Burner Express question - Changing travel plans

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
VicW

Burner Express question - Changing travel plans

Post by VicW » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:44 pm

I understand the Burner Express ticket is non-refundable, not changeable, etc, but is the actual ticket still available at Will Call if the person decides to come in via a different method?

I have a friend who recently got approved for WAP (EA) and I can get her to the playa box office no problem. Any chance she can simply get her ticket there instead of at the point of embarkation? Her ticket is paid for and all that stuff, just need to know if she can skip the bus and still get in. Any pros know the answer?

Thanks in advance!

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Re: Burner Express question - Changing travel plans

Post by Papa Bear » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 pm

You're speaking of the Burner Express Plus package, that give the bus rider the option to purchase an event ticket? The language on those is very clear that you *have* to ride the bus to get the option to purchase the ticket.

The point of the program is to provide additional incentive to ride the bus. I'm pretty sure they don't want it to degenerate into a slightly-pricier additional sale that allows people to come in via other means, which is exactly what would happen if they allowed that kind of exception.

VicW

Post by VicW » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:18 pm

[quote="Papa Bear"]You're speaking of the Burner Express Plus package, that give the bus rider the option to purchase an event ticket? The language on those is very clear that you *have* to ride the bus to get the option to purchase the ticket.

The point of the program is to provide additional incentive to ride the bus. I'm pretty sure they don't want it to degenerate into a slightly-pricier additional sale that allows people to come in via other means, which is exactly what would happen if they allowed that kind of exception.[/quote]

She's already paid for the ticket. Looks like any other receipt, except that it says BXB on it. This is why I'm asking. I don't see how an empty seat on the bus would hurt anything, and peoples' plans change last second all the time for the burn. Sounds like there's simply a satellite box office at the bus departure point, so what difference would it make? Since she'd be riding with someone, she wouldn't need a vehicle pass and there'd be no impact to the event.

The receipt shows, in a blue box in the middle: "Your order will be held for Will Call pickup at the Box Office located in Black Rock City". It then goes into specifics about the new taxes or whatever.

I'm not trying to argue, just looking for a concrete answer...

Nelo
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nelo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:16 pm

I got a BXB+ ticket as well, just to secure a ticket as they have been hard to come by. The people I'm going with are getting to BRC on the 27th but the bus I'm on isn't going to the 28th. It would be awesome to be able to have that extra night on the playa and go with them, but the condition of the ticket is unequivocally that if you're not on the bus, you forfeit your ticket.

There's no way to transfer to someone else either. It's a minor inconvenience for me and your mate, but it'll be worth it in the end

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:00 pm

VicW wrote:I understand the Burner Express ticket is non-refundable, not changeable, etc, but is the actual ticket still available at Will Call if the person decides to come in via a different method?

I have a friend who recently got approved for WAP (EA) and I can get her to the playa box office no problem. Any chance she can simply get her ticket there instead of at the point of embarkation? Her ticket is paid for and all that stuff, just need to know if she can skip the bus and still get in. Any pros know the answer?

Thanks in advance!
You should ask ticketing instead of us fools with zero authority on the message board.

Our stinking opinion, generally worth dick, is that your "friend" is SOL on the early entry.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:11 pm

As I do not ever get tickets through Will Call, I do not know whether that receipt for the BxB is the same as a Will Call proof-of-purchase. I suspect it is not. The BxB receipt + ID probably just gets you on a bus, and then by virtue of you being on that bus you can obtain an event ticket.

Why don't you email ticketsupport@burningman.com or the BxB people and get an official answer?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Burner Express Ticket question - Changing travel plans

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm giving this a nudge to tickets discussion board, since this is really more of a question about Burner Express Bus Tickets.

No, the ticket may not be used to travel into the event by car (or other means), and no the tickets are not transferable. Yes, this information was posted in the FAQ on the ticket support site well in advance of the sale.

It sounds like your campmate should never have even been attempting to get a Work Access Pass, and it was a mistake for your camp or project leader to issue one to them. Burner Express bus tickets are expressly for BxB passengers, and were not intended as an additional avenue to get tickets that would be used outside the program.

The good news, though, is that the campmate can email their work access pass PDF file back to the camp or project leader, and your group leader can give it to someone else on the team who is able to make it in early.

This question has been answered definitively, I'm locking up the thread.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”