2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by burner von braun » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Thanks Motsky!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:58 am

And it forces people to click through an "all of the above"-is-obviously-the-answer fluff quiz to see the info.

Funny the breakdown of the ticket sale:
  • 5,000 for the presale tickets ($990 and $1,200)
  • 30,000 + 2,500 for the directed sale tickets ($425 ea)
  • 26,000 main sale tickets ($425 ea)
  • Some unknown number for people willing to pony up $1,200
  • 2,000 OMG tickets ($425)
So we've finally hit that tipping point where the event now emphasizes legacy burners and camps, with presale/boutique-priced tickets to round out the coffers, at the expense of the proletariat participating in the regular main sale. So continues Burning Man's cultural decline.

I assume that, like previous years, the hat presale tickets are still being sticker-priced at what the original buyer paid, despite the fact that the presale access is useless after the presale itself.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:05 am

And so it begins.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:44 am

BBadger wrote:
So we've finally hit that tipping point where the event now emphasizes legacy burners and camps, with presale/boutique-priced tickets to round out the coffers, at the expense of the proletariat participating in the regular main sale. So continues Burning Man's cultural decline.
So now you are hot and bothered by meritocracy from some misguided flair for the peasantry ???

Shit, I’m thinking 50K should be tickets that go to folks that do, make, build.

Fuck the proletariat! They had their chance and blew it.

I’d be all in on merit based ticketing as the backbone and a symbolic “virgin” ticket lottery.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:39 pm

I think the fluff quiz is a good idea, it's at least a start to requiring some indoctrination in the culture.

There are also (from 2017) 4000 LIT, so that leaves about 500 of the $1200.00 tickets. Not sure where they are accounting for the Burner Bus + tickets.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:24 pm

We have a growing problem with clueless spectators, who are the worst threat to the Burning Man ethos, so I am with Token and Popeye on this.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public area, please.

In the 3:00 G Plaza this year

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:30 am

Elliot wrote:We have a growing problem with clueless spectators, who are the worst threat to the Burning Man ethos, so I am with Token and Popeye on this.
Agreed. But I have a few questions that hopefully someone can chime in on...

- How does the number of DGS tickets compare to previous years?

- Will this affect the PNPs that always seem to be able to get the tickets they need for their (dare I say) business ventures?
-- Will PNPs, which seem to be very established camps, get DGS tickets???

- Do any of the DGS tickets go towards Artists/volunteers or is that a different pot?
-- Do artists & volunteers get recognized at all? Whats the criteria?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Raoul
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Honest MiSteak

Post by Raoul » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:58 am

FlyingMonkey wrote: - Do any of the DGS tickets go towards Artists/volunteers or is that a different pot?
It is my understanding (based on nothing official) that the artists and the crews that support officially placed installations can qualify for DGS tickets in the same way that placed camps in good standing may qualify for them. As for volunteers, certain ones get a free ticket. Two examples are the official Regional Contacts and those who volunteer for a minimum number of shifts (6, I think) with various Org departments such as Gate or Rangers.
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Honest MiSteak: 2018
Hookah Lounge\Black Rock Power Co-op: 2014 - 2017

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Raoul wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote: - Do any of the DGS tickets go towards Artists/volunteers or is that a different pot?
It is my understanding (based on nothing official) that the artists and the crews that support officially placed installations can qualify for DGS tickets in the same way that placed camps in good standing may qualify for them. As for volunteers, certain ones get a free ticket. Two examples are the official Regional Contacts and those who volunteer for a minimum number of shifts (6, I think) with various Org departments such as Gate or Rangers.
The Rangers in our camp have to do a certain number of hours to get a gift ticket the next year, and can get a reduced price ticket if they do not meet the full number, and there is a minimum for that too. Man Burn is practically mandatory as I understand it. One campmate did Box Office, I think she will have access to a reduced price ticket this year. Not 100% on that.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:59 am

AntiM wrote:
Raoul wrote:
The Rangers in our camp have to do a certain number of hours to get a gift ticket the next year, and can get a reduced price ticket if they do not meet the full number, and there is a minimum for that too. Man Burn is practically mandatory as I understand it. One campmate did Box Office, I think she will have access to a reduced price ticket this year. Not 100% on that.
Honestly, full price would be fine as long as it was a sure thing.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

CrispyDave
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Galaxia Temple

Post by CrispyDave » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:39 pm

BBadger wrote:And it forces people to click through an "all of the above"-is-obviously-the-answer fluff quiz to see the info.

I assume that, like previous years, the hat presale tickets are still being sticker-priced at what the original buyer paid, despite the fact that the presale access is useless after the presale itself.
Low Income Tixs... xxxxx
Plan for the worst, expect the best.
Make the most out of it under any conditions.
If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself.

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm

https://tickets.burningman.org/2018-low ... t-program/

4000 low income tickets
CrispyDave wrote:
BBadger wrote:And it forces people to click through an "all of the above"-is-obviously-the-answer fluff quiz to see the info.

Low Income Tixs... xxxxx
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

Dr Helix
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Raoul wrote:
This is true. I have brought Art and MV's to the playa the last several years and have been eligible for DGS tickets when they were available. You have to have one year of contribution to be eligible, and if you miss a year, you can be left out.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:29 pm

I kind of miss the drama of the old days.

internet madness, crashing websites...

I really miss the older days of just showing up and buying at the gate.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Post by Leo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm glad I paid the freight for a $990.00 pre-sale ticket. Now I can skip the drama and uncertainty of the main sale. To paraphrase my favorite philosopher (Yogi Berra), Nobody goes to Burning Man any more- it's too crowded!
Best Regards,
Leo

Campmaster
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: 7 Sins Lounge

Post by Campmaster » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:16 pm

I've been going every year since 1999 and have run a small theme camp (7 Sins Lounge) since 2001, so I've seen the changes ticket sale-outs have brought.
DGS tickets aren't "Legacy" tickets- they go to camps that did well LAST year based on what they did, not as a reward for having gone for years. Do a poor job and you aren't offered DGS tickets the next year. Without DGS tickets theme camps wouldn't happen.

To help put the issue of DGS tickets in perspective I’ve done my best to pull together population, number of theme camps, number of DGS tickets, and percentage of DGS tickets by year since DGS tickets started in 2013. I had to dig through afterburn reports and my old emails from placement. This isn’t official and I don’t work for the BORG, but I thought this might help.

Year: 2013.
Total population: 69,613.
Theme camps: 1140.
DGS tickets: 10,000.
Percentage of DGS to total tickets: 14%

Year: 2014.
Total population: 65,922.
Theme camps: 1197.
DGS tickets: 15,000.
Percentage of DGS to total tickets: 22%

Year: 2015.
Total population: 67564.
Theme camps: 1150.
DGS tickets: 20,000.
Percentage of DGS to total tickets: 29%

Year: 2016.
Total population: 67290.
Theme camps: 1150 (est., assuming same as 2015. They base DGS needs on last years camps)
DGS tickets: 25,000.
Percentage of DGS to total tickets: 35%

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks Campmaster. I'm trying to wrap my head around those figures. Not a big jump in the amount of theme camps. Just larger camps. They really are squeezing the open camping area to the outskirts. The smallest placed camp is 50 by 50 feet. Looking at the map, there aren't many that small. Thanks again.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:10 am

I probably should know this, but what was the purpose of creating a Burner Profile as a prerequisite for purchasing tickets? It seemed everyone in the waiting room was randomly admitted in to the purchase page. Was part of the purpose originally designed to try to balance out newbies with veterans? Or was it a measure to address scalpers? Or something else?

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:33 pm

I expect the profile registration helps to: 1) reduce the ability of automated systems or multiple windows/accounts from being able to increase the odds of getting a ticket; 2) provide demographic data; 3) weed out dumbasses who can't even be self-reliant enough to register a profile or for the sale; 4) add another level of engagement, no matter how little, in the process of obtaining a ticket.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”