Ticket Questions from a Virgin

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
NappyHeadedHo
Burning Since: 2017

Ticket Questions from a Virgin

Post by NappyHeadedHo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:28 pm

hello everyone!

I registered my burner profile for the ticket sale tomorrow, but my boyfriend was not able to. I have a ticketfly account of my own and had planned on using his credit card to purchase our tickets. I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue. I tried to research myself, and I'm seeing that "technically" one is allowed to purchase tickets under a different name than the burner profile, but it just makes everything more difficult.

Basically, registration and ticketfly is in my name, but billing and shipping would be to my boyfriend's name. How much of a problem will this cause? Is there anything I can do before tickets go on sale to make our lives easier?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Ticket Questions from a Virgin

Post by BBadger » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:11 pm

Having a CC in the same name as the billing and shipping may be sufficient, but who really knows if the "name on the order" in "The name on the credit card used to purchase is the name on the ticket order" means the shipping/billing name or the profile/ticketfly account name. You could try emailing them to see what they say, but there is not much time.

In the end, if you don't have a payment method under your name, what choice do you have? Go for it and see how it turns out. Maybe email after the sale if you're fortunate enough to be able to buy something.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

LukyPhil
Camp Name: Straya

Post by LukyPhil » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:17 am

In this years pre-sale we weren't asked for a credit card name just the number, expiry and security code.

A camp buddy used my credit card on their Ticketfly account to purchase tickets in their name no problem.

I expect the new system is to make allowance for the use of prepaid over the counter credit cards.

This was a Will Call pickup order I don't know if that makes any difference.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

Jeremy757jones

Post by Jeremy757jones » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:08 am

You got this ginger! You should be fine.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:48 am

If you're successful in the sale, you should send an email to ticketsupport@burningman.org with your order # and pertinent details to explain the situation.

Burning Man does a few rounds of 'de-duping' to look for known and new scalpers, as well as flag suspicious purchases for human review (that's not an automatic canceling of the order, but more of a yellow alert that requires more behind-the-scenes work). The credit card (and yes they know from the numbers) should match the name on the TFly order as well as the Burner Profile, or it will likely be flagged for human review. If you do get through and send them an email, they should be able to add notes on the order on their end that not only ensure everything goes smoothly for you, but is easier for them on the back end.

Good luck!

NappyHeadedHo

Post by NappyHeadedHo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks for the insight everyone! Crossing my fingers for this sale!

LukyPhil

Post by LukyPhil » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:59 pm

trilobyte wrote:If The credit card (and yes they know from the numbers) should match the name on the TFly order as well as the Burner Profile, ............!
That's an interesting comment, it appears to contradict  PCI Data Security Standards.

If the only data stored is the last 4 numbers of a credit card number how is it possible to recall client information at a later date?

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Actually, it is. A card name would be verified at the point of sale (and not stored), and immediately trigger a name does not match flag and it's the flag that would stay on the file. Later, the review team could see burner profile details, ticketfly account details, and whether the name matched the account at the time of transaction.

LukyPhil

Post by LukyPhil » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:26 pm

trilobyte wrote:.......... Later, the review team could see burner profile details, ticketfly account details, and whether the name matched the account at the time of transaction.
If the name on the credit card is not stored how is it possible to conduct such an audit?

A retrospective review requires conformation data. as in: Do the names match the accounts at the time of transaction.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:29 pm

I'd suggest taking your questions up with the ticket support team.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:36 pm

LukyPhil wrote:If the only data stored is the last 4 numbers of a credit card number how is it possible to recall client information at a later date?
They wouldn't actually have to store all of the numbers. A one-way hash of the card number would enable them to check whether the same card was being used for multiple transactions, but wouldn't be reversible to the original number.

kiss-o-matic
Burning Since: 2012

Post by kiss-o-matic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Papa Bear wrote:
LukyPhil wrote:If the only data stored is the last 4 numbers of a credit card number how is it possible to recall client information at a later date?
They wouldn't actually have to store all of the numbers. A one-way hash of the card number would enable them to check whether the same card was being used for multiple transactions, but wouldn't be reversible to the original number.
Not sure about now, but I know for sure a couple of years ago this was being checked post... like very post... it might have been hashed but if the system wasn't smart enough to check for the same CC at POS, then I'm gonna assume it wasn't fancy enough to hash the credit card numbers.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”