Designated Group Sale: How does a virgin group access DGS?

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
Paintking
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Grotto Quattuor Elementa

Designated Group Sale: How does a virgin group access DGS?

Postby Paintking » Fri May 12, 2017 8:01 am

Can someone please demystify the Designated Group Sale (DGS)?

I'm a virgin, with an art project, have submitted my camp placement form, requested early entry (same form), and have no tickets. Reading through threads and such, it would seem that the DGS might apply to me. Unfortunately I missed the early DGS, didn't have my plans together at that point, but the BM ticket page says there will be another DGS sale later this summer.

How do I apply for DGS? Does my Camp Placement form somehow qualify me for DGS? Does it put me on somebodie's radar? I've read the DSG sale announcement will show up on my profile page, but assume that DSG tickets will go quickly. I'd like to be prepared.

Is there someone in the BM hierachy that I should be contacting?

Dazed and confused.

Paintking

Paintking

Re: Designated Group Sale: How does a virgin group access DGS?

Postby Paintking » Fri May 12, 2017 8:04 am

Ah, now I see Trilobyte's post from last year, viewtopic.php?f=464&t=76813

The haze is clearing. I think I'm catching on.

Paintking

Paintking

Postby Paintking » Fri May 12, 2017 8:11 am

Still dazed and confused after all.

Same question: I missed the early round, so how do apply for the later round?

Paintking

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Fri May 12, 2017 8:50 am

Read the first sentence of that thread you posted. "By invitation" means don't call us, we'll call you. Sad but true. Right now you need to scramble for tickets some other way. Weather you get placed or not, go ahead with your art. That's what it's all about. Take lots of pictures and reapply next year with a bigger and better piece. Don't count on getting placed or getting tickets offered.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri May 12, 2017 8:53 am

There is no second DGS, I am not sure exactly where you are seeing that. There was a deadline for application, and a deadline for submitting names. In August, there is the OMG sale, which is open to the general public. Perhaps you have confused the two sales?

Usually first time theme camps are not given access to the DGS. You need a proven track record of delivering your camp/art on the playa in order to qualify for DGS. Do everything you can to get your tickets, and make your art!
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Fri May 12, 2017 9:04 am

AntiM I read that same thing somewhere also. I'm too lazy right this second to go finding it.

Paintking

Postby Paintking » Fri May 12, 2017 11:27 am

Ratty and AntiM:

Thanks for the clarification. So I'll let my DGS hope die a mournful death. But I'll keep working towards making the project a reality and hope the BM gods will smile on me with tickets. My co-virgin buddy is in the Bay area and I hear that's where most of the stray tickets are to be found.

Fyi, here's the quote about a second DGS, from the BM website page concerning tickets, http://tickets.burningman.org/, in the drop down window for Directed Group Sale:
"Another round of directed sales will happen later in the summer with approximately 2,500 additional $425s for artists, groups, staff and volunteers."

Paintking

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Fri May 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Yup. Thats what i saw. Thats when 'other than camps', get their just rewards.

carefactornil
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Cheese Camp

Postby carefactornil » Thu May 18, 2017 8:55 am

Hiya.

I'm a London-based burner. This will be my 7th Nevada burn this year. 1st year I brought a large art project (mad, I know, especially coming from overseas). I've brought large art for 6 out of 7 of them.

In 2012 (where it all went a bit tricky with tickets for the 1st time, lottery, etc), I got contacted by the wonderful Artery folks as part of the normal process of discussing our art project. I hope they won't mind me being transparent about things here. They knew I was trying to put together a large build team (nearly 50, many didn't have tickets at that point) and asked if we would like access to some BM tickets. They'd already long sold out so BOY were we happy about that.

In 2014 we had a smaller project (still nearly 25) and a similar situation arose - they offered us a few tickets.
Same in 2016 & this year.

As artists we don't get access to the DGS unfortunately- it's more for theme camps & villages and other core things. The exception to this is art which is honorarium, I believe, although I've never been that. But the tickets that the Artery generously give us (and presumably we're not the only ones) we actually buy through special links emailed to us later on in July. If you like, these are "Directed" sales to a Group (of sorts) so I guess this might qualify as the mysterious 2nd DGS sale as it's definitely not the OMG or anything else. Early arrival passes (now WAPs) go through in a similar way. I've never done the DGS but I imagine the system is similar. I'm the lead and I enter everyone's name into a system who is getting tickets/WAPs. Those people then get emailed their own link to buy.

As others have said though, there's no guarantees here. I'm always extremely grateful to the Artery for anything they give us and never assume it will happen. Naturally, having done multiple projects of scale now helps - they know who I am and that I can (generally!) be trusted.

What I think is the procedure is, is that you put your art grant application in. At some point the Artery will contact you to discuss it. One of the things they will ask is if you have the tickets you need. If you don't they *may* be able to help with that situation in the way they've helped me. I don't know how much science there is behind it - I would guess it's about if you're known to them, how awesome your project is, and quite possibly if you're coming from far away like us - I know they're incredibly supportive (and trying to be more so) of international artists. So naturally the earlier you put your art application in in the yearly cycle, the better. I was ready on opening day this year. If you have already put your application in and were really getting to a crunch point in your project where you needed to start it or buy flights or whatever, I don't think the Artery would mind if you sent a polite email pointing out the situation you're in and asking when you might get to discuss it.

But having lots of friends in the various BM communities is still one of the best ways of getting a ticket if you don't get one in the main sale.

FYI, I also run a theme camp but it's specifically an Art Support theme camp (i.e. we're just there to support the project I'm doing that year). So we get placement relatively near the art project location. Which again is awesome and I don't take that for granted either.

Hope that offers some insight - I don't think I've ever seen what I've posted above about how it's worked for me posted anywhere and if there's a reason to delete/remove any of it then I'm sure one of the mods will let me know why.

Good luck & don't give up hope when it comes to tickets. I've yet to hear of someone who REALLY wanted to be at BM not finding tickets eventually.

Building art out there and managing to actually pull it off and watch people enjoy it is one of the best feelings ever!

Return to “Tickets Discussion”