Getting to Burning Man from Europe = mission impossible?

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
Manudemey
Burning Since: 2017

Getting to Burning Man from Europe = mission impossible?

Post by Manudemey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:54 am

Hello,

We are a couple from Antwerp, Belgium Europe. Getting to Burning Man has been a wish from us for a couple of years. This year we finally decided to go for it. Being new we tried to get as much info as possible on what to do to be able to participate. There is a lot of info on the website but I must say that it is an awful lot of info to soak up and get your head around. How to get there... Figuring out where to sleep... The registration process,... BRC participation... Getting tickets...
So we tried to get as much info as possible... we started with the problem of getting there and having a place to stay so we decided to buy plane tickets (since we are living in Europe and Burning Man takes place in the summer vacation we have to book our flight really early! ) after that we tried booking an RV which was already very difficult even so many months in front. Our first problem rose up since all RV rentals are closed on sunday 3 september and also on monday 4 september (which appears to be Labour Day (an holiday we don't know about in europe) making it impossible for us to catch our returning flight. So we had to rebook our flight costing us 500 $ cancellation fine.

Also the RV rentals are very cautious when it comes to people going to Burning Man so we have to pay 1000 $ deposit and they refuse to let us book a cleaning service. When we asked how much it would cost to have them clean the RV we got the answer:
According to the information, they will lose their deposit as it is what the deposit is for.

So OK we go with it. It's january 2017, we have a booking for a very expensive RV. We have a very very expensive plane ticket and now we are waiting for the chance to buy tickets.

The ticket system is incredibly complicated. You have to master the difference between Presale, Group sale, Main sale, STEP, OMG. A lot to soak up when it's your first time.
We figure out it's the Main Sale we need. So we try to figure out how to buy tickets in the Main Sale: Apparently we need a Burner profile. OK so we fix that. We need a Ticketfly account. OK so we fix that. We need to register 2 days before the sale tickets. OK so we do that. Now, you would think that after all this registering and logins and all the trouble that you will finally be able to buy the damn ticket. After reading tons and tons of info on the website you think you finally figured it out. But not once did I read that getting a ticket could be a problem. That the demand is much bigger than the supply. That getting a ticket is very difficult. You don't mention that anywhere!
I even got a mail the day before with a friendly message and a handy link that would bring me straight to the right page to (effortlessly?) let me buy my ticket (in all calm and serenity and without problem?).
The mail even says (and I quote):
During the Main Sale you may buy up to two (2) $425 tickets and up to one (1) $80 vehicle pass, if available.

Now if that is not a confusing message... I read that as: "When I click the link I will be able to buy 2 tickets and a vehicle pass". Proves to be that nothing is less true.
No mentioning of possible problems, no mentioning of there being a chance that I won't get tickets.
If you let people register 2 days in advance you give the impression that buying tickets is only a formality.Which it is not at all... but you don't mention that anywhere!! Not on the website and not in the mail.

So now I'm sitting here in Belgium Europe, with a very expensive RV rental and a very very expensive plain ticket both of which are totally useless.
WTF?

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Getting to Burning Man from Europe = mission impossible?

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:29 am

Please do not give up.

You are not the first to be confused with the "registration". What registration does is to give BMHQ time to filter out the scammer who might try to buy multiple ticket. It gives them time to crosscheck names, e-mail address's, etc. if this helps any 70,000 people were trying for 30,000 tickets.

There is still the OMG ticket sale and also the Burning Man sponsored Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP).

Register for both of these ticket sales the moment that ticket registration opens. I have heard folks say that both of these are first come-first-served. I have no personal experience.

As we get closer to the Burn, for any number of reasons, some folks will not be able to attend and they often list their tickets for sale on E--Playa which is a BM sponsored blog.

Several suggestions for snagging a ticket on E-Playa: (1) Watch as continuously as possible, (2) When you see a ticket listed, DO NOT just post and expect the seller to contact you --- because they will not, (3) Be proactive and contact the seller as many ways as you can and preferably make verbal contact, (4) Use only PayPal or some other payment method that offers you some level of buyer protection, (5) DO NOT send cash, money order or check, (6) If you do not already have a PayPal account, open one NOW. (7) The first person who makes positive contact with the seller and who can close the deal immediately will be the one that gets the ticket.

When beauty and brains lose out, persistence often wins out in the end.

Sure hope to be seeing you in the dust.
Last edited by Meat Hunter on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

DeGracht
Burning Since: 2020

Post by DeGracht » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:40 am

I will leave the snarks for the second page.

Yes, you are right, it's a lot to soak up. Try to be positive. There are 3 more sales and lots of tickets around.
Stay calm and join a local burner community and do not be afraid to ask on different Facebook groups.

The Playa provides

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:28 am

( It appears that a couple of you have already spoken up, so at this point much of my post may be just a repeat, but I've already taken the time to write this flippin' thing, so here goes... )
_ _ _ _ _

Sorry to hear about your struggles Manudemey. Let me mention first off, just so you know, that no one here is directly affiliated with the Burning Man organization. We're all just a bunch of people like you that like to go to the event and then talk about it.

I agree that learning about Burning Man is certainly a lot of information to try to digest all at once. I suppose on the main site they don't lead with the supply/demand ticket issues, but there are plenty of blogs there that do, and certainly if you look around here on eplaya and elsewhere it is hard to escape talk of the ticket shortage. In that ticket email you spoke of, the "if available" refers to this uncertainty. It's been like that for several years now. Realistically, there is little you could have done differently in the main sale had you been more aware of the ticket shortage anyway though. A whole lot of fine people came up short today.

I recommend that you continue to take the time to become more familiar with the many factors involved with attending the event by spending time here on eplaya. By doing so, over time it may help you avoid some misperceptions and potential pitfalls. I also want to say that I greatly admire people who make it to the burn from overseas, as the difficulty level is compounded, and it's not an easy thing even if you live close by.

Ticketwise, at this point you'll need to consider the STEP and OMG ticket sales, but those are quite limited. There may be some 'DaVinci' level tickets available, but if there are, they are very pricey. Another good option is to start to network with burners, and look for any regional groups in your area.

Regarding your RV, you'll need to allocate the time to clean it strenuously after the event if you want to keep your deposit. It's not really possible to keep it clean on the playa, though again, if you research here you'll find many suggestions that will go a long way toward reducing how dusty the inside will become.

You can still make going to Burning Man happen this year, but you'll need to continue to focus your effort, and the more effort you put into learning and research, the more people here will be inclined to help you sort things out. This is a tough bump in the road, but I've seen people overcome much worse circumstances and end up shining brightly at the burn. Good luck!!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:32 am

One of the first things you need to learn about Burning Man is that expectations set you up for failure.

There's a good chance you will not find tickets unless you're willing to fork over $1000 each for some presale tickets people will eventually hawk on the ticket board. So you've gotta decide: do you pay $2000 more to make your other thousands of dollars not "useless" or do you have a contingency plan for that week in case you don't find tickets?

To be honest, I don't really hold much sympathy for your surprise at the ticket process here, or the shattering of your illusions that you're not guaranteed to find a ticket. While the ticket buying process is a pain and sucks, that fact has not been hidden from view for the past few years. Tickets have sold out since 2011, and every year it's a total shit-show finding tickets, and there is information and history everywhere on the topic.

Maybe Trilobyte, the main moderator here, should have left the previous years' ticket forums up as a stark reminder of how much the ticket buying process can suck, just to lower expectations. Then you could read how every year there are endless tickets-wanted posts, but few for-sale posts. That the most common for-sale posts are for those $1000 presale tickets people are trying to offload because they found cheaper tickets. That there are many plans ruined by ticket scarcity. None of this is new, and the information is not just here on ePlaya, but on Reddit, and news websites (e.g. this).

Why you had this illusion that this would be anything else can only be explained by a lack of research. Ideally, you would have read up and planned on this trip at least a year in advance, not just a few months before the ticket sale. Even so, a few months should've been enough time to read up. If you were confused or had questions you could then ask them here on the forum or directly from BM.org's staff via email. All that, before paying thousands of dollars for a trip you may never realize.

So prepare yourself to either pay for overpriced, presale-priced-but-not-actually-presale tickets, or find something else to do with your week while other people get dusty.
Last edited by BBadger on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

berzins
Camp Name: Opulent Chill

Post by berzins » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:41 am

Hello Manudemey!

I hear ya. Coming from Brazil, heavy logistics involved. :D

I did not chose the RV for two reasons (cost / pain in the ass), and will go with the classic SUV + Tent. Got lucky with my mojo and scored two tickets and a vehicle pass yesterday.
Manudemey wrote:. (....) There is a lot of info on the website but I must say that it is an awful lot of info to soak up and get your head around. How to get there... Figuring out where to sleep... The registration process,... BRC participation... Getting tickets...
So we tried to get as much info as possible...
Better lots of information than no information at all, don't you think? 8)

(....)
So OK we go with it. It's january 2017, we have a booking for a very expensive RV. We have a very very expensive plane ticket and now we are waiting for the chance to buy tickets.
Yeah, expensive is the word. I hear a lot of burners complaining the ticket got heavier pricing these days, but I consider this as an investment, as Burning Man is something I wanted to experience for a long time. It's all on how you see the expenses, the preparation, and all the small battles that come with it. Burning Man is not about the money - but then again, it is a personal choice and I understand you are worried about everything you spent
The ticket system is incredibly complicated. You have to master the difference between Presale, Group sale, Main sale, STEP, OMG. A lot to soak up when it's your first time.
We figure out it's the Main Sale we need. So we try to figure out how to buy tickets in the Main Sale: Apparently we need a Burner profile. OK so we fix that. We need a Ticketfly account. OK so we fix that. We need to register 2 days before the sale tickets. OK so we do that. Now, you would think that after all this registering and logins and all the trouble that you will finally be able to buy the damn ticket. After reading tons and tons of info on the website you think you finally figured it out. But not once did I read that getting a ticket could be a problem. That the demand is much bigger than the supply. That getting a ticket is very difficult. You don't mention that anywhere!
If you take a look on the forum in 2 minutes or less you will see a lot of horror stories from people that were not able to secure their tickets at the main sale. One of the principles of Burning Man is self reliance, and I am afraid that this extends to the digital side as well (If I am wrong, I am sure lots of people will correct me =) ).
Now if that is not a confusing message... I read that as: "When I click the link I will be able to buy 2 tickets and a vehicle pass". Proves to be that nothing is less true.
No mentioning of possible problems, no mentioning of there being a chance that I won't get tickets.
If you let people register 2 days in advance you give the impression that buying tickets is only a formality.Which it is not at all... but you don't mention that anywhere!! Not on the website and not in the mail.

So now I'm sitting here in Belgium Europe, with a very expensive RV rental and a very very expensive plain ticket both of which are totally useless.
WTF?
I may be wrong on my interpretation, as English is my second language, but in no way the Burning Man site states that your tickets will be guaranteed. It's a matter of a limited number of spots and a increasing interest on the event. If you are not able to go through STEP and OMG sales and secure your tickets, you can always return the reservations and reduce your loss.

Keep the faith and try these sales, paying attention to the registration date for STEP. Wish you luck, friend :)
“Be authentic to your dreams. Be authentic to your own idea about yourself. Grind away at your own minds and bodies until you become your own invention. Be Mad Scientists.”
― Warren Ellis, Doktor Sleepless,
-findme at berzins*at*gmail------

berzins

Post by berzins » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:45 am

One of the first things you need to learn about Burning Man is that expectations set you up for failure.
HEAR HEAR. Most truthful thing I read last week. Thanks for this.
To be honest, I don't really hold much sympathy for your surprise at the ticket process here, or the shattering of your illusions that you're not guaranteed to find a ticket. While the ticket buying process is a pain and sucks, that fact has not been hidden from view for the past few years. Tickets have sold out since 2011, and every year it's a total shit-show finding tickets, and there is information and history everywhere on the topic.

(...)

Why you had this illusion that this would be anything else can only be explained by a lack of research. Ideally, you would have read up and planned on this trip at least a year in advance, not just a few months before the ticket sale. Even so, a few months should've been enough time to read up. If you were confused or had questions you could then ask them here on the forum or directly from BM.org's staff via email. All that, before paying thousands of dollars for a trip you may never realize.

So prepare yourself to either pay for overpriced, presale-priced-but-not-actually-presale tickets, or find something else to do with your week while other people get dusty.
Savage. Loved it sir! /tipsthehat

See ya in the Playa.
“Be authentic to your dreams. Be authentic to your own idea about yourself. Grind away at your own minds and bodies until you become your own invention. Be Mad Scientists.”

leia

Post by leia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:35 am

Hello Manudemey,

the good news - it is not mission impossible getting to BM from Europe - even if english is as bad as mine.

I'm from Germany and did it twice so far and once more will happen this year.

The bad news - it is expansiv and it needs really lot of logistic work and information to make it.

At my first year I didn't know anybody who has ever been there - I planned, organized and travelled together with my 18 year old (underaged) daughter - what means I was resonseble for everything (and had to pay for everything). And it was the trip of of our lifetime so far.

We had luck at the main sale every year so far (luck please never leave us), never rent ed an RV (stayed in a tent) and found a great camp (which unfourtunatly wont come this year :-( ) with basic infrastructur.

Meanwhile we are better connected, own a storage for our dusty stuff and have some experience in dessert survival. I'm full of hope to finde another freaky-lovley cam for us again and we will have another amaizing happy burn.

If you you have further questions feel free to ask....

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:47 am

To the OP, the event will always cost more money than expected. We have detailed our rental RV which we were careful with - no shoes inside at all. $1000 is about right for how long it took 5 of us to clean it.

There are all kinds of ticket sale scams which burners encounter every year. Do not be one of those burners.

Are you signed up with Jack Rabbit Speaks? Read the past year's posts?

This is a perfect illustration that there is a huge value in making face to face connections to other burners before planning your virgin year.

Your greatest challenge may be the psychological intensity of the event itself.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Manudemey

Post by Manudemey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 am

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my somewhat frustrated rant.
It's starting to slowly sink in how naive we were to think that buying a ticket would be a formality.
It's probably very true that if you are involved in Burning man for a couple of years running, that the ticket problem would be very obvious.
In my defense, I would like to say that if you start planning your Burning Man experience say... 10 months in advance (like we did) and you visit the website in december, the website is kinda static and the forum is dead. To experience what I did experience, you should try going to http://burningman.org/ and click all the links from the main page and read all the articles and faqs and you will notice that not once is there mentioning that there is a serious ticket shortage. Not even in the FAQ or on the ticket page.
Also, we thought that travelling to the US and trying to keep alive in the desert would be our main challenges so we mainly read up about that. Not once did I think: I should check if buying an entrance ticket could be a problem. I was focused to much on the other challenges (finding a place to sleep - how to travel there - participation? - what is a camp? - what to bring - etcetera etcetera).
Now that I realise that buying a plane ticket and hiring an RV before you have an entrance ticket in your pocket is extremely stupid and so the second realisation is that I will never be able to attend Burning Man since waiting until april before buying a plane ticket from Europe to the US is also extremely stupid.

But OK, we are much wiser now. Thanks for the replies.

If anyone has 2 extra tickets and can't find a place to stay, our RV has room for 2 more people :-)

antio

Post by antio » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:57 am

Hey Manudemey,

I'm coming from the UK and had very similar logistical challenges to face. I have to start by saying that the pain with the tickets was really obvious to me from when I started researching about this back in November last year. However, don't give up, as there are 2 more sales - register as early as you can for STEP, but don't hold your breath. The OMG sale is a better bet, but still be on the lookout in the forum as well.

A word of advice: DON'T pay some random scalper over the odds and be careful with HOW you pay - choose a safer method (e.g. PayPal) and accept the fees if you have to, in exchange for peace of mind.

Even if you don't manage to get tickets... If you can't get a refund on tickets, just prepare youself for a different kind of adventure! Go to Yellowstone. Or try Big Sur. Do a bit of Route 66. Just have a roadtrip, America is beautiful! :)

Good luck!

leia

Post by leia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:19 am

Manudemey wrote:
Now that I realise that buying a plane ticket and hiring an RV before you have an entrance ticket in your pocket is extremely stupid and so the second realisation is that I will never be able to attend Burning Man since waiting until april before buying a plane ticket from Europe to the US is also extremely stupid.
Can't say anything about the RV.... but I booked my planetickets in December - and did the same the years befor, cause I can't afford the airfare in August for two when I'll waiting until March. And every year I had sleepless nights for the ticket-reason. But In my first year I learned that there where so many more chances to get a ticket if your are well connected e.g. with a camp that I was a little more relaxed the next years. Even if our challenge was way more difficult this year because we are peps.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:35 am

Lots of people manage to make it to the burn from overseas. Thousands.

Instead of an RV, you could bring a tent and join a theme camp. AND you'd still have enough left over to buy the $1200 tickets.

I'm not sure how you've been following the event for years and are not aware of ticket problems.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:42 am

Manudemey :
A: Do not cancel flight or RV today.
B: I will send you a PM (Private Message) to discuss this in more detail.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Manudemey wrote:In my defense, I would like to say that if you start planning your Burning Man experience say... 10 months in advance (like we did) and you visit the website in december, the website is kinda static and the forum is dead.
Perhaps, but a website that is static usually reflects the how things went down in the previous year, and usually what to expect in the upcoming year. Also, you shouldn't assume that just because there isn't much activity on a forum, that it is dead. If anything, it means any posts or questions your field will receive extra attention. It is better to ask rather than assume.
To experience what I did experience, you should try going to http://burningman.org/ and click all the links from the main page and read all the articles and faqs and you will notice that not once is there mentioning that there is a serious ticket shortage. Not even in the FAQ or on the ticket page.
Yes, the BM website is information-sparse, navigation is a maze, and the majority of it is a marketing tool rather than anything of real use. However, given how useless the BM website can be, why rely on it exclusively for your information?

For such an expensive trip you should consult many different sources of information to determine the best way to guarantee a positive outcome. Learn from other peoples' experiences.
Also, we thought that travelling to the US and trying to keep alive in the desert would be our main challenges so we mainly read up about that. Not once did I think: I should check if buying an entrance ticket could be a problem. I was focused to much on the other challenges (finding a place to sleep - how to travel there - participation? - what is a camp? - what to bring - etcetera etcetera).
All fine and good, but the first order of business is to actually have a ticket in the first place. Some people spend extra for presale ticket just to ensure that they are guaranteed a ticket. They used to be a lot cheaper (about 1.2x the cost of a normal ticket), but now they're about 2x.

That may still be your option, as many people try offloading their presale tickets after they've secured cheaper tickets (much to the chagrin of many burners). It'll cost you though: about twice as much per ticket. Check out the ticket forums when they have opened if you're willing to go that route.
Well since you've already invested thousands of dollars/euros into your trip, you may as well consider spending another $1000 on the resold presale tickets if/when they come up. Last year they were available up until about August, giving you time to potentially find cheaper tickets. You may even be able to negotiate a price mid-way between the full presale price and the main sale ticket price.

It sucks, but in many ways this is how it goes for people traveling from Europe. It costs a lot to book a plane that is not well in advance, but that means you may be caught out without a ticket unless you buy a presale ticket or something else. That I have sympathy for.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

homo ardentum
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Carnivore

Post by homo ardentum » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:06 pm

Not quite the second page, but here we go....
Over the 10 month preparation period, you seem to have been light on reading all the great stuff on this site. True, its not all organized that well, but I love it when I find some gem of wisdom tucked away in some dusty corner of the web site.

This, however, was right out on the coffee table -
http://journal.burningman.org/2016/04/b ... cket-sale/

Use Principle #4 to get your tickets this year...or you can wait until April 5 and shell out more $$$ to assure yourself of a ticket. They will be available on your Profile Page for $1,200 a pop. Since you've already spent a bucketload of cash to get here, a little more will get you over the top!

Oh, and if you do get out there in the RV, be sure to check out the RV tips below or you will surely suffer on the playa. Good luck!!!

viewtopic.php?f=277&t=78622

Eddaytona
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Black Hole Literary Society

Post by Eddaytona » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Didn't see it mentioned above. Don't forget if you are driving in you will also need a vehicle pass as well as tickets. Otherwise you'll be in for a nasty surprise. Just more money. Whew.
One day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny.

OscarElGrunon

Post by OscarElGrunon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:37 am

Not to be an ass, but if you are stuck with a plane ticket and an RV rental you know what you have? A pretty kick-ass trip to the Western United States planned. Reno/SF are near Yosemite National Park and you could RV into there (note it also requires making reservations months in advance, but it's not as pricey). That sounds awesome!

There are so many natural wonders in the Western US that I am jealous of your trip. I would love to do it one year. But not this year as I have a ticket to something called burning man :/

PS I used to live in Belgium when I did a student exchange in the 1990s. Salut mon ami!

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:47 am

So you've spent his money renting an RV, and have spent money booking a plane, but I don't see anywhere in your screed where you talk about all the time and money you've spent on what you are BRINGING to Burning Man. I mean, what is your art piece? What Theme Camp are you building? What volunteer teams have you signed up for? What is your gift to the people of Black Rock City? Because if what you are planning is to come to Burning Man so you can party in the desert, you can go do that anywhere, and leave tickets for those of us who actually contribute to the event. If you want to spend all that money to come over here and be an observer, a taker, a tourist at the event we produce, I don't feel too bad for you. Apparently, you also didn't read the part where Burning Man is a participant-driven event. That nothing happens unless YOU make it happen. If you just want to party, I hear Ibiza is lovely this time of year, and has amazing DJs and you can wear all the feathers you want.

One less European tourist. What a loss.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:50 am

OscarElGrunon wrote:Not to be an ass, but if you are stuck with a plane ticket and an RV rental you know what you have? A pretty kick-ass trip to the Western United States planned. Reno/SF are near Yosemite National Park and you could RV into there (note it also requires making reservations months in advance, but it's not as pricey). That sounds awesome!

There are so many natural wonders in the Western US that I am jealous of your trip. I would love to do it one year. But not this year as I have a ticket to something called burning man :/

PS I used to live in Belgium when I did a student exchange in the 1990s. Salut mon ami!
So much this! The Western US has a lot to offer. Enjoy your time here, whether you get tickets to Burning Man or not.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:15 pm

WELL, NOW....
Manudemey's posts read a bit different to me than how Chowski apparently reads them.

Especially, I note "...BRC participation..." in the first post, and "...participation?..." in the second.

I have long advocated some form of apprenticeship for new Burners. And whenever someone tells me "I want to go to Burning Man", I routinely ask "What would you contribute to the community?"

As a camp lead, I vet dozens of inquiries for camp membership every year. And perhaps I have developed a little bit of a nose for insincerity in this regard.

And to my nose... the outright accusation of unmitigated spectatorship seems unwarranted.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:45 pm

Ouch, that's awkward.. you did enough research to pick up on the idea of booking RV's and airfare in advance of a ticket sale (because they can be hard to come by and rates go up fast as availability goes down), but you completely missed the very obvious and very loudly talked about bit (here and on other online communities) that tickets can be very difficult to come by (the event first started selling out of tickets in 2011).

You have a couple options. You can either continue your quest for event tickets (look around in the after-market, participate in your regional group and ask around, sign up for STEP, etc), or you can decide that's too much bother (or too stressful). We do not allow the listing of RV reservations on these boards, but if you do some looking around you may find groups on FB or other sites that would allow such listings. Regardless of what you choose to do, good luck!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:52 pm

Sure hope we didn't scare Manudemey away from ePlaya. Partly because... I already have a Belgian couple in my camp, and there might be potential for collaboration -- such as perhaps sharing some resource or other.
Oh well. Can't win'em all.

Manudemey

Post by Manudemey » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:43 am

Hello Everybody,

Thanks for reaching out to us after my somewhat desperate and exaggerated post in the forum.
It's heartwarming to feel the warmth and passion coming from so many people. Maybe some reactions are a bit harsh but it shows the involvement and dedication and did a good job at pressing my nose on the facts.
Anyways... thanks to you all we have our tickets now, so maybe it shows that indeed do tickets find their way to you if you are dedicated to Burning Man.

I will not be answering all of your comments individually, but here are some general answers to some of your remarks/advice:

- yes it's true our research wasn't thorough enough. We concentrated to much on 1. getting there 2. a place to sleep 3. participation 4. desert survival. Getting tickets we stupidly forgot about. My bad.

- yes, it is true that the Western United States make for a pretty kick-ass trip. We did that some years ago. To be honest we wouldn't have minded to do it a second time if the tickets wouldn't have come through.

- yes it is our intention to be participating and not just be observers.

For those who know nothing about us but found it necessary to exclude us based on a presumption of who we are (an image that they created themselves), I would like to remind you of the first principle of The 10 Principles of Burning Man:

Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.

Thank you all for being involved.
See you at Burning Man!

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:51 am

Pressing your nose to the facts is part of radical inclusion:D
You will also have to bear with that part of radical inclusion.

You are doing it good. Congrats with the tickets. You can not be over prepared.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

carefactornil
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Cheese Camp

Post by carefactornil » Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 am

Firstly, welcome & congrats on now getting tickets so quickly - well done!

I appreciate there was probably some fairly understandable emotions going on before you got the tickets, but let me pick up on one thing:
Manudemey wrote: Now that I realise that buying a plane ticket and hiring an RV before you have an entrance ticket in your pocket is extremely stupid and so the second realisation is that I will never be able to attend Burning Man since waiting until april before buying a plane ticket from Europe to the US is also extremely stupid.
I'm from the UK and this is my 7th year. 5 of them have been since it started selling out and the tickets became an issue.

I still usually book my RV back in Oct-Dec the year before. You get the best prices. I also book flights around the same time. Yes, it's taking a risk, but if you are really being part of the community then I've never heard of people wanting BM tickets that badly who never found them. But you have to work at it. In the UK there are now tons of people who go to BM and have all sorts of communities, large and small. I dare say if you look out there there's at least 1 burner community of sorts in every country in the world. Being involved with them, making friends, going to (or creating!) a regional burn event (it's no longer just BM!) are all great ways to not only make some of the BEST friends you'll ever find and have some crazy adventures, but ALSO a great way to find tickets if you luck out in the main sale. Works for so many people I know in the UK.

Here's the good news - you will go to BM and it will most likely BLOW YOUR MIND, regardless of how much you know about it. But as others have said, try and keep expectations low - just go with the flow, be prepared to adjust and take time out when you're there.
The experience may well completely change your life - it does for so many in a variety of wonderful ways.
Assuming you like it, start checking out all the amazing regional burns in Europe that are there. We have London Decompression in November where something like 2000+ people come for a 1-night event. We have Burning Nest, our main regional in May (I'm there next week, can't wait!), there's tons of mini-burn events, burn-style parties, gatherings, a monthly meet up in London and this is just SOME of what happens in the UK. There's the main European burn, Nowhere, in Spain in July which has been going for ages. Kiez Burn is starting in Germany this year, Borderlands has a lot of people who rate it very highly and there's just heaps of others too.
The problem is deciding which to go to - there's so many. Many of them don't take place in a dusty desert (although Nowhere does) but you'll soon see that the other things which make the events so magic are all present and correct. Many people prefer the smaller burns. You can say "See you later!" and it actually happens!

There's a ton of good info here on eplaya and you can ask questions. For every person offering sarcasm there's many more who will offer you something a bit more helpful. Take an overall opinion though - I had many die-hards here tell me how it was going to be for my 1st burn, how my art project wouldn't stand up to the winds, and I had an awesome first burn and proved a lot of people wrong. You can't beat 1st hand experience!

Oh - and come to the Euroburner party which is usually about 7pm on Tuesday during the event. You'll meet a LOT of friendly folks from our continent there. It's often run by Quixote's but it'll be in the What Where When guide. If you see a man wearing a Cheese hat, that'll be me and I'll give you a welcome hug.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 am

Incidentally... Manudemey and his lovely (and talented) bride will be camping at a certain bicycle service. :D

berzins

Post by berzins » Thu May 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Great news !!!!

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 pm

:mrgreen:
Let me know what you really want… Dot
It's very hard to wait and it was almost as hard Has knowing what you really want so skip worrying and let you spread rumors!

Return to “Tickets Discussion”