Don't stress about getting a ticket!

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
DeanisGatsby
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Fuego's No Mercy Karaoke Bar

Don't stress about getting a ticket!

Post by DeanisGatsby » Sun May 07, 2017 12:55 am

Understandably, everyone is always anxious to get their tickets so they can know for sure they'll be able to go and get serious about their plans. But know that it will be very difficult and usually impossible to land a ticket before the 11th hour. Craigslist is largely nothing but scammers and only maybe will you be lucky through Eplaya or STEP (but STEP is great; sign up!). But have no fear because tickets ALWAYS become readily available about 3 weeks before the burn. Suddenly a flood of tickets will become available from people who decide they can't go after all, they will be real and they will be for face value. Three weeks before the burn and then Craigslist will delver you all the tickets you want. This will be my 10th burn and every year the same thing happens: months of scams, scalping and begging. Then a few weeks before, the rubber is ready to hit the road and tickets are suddenly available everywhere. So relax, don't get scammed and make your plans! I promise you will have no problem getting a ticket, but you'll likely need to be patient. I hope others will comment to concur with this advice and help put people's minds at ease so they can use that energy to prepare for the greatest week of the year.
IMG_1568_copy.jpg
Burning Man is my favorite week of the year!

Jackass

Re: Don't stress about getting a ticket!

Post by Jackass » Sun May 07, 2017 1:57 am

Burning Man sucks, it's sold out, don't go! It's hard, and you can't just walk up to the food court and buy some pizza when you're starving... The Summer music festie scene is definitely the way to go, and much easier too!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 07, 2017 9:31 am

All that USED to be true.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

cranberries
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Post by cranberries » Sun May 07, 2017 11:27 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:All that USED to be true.
I don't know if it was ever true outside of California/Reno areas - I don't recall ever seeing a "flood" of last minute tickets here in Calgary. A handful do become available, but fewer than the number of people who want to go, and plenty of people (who are well connected in the community and follow all of the "oh, just work within your regional network!!" advice) don't actually find a ticket.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun May 07, 2017 3:26 pm

It's still true to an extent here in the Bay Area. But, even in northern California you can't expect to find one of those last minute tickets. I beg and scramble every year. If you aren't in a camp, group, or active in the burner community don't count on it. My campmate is in the boonies of Canada. She would have to trust a stranger on the internet? Sure. Lots of tickets shake loose towards the end but that's also when the scammers rear their ugly heads. If you decide to buy online read the warnings and take precautions. (It's kinda like unprotected sex. You really want it and just hope it'll be ok.)
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

cranberries
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Post by cranberries » Sun May 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Ratty wrote: My campmate is in the boonies of Canada.
With a handful of exceptions (6 large cities that most people can probably name) Canada is nothing BUT boonies :lol:

DeanisGatsby

Post by DeanisGatsby » Sun May 07, 2017 7:16 pm

I've personally found it true in NYC and the Bay Area, and seen friends have the same experience abroad.

kiss-o-matic
Burning Since: 2012

Post by kiss-o-matic » Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am

DeanisGatsby wrote:I've personally found it true in NYC and the Bay Area, and seen friends have the same experience abroad.
Tricky for the people abroad. I'm on the lookout for some friends in Asia, as they've got no hope of finding anything locally.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat May 20, 2017 1:12 am

DeanisGatsby wrote:But have no fear because tickets ALWAYS become readily available about 3 weeks before the burn.
No, they don't. You might want to make people feel good, but since about 2013 if you want a ticket & don't have the luck to get it in one of the sales, you have to work for it. Join Burner groups, grow your network, look at tickets for sale - and if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Reality is harsh, but there's no wishing it away.
Three weeks before the burn and then Craigslist will delver you all the tickets you want.
Craigslist will deliver you all the tickets you want right now. They're just all scams. They'll be 95% scams three weeks before the burn as well (just like all those 3rd party ticket sites. They don't have them, they're just trying to get suckers to pay a fortune & then they'll go hunt for one with a sob story)
So relax, don't get scammed and make your plans! I promise you will have no problem getting a ticket
You might want to be careful about what you promise. I can guarantee that everyone looking will not get a ticket. A good chunk will, but far from everyone.
I hope others will comment to concur with this advice and help put people's minds at ease so they can use that energy to prepare for the greatest week of the year
I won't concur with incorrect information, no matter how well meaning it is. It would be lovely (in most cases) if everyone who wanted a ticket got one, but that is not the reality anymore. We've had way more people wanting tickets than the BLM will let us sell for years now. To think otherwise is just to bury your head in the sand. There will be people who lose out if they don't put in the work to find tickets - put in the leg work, grow a network, do not sit on your ass expecting Miracle Tickets. That's reality.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat May 20, 2017 12:20 pm

There is NO guarantee that you will get a ticket. Once the demand for tickets was greater than the number of tickets available - the game changed.

Don't show up at the gate, expecting that "The Playa will Provide" - occasionally, that is true -but mostly, you end up pissing off the gate staff and end up dealing with BLM rangers - which never ends well...

That ticket you found online - is it real? Has it been cancelled? The gate staff turn people away for fake and cancelled tickets all the time.

Yes, it sucks. No, I have no idea how to make it so that everyone who wants tickets gets them. Nor do I know who "deserves" to attend.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

DeanisGatsby

Post by DeanisGatsby » Sun May 21, 2017 2:13 am

I'll strongly disagree with the nay sayers. My statements are based on my own personal experience year to year since tickets began selling out about 8 years ago. And it's based on the experience of others I've seen. I know of no evidence that tickets are impossible to get in the weeks before the burn and no one cites any particular experiences or evidence to the contrary. I've known friends to wait until they can get tickets well below face value, like Tuesday of burn week. It's clear there are a lot of folks wedded to the idea that sold out means you can't go, but I personally believe that to be a myth unsupported by evidence. I just think people ought to know that they can go if they want. It is true that my knowledge is limited to the US and Australia, and without a critical burner mass in one's own geographical area, the same doesn't necessarily apply.
And I'll add this foundation to my opinion. As a theme camp leader, I'm not just talking about me landing a single ticket. I've landed as many tickets as I could possibly need, over and over again, for no more than face value plus tax/fees. If I needed a dozen tickets, I have no doubt I could get them based on having done it repeatedly. However, I wouldn't even bother to start looking until 4 weeks before burn week since in the months before that, they are virtually all scammers.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 21, 2017 7:05 am

So, a ticketless person is supposed to happily go about their business, putting their energy toward preparing for an event they have no ticket for and not worrying about finding one, AND they are suppose to make it their life's mission to work hard joining every Burner group they can, networking, etc to find one.

Now, back on Earth, the truth is you've been LUCKY, then once you got YOUR ticket you didn't pay much attention to the ticket market and are blissfully unaware of how many people weren't able to obtain one.
I know plenty who couldn't get tickets, and a few who got scammed which is even worse.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun May 21, 2017 8:00 am

I love Crypto's quote in Eric's signature: It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world.

Why choose stress?

The Census shows about 20-25% of tickets are exchanged by individuals outside the BM sale (that's why all tickets tied to ID will likely never happen):
Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 7.50.18 AM.png
It helps if you are in or know someone in a burner city or have a close online relationship with someone exchanging a ticket:
Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 7.51.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 7.52.21 AM.png
The event is challenging, preparation is challenging. So if you can't overcome the ticket challenge, maybe ThisIsNotTheFestivalForYou (rights released under Creative Commons non-commercial use.) Some people have the philosophy "I'll just ask the Internet to give me" because the cost to do so is zero, especially anonymously. Burning Man is a fierce undertaking. Would you ask give me a ticket to Everest? Post don't stress about getting a ticket to Everest? Would an experienced burner sell a ticket to someone unprepared?

The full census is
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun May 21, 2017 5:41 pm

DeanisGatsby wrote:My statements are based on my own personal experience year to year since tickets began selling out about 8 years ago. And it's based on the experience of others I've seen. I know of no evidence that tickets are impossible to get in the weeks before the burn and no one cites any particular experiences or evidence to the contrary. I've known friends to wait until they can get tickets well below face value, like Tuesday of burn week.
1) Your very first sentence shows you're not paying attention - tickets first sold out in 2011, not "8 years ago". 2012 was a mess, and lots of last minute tickets did become available, even though it sold out. It's only been since 2013 that they've been hard as hell to get. Evidence: I've been an eplaya mod since 2011 and I help deal with the ticket boards - I've seen the desperation, and we constantly have to pull posts with people offering everything up to and including their first born for a ticket. The rule is "face value (or less) or fuck off" for a reason.

2) Your second sentence also shows you're not paying attention: the tickets that were being sold at the end were full price, because the sellers knew they could get that (the exception was pre-sale tickets, but even those were still asking $500). They were selling at full price after the gates opened, because they still knew they could get it. And there were still more people looking than tickets. All you need to do is look at the 2016 ticket forums. The information you are peddling is out-of-date false hopes, and those could hinder someone actually getting a ticket by hustling for it because they think they'll just find one easy-peasy near the event. It happens, but it is far the norm.

3) Personal experience is not evidence. That's like someone bringing a snowball into Congress to deny climate change. There are larger patterns working, anybody who's been a regular on this board can refute what you're saying, because we've all seen the level of pleading for tickets the last few years.

I hate to come off as harsh, but I'm a realist, and part of my job here is to peddle reality. I don't give false hopes, ever. There are tickets available, and someone will get them, but they're only going to get them if they're working for it.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

DeanisGatsby

Post by DeanisGatsby » Sun May 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Minus the "not paying attention" snipes, I appreciate your impressions. I don't think we are at cross purposes.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon May 22, 2017 8:15 am

Well ok sorry to be snipey but it is truly amazing that anyone doesn't know about people not being able to find tickets. Lots of people. I have to agree with Eric (that never happens!) that you're instilling a false sense of hope and perhaps making people less inclined to work as hard at finding a ticket if they wanna go. There really are not enough to go around. That's a fact.

DeanisGatsby

Post by DeanisGatsby » Mon May 22, 2017 7:30 pm

When I come to a year where my friends and I don't have as many tickets available to us as we need for however many people want them, I'll agree. Meanwhile I'll expect the same thing this year that I've experienced the last 9 years: no tickets available until 4-5 weeks before the event when they do become available. Maybe how available has fluctuated as you suggest; I don't pretend to know. I don't recommend sitting on your hands if you need a ticket or taking anything for granted. I do discourage failing to make plans as if you'll actually go until you get a ticket because 4-5 weeks before the event is late to finally start making serious arrangements. I have camp members who booked their RV 8 months in advance (!) to have on RV and they don't all have tickets. The tickets will hardly be a problem. An RV you can drive into the event (if that's your thing), now THAT'S hard to get. Peace.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon May 22, 2017 11:41 pm

I wish I had your confidence.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:10 pm

Deanisgatasby it's possible to get a face value $1000-1200 ticket. Even after the gates are open tickets for $425-500 are very hard to come by. Also most people don't buy, plan and pack the day before. Why don't you share your sources for tickets. Just citing Craigslist of vaugeries is meaningless. It's simple math, demand exceeds supply.
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:50 pm

Gotta love the sowing false hopes with anecdotes.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

DeanisGatsby

Post by DeanisGatsby » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:54 pm

OK, well here we are, in the last days and weeks before the burn and sure enough, there are plenty of face value tickets and vehicle passes available on Craigslist here in the Bay Area (yeah I know the majority of them are scalpers and scammers). More than we need to find for our camp of 74 people, plenty of legit folks and tickets, tickets I've vetted and have available and I don't need. Doubtful this is the case everywhere, but it's a luxury we have here in CA.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:51 pm

If you want to take a really nice and inexpensive vacation...tickets to Bangkok are $420 round trip from California. There is a risk. That's why they're cheap. My point is this. Are many of the foreign travelers bowing out because we may be under attack? I would have second thoughts about traveling to a foreign country where the leader is taunting another nuclear armed country into a volatile pissing match. Hell, who hasn't had a conversation about what we will do at the burn if the shit hits the fan? It will come out in this year's Census report. Foreign travel down or not??

Arthur Schopenhauer

DeanisGatsby

Post by DeanisGatsby » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Same experience again this year. Bought 12 tickets from folks on CL in a week's time and left town with 3 more on the table. All for face plus fees, $500/ticket. It's not like that every week leading up to the gates opening, but people are bailing on going at all phases of the prep. A lot of people don't want to agree, but you should not stress about getting a ticket. Although I will agree that the scalpers are the biggest problem. That stuff is uncool. You'd think people could let it go for one event in the world.
Gatsby

ljwittmann
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Post by ljwittmann » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:30 pm

I hate to admit it, but I am stressing!! LOL. I've just returned home from deployment (early...but not early enough!) Keeping fingers crossed, though!

nedwardsburning18
Burning Since: 2018

Post by nedwardsburning18 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:22 pm

Im still in need of two more tickets...if anyone has any please let me know! I can pick them up in person. 💕

Return to “Tickets Discussion”