!!READ ME!! Trilo's Unofficial Last Minute Ticket Advice

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

!!READ ME!! Trilo's Unofficial Last Minute Ticket Advice

Postby trilobyte » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:25 am

We are getting to the final crunch! As I am currently scrambling to get my art and my camp and my own burn prep finished, my time on the site is limited. The other moderators on the team (Eric, Savannah, Sham, AntiM, Elderberry and mdmf007) are here but also getting their own stuff ready.

That means that the ticket boards are going to get a bit more 'wild west' - BUYERS AND SELLERS BEWARE! I would like to share with you my personal, unofficial last minute tips.

SELLERS
  • Do not post multiple threads to sell the same set of tickets. At best it's spammy and unfair to others listing tickets, at worst it could be construed as ticket speculation or wire fraud. If you've got a change, post it as a reply to your original thread. Moderators are doing their best to watch the boards and make edits to the subject line of the thread to update quantities and price when they change. Multiple ticket listing threads may be yanked without notice, and repeat offenders may be temporarily suspended.
  • Get those tickets out ASAP! You may not be in a rush, but the people who just sent you money for the tickets you're unable to use are probably in a panic to get those in hand. Sellers - don't wait til the end of the day, send them out at lunchtime and email the tracking info as soon as you get it. Your awesomeness will be greatly appreciated by those who are buying your tickets.
  • Even if you're meeting in person to hand over tickets, you really should only accept payment electronically, and only use a method that provides the buyer some form of protection.
  • Will call ticket orders can be split up! You can log into your Ticketfly account and transfer tickets into a ticket buyer's name IMMEDIATELY. More info on that can be found here.
BUYERS
  • Before committing to buy tickets, click on the user's name and then click the Search User's Posts link. If that seller has multiple threads offering tickets for sale, I highly recommend not doing business with that individual. At best, they're the kind of jerks who are willing to spam the boards and step on the backs of other burners to get their listing seen by as many people as possible, and technically posting multiple advertisements for the same set of tickets could be construed as either ticket speculation or wire fraud (when scammers and scalpers post multiple listings hoping to get a bite). There are better people to be doing business with all over these boards.
  • Do not send anyone money through any means that does not afford buyer protection! Pure and simple. Paypal, Amazon Payments, and other similar services have it, take the time to read up on it before you send a stranger on the internet hundreds of dollars. If *I* was buying a ticket from someone I didn't know, I would only buy using an electronic payment method that had buyer protection - even if I was meeting the person face to face. Offer to pay the fees if you have to.
  • Make sure that the tickets will be shipped to you via some means that provides tracking, and that the seller will send you that tracking info asap. With the event this close, I would recommend insist on overnight shipping (even if that means it costs you a few more bucks).
  • Will call ticket orders can be split up! Sellers/ticket holders can log into their Ticketfly account and transfer tickets into your name IMMEDIATELY. More info on that can be found here. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is mistaken or should be considered suspicious.
  • Beware of scammers!
  • Beware of scammers!
  • Beware of scammers!
You'll notice those last three bullets are the same. No, it's not a typo. It's that important. Tickets are extremely hard to come by this year (as you well know), and scammers know that. Desperate people with money are their favorite targets. They're banking on you being so desperate that you'll send a wire transfer or bitcoins or some other kind of payment that makes it easier for them to get away with your money.

If you do get scammed, PLEASE FILE A POLICE REPORT! Even if your bank or money transfer service is going to cover the loss, file a report asap! Once you've done that, send an email to fraud@burningman.org with the case # and details. Not filing a police report is basically saying that you're okay with it, and only encourages scammers to take other people for a ride.

And of course, read the post about scammers & scalpers!
And don't forget about the ticketing FAQ!
Will call order changes - follow these instructions!
ePlaya ticket posting guidelines can be found here (they're on the top of each of the ticket boards)
And remember, do not post your personal information publicly!

Return to “Tickets Discussion”