Dumbfounded—

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
kaylabird87
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Hookers and Makers in Barbie Death Camp

Dumbfounded—

Post by kaylabird87 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Received the email today that I've been awarded a low-income ticket, and am absolutely shocked.

I've been quiet—life has thrown quite a curveball at me with an uprooting from my home (due to a 50% rent increase), and I held unto some small hope that I'd be rejected from the LITA pool, so that not going this year would be easier in light of the circumstances...but the message "Congratulations Burner!" splashed across my screen warmly.

This has been the first year ever that my health has been in a position to where I "could" go, and I felt in my heart prior to my little snowglobe being turned upside down three weeks ago that this —was— the year...needless to say, for some people absorbing an additional $400 in expenses isn't easy, and it should go without saying that as I applied for (and was approved!) for a LI ticket, I'm not exactly made in the shade. After sitting here and processing it for a few hours, I've decided that whatever higher power is in-charge/Universal energy is going on, I'm being pointed in the direction of BRC this year.

So, I'm going to tighten the belt (literally), cut back on meat/dairy products to save some money, and see if I can't sell several art pieces between now and then to find a means to make the ends meet.

Wish me luck!

-K
"Some (women) just want to watch the world burn."

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Dumbfounded—

Post by maladroit » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Congratulations! If you really really want to be there, you will make it. It's entirely possible to go there and be a contributing part of the experience without dropping stacks of cash. Despite all of the lights and sounds and unbelievable art, the things you remember from each burn are always about people.

A little bird told me that there is a fairly brisk trade on some crafty websites for things like securely-bedazzled goggles and such, for rather shocking prices. If you can sew at all, a basic big furry coat can cost $50 in materials and clear $500 in sales.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Congratulations ! You'll be fine. :D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks Maladroit—great idea...
I actually do craft/make (stress-crafting), and had been working on solidly built/well-made MOOP-proof Celestial themed items for gifting...perhaps I could sell a few of them to make it work out (picture attached of the first two gifting pieces).

There's still plenty of time to scrape coins together, if I'm dillegent and work hard. Just have to shift gears.
maladroit wrote:Congratulations! If you really really want to be there, you will make it. It's entirely possible to go there and be a contributing part of the experience without dropping stacks of cash. Despite all of the lights and sounds and unbelievable art, the things you remember from each burn are always about people.

A little bird told me that there is a fairly brisk trade on some crafty websites for things like securely-bedazzled goggles and such, for rather shocking prices. If you can sew at all, a basic big furry coat can cost $50 in materials and clear $500 in sales.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Nice story kaylabird. Hopefully by the end of summer when it's time to head to the desert, you will have adjusted to your new location, and that disruption will be a thing of the past. Personally I'm a bit on the fence regarding the LI program, mostly because of stories I see and hear about the system being taken advantage of, but I find examples like yours to be uplifting. I think if your health gives you a green light, then the time is right!

I didn't see your attachments, please try again. See ya in the dust!

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Absolutely can see where the LI program could be taken advantage of...in my own case when applying, I made specific notes and cross-references that should I not be a candidate for the program this year, than I would just save for another year and purchase at full rack-rate in 2018 (if able to secure a ticket then). I am very fortunate to have a full-time job here in Default, and am certain that many are far worse-off than me, but whoever is in the decision making crew for these tickets took a look at my words and determined I'd be a good fit. I'm thankful!

As part of my application, I also had an idea for a specific community/camp that I've not seen represented after being an outsider looking in during the last decade...I feel like the time is nigh to start the work in this regard for inclusivity. Have a feeling this is may what have pushed the odds in my favor, and now there is a duty to fulfill. :o

Hopefully the picture attaches now—two gifts finished in early March. I basically have a little box that I'm piling maker items into for now. (...)
and on a more practical note, bringing an extra 5-gallon container of water with a pump spout for each day to set up outside my little camp for thirsty-unprepared passerby.
burner von braun wrote:Nice story kaylabird. Hopefully by the end of summer when it's time to head to the desert, you will have adjusted to your new location, and that disruption will be a thing of the past. Personally I'm a bit on the fence regarding the LI program, mostly because of stories I see and hear about the system being taken advantage of, but I find examples like yours to be uplifting. I think if your health gives you a green light, then the time is right!

I didn't see your attachments, please try again. See ya in the dust!
Attachments
IMG_1568.JPG
Celestials Gift 1_2

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:37 pm

Wow. Those are beautiful
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:53 am

Congrats with the ticket
The art will indeed have value for some, hope you manage to survive until and manage to get to BRC.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Doktor_Catu
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Opulent Chill

Post by Doktor_Catu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:43 am

(...)
I've been quiet—life has thrown quite a curveball at me with an uprooting from my home (due to a 50% rent increase), and I held unto some small hope that I'd be rejected from the LITA pool, so that not going this year would be easier in light of the circumstances...but the message "Congratulations Burner!" splashed across my screen warmly.
Yep, heard this a lot from some friends residing in the same area. It is pretty similar (but far worse) to what happened on my city three years ago. You will manage it - and by the way, congratulations for the ticket! I am so happy for you! :D

(...)
Wish me luck!
Wish you all the luck in the world!!!!!!!!
“Be authentic to your dreams. Be authentic to your own idea about yourself. Grind away at your own minds and bodies until you become your own invention. Be Mad Scientists.”
― Warren Ellis, Doktor Sleepless,
-findme at berzins*at*gmail------

Doktor_Catu
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Opulent Chill

Post by Doktor_Catu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 am

By the way, the art is AWESOME!!!!!! I am pretty sure that it will be a success.

The design reminded me of a Herman Hesse quote that I love dearly:

“Natures of your kind, with strong, delicate senses, the soul-oriented, the dreamers, poets, lovers are always superior to us creatures of the mind. You take your being from your mothers. You live fully; you were endowed with the strength of love, the ability to feel. Whereas we creatures of reason, we don't live fully; we live in an arid land, even though we often seem to guide and rule you. Yours is the plentitude of life, the sap of the fruit, the garden of passion, the beautiful landscape of art. Your home is the earth; ours is the world of ideas. You are in danger of drowning in the world of the senses; ours is the danger of suffocating in an airless void. You are an artist; I am a thinker. You sleep at your mother's breast; I wake in the desert. For me the sun shines; for you the moon and the stars. ”

Best,
“Be authentic to your dreams. Be authentic to your own idea about yourself. Grind away at your own minds and bodies until you become your own invention. Be Mad Scientists.”
― Warren Ellis, Doktor Sleepless,
-findme at berzins*at*gmail------

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:25 am

Ratty wrote:Wow. Those are beautiful
Thanks Ratty. A piece has your name on it.

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:27 am

That Hesse quote is exceptionally beautiful. Thank you for sharing—I'm going to put it up where I can see it readily everyday.
berzins wrote:By the way, the art is AWESOME!!!!!! I am pretty sure that it will be a success.

The design reminded me of a Herman Hesse quote that I love dearly:

“Natures of your kind, with strong, delicate senses, the soul-oriented, the dreamers, poets, lovers are always superior to us creatures of the mind. You take your being from your mothers. You live fully; you were endowed with the strength of love, the ability to feel. Whereas we creatures of reason, we don't live fully; we live in an arid land, even though we often seem to guide and rule you. Yours is the plentitude of life, the sap of the fruit, the garden of passion, the beautiful landscape of art. Your home is the earth; ours is the world of ideas. You are in danger of drowning in the world of the senses; ours is the danger of suffocating in an airless void. You are an artist; I am a thinker. You sleep at your mother's breast; I wake in the desert. For me the sun shines; for you the moon and the stars. ”

Best,

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:17 am

Sent you a PM. So excited to see your enthusiasm and hope you'll at least try and stop by the Eplaya Meet & Greet.
Sic Semper Spectatores

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Responding now!
VultureChow wrote:Sent you a PM. So excited to see your enthusiasm and hope you'll at least try and stop by the Eplaya Meet & Greet.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:03 am

Congrats on the ticket! And your work is lovely.

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:20 am

Thank you!
AntiM wrote:Congrats on the ticket! And your work is lovely.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:21 am

Ha! I thought Dumbfounded was the name of a camp.

Kaylabird, congrats on snagging a ticket. Nice jewelry too. Sounds like you have had a pretty rough year so far so I am happy for you. If you get involved with a camp or get in contact with your regional reps you may be able to reduce some of your expenses by sharing resources with others.

Good luck!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

rustygrape
Burning Since: 2015

Post by rustygrape » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:59 am

Congrats!! And yeahhhh Universe! I feel the same way about obtaining the ticket...I have been fantasizing about the playa for the last few months...and I believe that is one of the ways you attract what you desire in this world. And the universe will take the quickest short-cut to deliver, or get you there :)

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks @RustyGrape...
Day by day, it's coming together...I'm just carefully working my towards it. One of my closest friends contacted me and asked what the ticket cost/etc., and when I told her about the LIT application approval, she sent me the entire cost of the ticket with a note that said, "You deserve this. It's our 30th birthdays this year, and its time to poor fuel on the fire of life. Have fun."
So the LTI was approved.
My ticket is paid for.
Now, I just need to get there properly outfitted. There is plenty of time. 8)
rustygrape wrote:Congrats!! And yeahhhh Universe! I feel the same way about obtaining the ticket...I have been fantasizing about the playa for the last few months...and I believe that is one of the ways you attract what you desire in this world. And the universe will take the quickest short-cut to deliver, or get you there :)

DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Congratulations. I'm a three time low income ticketer and was lucky to get it this year. Start reading everything you possibly can here on the bulletin boards and the survival guide for virgins..or whatever it's called and know no matter how prepared you are, accept that you when you get there, you're not. You'll have an amazing time.

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks DerbyDave...
I've been "adopted" by some peeps who have already proven themselves to be absolute gold (and am overwhelmed by their generosity and kindness)...so I lucked out. I'm in the test mode/brainstorming mode right now...I've a few projects to wrap up, and am trying to figure out how to convert my Yaris into a camper. Arriving early, and helping the crew to set up/settle in...
Not going to mince words—the preparation is a lot of fun.
DerbyDave 18 wrote:Congratulations. I'm a three time low income ticketer and was lucky to get it this year. Start reading everything you possibly can here on the bulletin boards and the survival guide for virgins..or whatever it's called and know no matter how prepared you are, accept that you when you get there, you're not. You'll have an amazing time.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Congratulations on your LIT!

Do it! Come out. San Diego's not so far at all. :)

Some money tips from a committed Thriftyperson:

* Save even more money than you'll think you'll need, just in case. Costs have this way of adding up . . .

* Ask your friends and family if they have unneeded camping equipment you can have, or buy for cheap. Borrowing is okay, but items do tend to get playafied/hard to clean.

* Don't spend too much on gifts, especially your first year. (Your work is gorgeous, as you know!) . . . Remember that your gift can be being pleasant and helpful, leaving no trace, and taking care of yourself. Or a gift can be a lip balm or a travel-sized powder, an invitation or some company, or some help setting up (although if your health is tricky, bringing someone a lemonade is better than, say, pounding their stakes and getting heat exhaustion).

* Amazon Basic batteries are cheap, and seem to work as well as any others I've tried.

* If you're trying to figure out what to spend a small costume budget on, a festive warm coat, some shemaghs or pashminas, and your goggles will get more mileage than anything else.

* Dehydrated camping foods aren't cost-effective or even a must; canned or vaccuum-sealed ordinary food is great. I never cook or wash dishes out there. This is my favorite thread about easy food (although if you like to be a hardcore playa chef, don't let me stop you)!

viewtopic.php?t=35430
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks for being rad as usual, Savannah. I'm starting to feel much more confident about the excursion.
I've been adopted into Hookers&Makers/BDC, and they have an incredible warmth/helpfulness to them; exceptional wealth of information.

Fiscally, I've managed to weasel all the big items out of the way for not much at all--by buying used, or waiting in the wings to pounce on bargains. I've not wanted to borrow much because of Playafication in a huge way. So far, I've been able to score the below for about $110.00, and I'll be able to supplement in the other things. I'm also taking my POS tiny car (it runs very well, just is banged up--I don't have to worry about the Playa eating it) so that I'm not spending hundreds on a rental.
  • Tent: $62 used, Amazon Warehouse Deals (vs. $150+ new)
    Sleeping bag: $11.00 (vs. $70.00, no kidding) -- used some standing Kohl's cash from...
    5-day super cooler+oversized sleeping cot/mattress: $35.00 (vs. ~$200.00. They were on sale, and fam gave me a "housewarming" gift card to use I had stashed, so both only came to $35.00, and earned the total Kohl's cash that I used on the sleeping bag)
    Goggles/hairwraps/dust masks/hijab, all from prior travels to the Near/Middle East.
    Etc.
The little thangs are going to add up, but I should be a-okay now that I've carefully curated the usually-expensive items. If I paid MSRP for the above, I'd already be out $500, and that ain't how I roll.

Now to just beg/steal the rest (kidding/kidding).
Savannah wrote:Congratulations on your LIT!

Do it! Come out. San Diego's not so far at all. :)

Some money tips from a committed Thriftyperson:
(...)
viewtopic.php?t=35430

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed May 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: small car tetris packing. I used to remove my front passenger seat,(ford focus) just needed to find the right large size torx bit for a socket handle. This allowed a lot more storage. I also had a nice carpeted platform that fit well to sleep on with the back seats folded flat and front seat either gone, or folded all the way forward.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

kaylabird87

Post by kaylabird87 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 pm

We speak the same language.
I did a test run by taking the backseat out of my Yaris, and converting it into a camper--but am bringing the Cot/Tent along just in case I need a way to switch (i.e. stuff in tent via storage pins/ziplocks; Kayla in car, or vice-versa) The cot also folds down flat to accommodate usage in the car as well as the tent.

Tetris is a good way to visualize it.
I've been using Jenga.

... camping supplies inception. Russian nesting doll theorem. :)
Elorrum wrote:Re: small car tetris packing. I used to remove my front passenger seat,(ford focus) just needed to find the right large size torx bit for a socket handle. This allowed a lot more storage. I also had a nice carpeted platform that fit well to sleep on with the back seats folded flat and front seat either gone, or folded all the way forward.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed May 03, 2017 1:04 pm

I never slept in the car at the burn, except for the first nights when I'd roll in very late. It was my jumble secure storage, and the less time those car doors are open to the dust....well, it helps a little.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Return to “Tickets Discussion”