to figure out the registration process! When the registration opens and starts what website should I be on? I read about ticket fly? And needing a burner profile(I have one) Where would I put all this information? Any help or input on how to go through the registration and sales process? Also, I would be able to purchase two tickets under my name and info right?

burner von braun

Post by burner von braun » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 pm

xsnjones, I can understand how ticketing seems convoluted to someone new. Rest assured it will be discussed at length here on these boards when we get closer. While details can vary from year to year, one thing to understand is that the registration process is a three day window, during which you use your burner profile to register at your leisure and in return, you'll receive a personal code number. That number is what you'll enter on ticket sale day. You can register any time during the three day window (though I wouldn't wait until the last minute) and it won't have any effect on your place in line. Ticket sale day is when you want to be ready and quick on the mouse button at the predetermined opening moment (12:00:00 pacific time). You'll be able to choose to buy either one ticket or two, and a vehicle pass if you need it (though VP's may sell out before tickets, but that's another story). Again, it will all become clear as we get closer to the date. Good luck!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:15 am

Read the BM ticketing website. Also register for the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter (you get one once a month or so) for updates about stuff.

xsnjones
Burning Since: 2017

Post by xsnjones » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:01 pm

burner von braun wrote:xsnjones, I can understand how ticketing seems convoluted to someone new. Rest assured it will be discussed at length here on these boards when we get closer. While details can vary from year to year, one thing to understand is that the registration process is a three day window, during which you use your burner profile to register at your leisure and in return, you'll receive a personal code number. That number is what you'll enter on ticket sale day. You can register any time during the three day window (though I wouldn't wait until the last minute) and it won't have any effect on your place in line. Ticket sale day is when you want to be ready and quick on the mouse button at the predetermined opening moment (12:00:00 pacific time). You'll be able to choose to buy either one ticket or two, and a vehicle pass if you need it (though VP's may sell out before tickets, but that's another story). Again, it will all become clear as we get closer to the date. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help on direction!!

Return to “Tickets Discussion”