Cheap bastards

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
FlyingMonkey

Cheap bastards

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 am

Ok, let me start by stating that I am extremely grateful for being able to snag a couple of tickets & a VP this & every year. But really? I dropped over $1K on 2 tickets & a VP after the fees/sales tax & when all is said & done I only get 1 Atomic Fireball. Sorry, but how the hell do you share that between 2 people that really aren't close enough to swap spit? I like my Burner Buddy & all but it aint going to happen.

I think The Org could pony up & have the number of Atomic Fireballs match the quantity of tickets.

-Just say'n.

On a side note: I was going through my "food" bin from 2015 & found an unopened bottle of tequila. Line up the shots at the M&G (WooHoo!).

Now get back to your feverish last minute Builds & panic attacks. The Man burns in 39 Days.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Cheap bastards

Post by spacetime » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:11 pm

I noticed this too. Only one fireball this year for two tickets. Fwiw, my partner wouldn't eat one anyway, but I believe this is called a benefit "takeaway."

I would not be surprised if this is the last year fireballs go out.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:16 pm

I believe they are in there to make the envelope qualify for a certain postage option.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:38 pm

Ratty wrote:I believe they are in there to make the envelope qualify for a certain postage option.
Yep - having the fireball in there means they need to get hand-sorted, since the machines can only do flat things. The fact that we all latched onto them as a cultural signifier is just a side-note.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Eric wrote:
Ratty wrote:I believe they are in there to make the envelope qualify for a certain postage option.
Yep - having the fireball in there means they need to get hand-sorted, since the machines can only do flat things. The fact that we all latched onto them as a cultural signifier is just a side-note.
Isn't hand-sorting less ideal from a cost perspective? Why is this desirable for the org?

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:29 pm

My understanding of the need for a fireball is very close.
A flat envelope sent with a signature required is MORE money to send than a package with a fireball in it. It's weird quirk in pricing from the post office, but it's truly a money saving thing. I'll bet that adding a second fireball would increase postage. :roll:

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:26 pm

What a strange bit of Burning Man trivia. If I'm ever on Wheel of Fortune & the topic is Burning Man I have it made.

I still want 2 AFBs.

Maybe I can take this & run with it & gift Atomic Fireballs to everyone who didn't get theirs.

Hmmmmm.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:13 pm

This explains a lot. Okay. Well, this triggers a rant from me about USPS and how they knowingly ship junk mail to stay in business which I'm going to avoid.

But yes, for the record, org. We noticed!

cranberries
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Post by cranberries » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:50 pm

I live in Canada and my tickets come via UPS. This is my third year, in 2015 I bought one ticket - got one fireball. 2016 - two tickets, one fireball. This year - two tickets, ZERO FIREBALLS.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:16 am

Next time I'm going to just have two orders of one ticket each so that we each receive a separate fireball. Fuck those transaction fees, I want my candy!

One time I received a Lemon Head. It was insulting.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:22 am

BBadger wrote:Next time I'm going to just have two orders of one ticket each so that we each receive a separate fireball. Fuck those transaction fees, I want my candy!

One time I received a Lemon Head. It was insulting.
This will show them! A Lemon Head!? Sounds like repeal and replace with a watered down plan.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”