2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
Post Reply
User avatar
motskyroonmatick
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 am
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair
Location: Aurora Oregon

2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

User avatar
burner von braun
Posts: 1403
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:37 pm
Burning Since: 2010

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by burner von braun » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Thanks Motsky!

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5689
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by BBadger » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:58 am

And it forces people to click through an "all of the above"-is-obviously-the-answer fluff quiz to see the info.

Funny the breakdown of the ticket sale:
  • 5,000 for the presale tickets ($990 and $1,200)
  • 30,000 + 2,500 for the directed sale tickets ($425 ea)
  • 26,000 main sale tickets ($425 ea)
  • Some unknown number for people willing to pony up $1,200
  • 2,000 OMG tickets ($425)
So we've finally hit that tipping point where the event now emphasizes legacy burners and camps, with presale/boutique-priced tickets to round out the coffers, at the expense of the proletariat participating in the regular main sale. So continues Burning Man's cultural decline.

I assume that, like previous years, the hat presale tickets are still being sticker-priced at what the original buyer paid, despite the fact that the presale access is useless after the presale itself.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
Ratty
Posts: 5530
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by Ratty » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:05 am

And so it begins.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

User avatar
Token
Posts: 3769
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by Token » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:44 am

BBadger wrote:
So we've finally hit that tipping point where the event now emphasizes legacy burners and camps, with presale/boutique-priced tickets to round out the coffers, at the expense of the proletariat participating in the regular main sale. So continues Burning Man's cultural decline.
.
So now you are hot and bothered by meritocracy from some misguided flair for the peasantry ???

Shit, I’m thinking 50K should be tickets that go to folks that do, make, build.

Fuck the proletariat! They had their chance and blew it.

I’d be all in on merit based ticketing as the backbone and a symbolic “virgin” ticket lottery.

User avatar
Popeye
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton
Location: Where the east wind blows

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by Popeye » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:39 pm

I think the fluff quiz is a good idea, it's at least a start to requiring some indoctrination in the culture.

There are also (from 2017) 4000 LIT, so that leaves about 500 of the $1200.00 tickets. Not sure where they are accounting for the Burner Bus + tickets.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

User avatar
Elliot
Posts: 7690
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service
Location: Clearlake, Northern California
Contact:

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by Elliot » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:24 pm

We have a growing problem with clueless spectators, who are the worst threat to the Burning Man ethos, so I am with Token and Popeye on this.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public area, please.

In the 3:00 G Plaza this year

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

Image

User avatar
FlyingMonkey
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:33 am

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:30 am

Elliot wrote:We have a growing problem with clueless spectators, who are the worst threat to the Burning Man ethos, so I am with Token and Popeye on this.
Agreed. But I have a few questions that hopefully someone can chime in on...

- How does the number of DGS tickets compare to previous years?

- Will this affect the PNPs that always seem to be able to get the tickets they need for their (dare I say) business ventures?
-- Will PNPs, which seem to be very established camps, get DGS tickets???

- Do any of the DGS tickets go towards Artists/volunteers or is that a different pot?
-- Do artists & volunteers get recognized at all? Whats the criteria?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

User avatar
Raoul
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:50 pm
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Honest MiSteak
Location: New England

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by Raoul » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:58 am

FlyingMonkey wrote: - Do any of the DGS tickets go towards Artists/volunteers or is that a different pot?
-- Do artists & volunteers get recognized at all? Whats the criteria?
It is my understanding (based on nothing official) that the artists and the crews that support officially placed installations can qualify for DGS tickets in the same way that placed camps in good standing may qualify for them. As for volunteers, certain ones get a free ticket. Two examples are the official Regional Contacts and those who volunteer for a minimum number of shifts (6, I think) with various Org departments such as Gate or Rangers.
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Honest MiSteak: 2018
Hookah Lounge\Black Rock Power Co-op: 2014 - 2017

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 19778
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by AntiM » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Raoul wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote: - Do any of the DGS tickets go towards Artists/volunteers or is that a different pot?
-- Do artists & volunteers get recognized at all? Whats the criteria?
It is my understanding (based on nothing official) that the artists and the crews that support officially placed installations can qualify for DGS tickets in the same way that placed camps in good standing may qualify for them. As for volunteers, certain ones get a free ticket. Two examples are the official Regional Contacts and those who volunteer for a minimum number of shifts (6, I think) with various Org departments such as Gate or Rangers.
The Rangers in our camp have to do a certain number of hours to get a gift ticket the next year, and can get a reduced price ticket if they do not meet the full number, and there is a minimum for that too. Man Burn is practically mandatory as I understand it. One campmate did Box Office, I think she will have access to a reduced price ticket this year. Not 100% on that.

User avatar
FlyingMonkey
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:33 am

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:59 am

AntiM wrote:
Raoul wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote: - Do any of the DGS tickets go towards Artists/volunteers or is that a different pot?
-- Do artists & volunteers get recognized at all? Whats the criteria?
It is my understanding (based on nothing official) that the artists and the crews that support officially placed installations can qualify for DGS tickets in the same way that placed camps in good standing may qualify for them. As for volunteers, certain ones get a free ticket. Two examples are the official Regional Contacts and those who volunteer for a minimum number of shifts (6, I think) with various Org departments such as Gate or Rangers.
The Rangers in our camp have to do a certain number of hours to get a gift ticket the next year, and can get a reduced price ticket if they do not meet the full number, and there is a minimum for that too. Man Burn is practically mandatory as I understand it. One campmate did Box Office, I think she will have access to a reduced price ticket this year. Not 100% on that.
Honestly, full price would be fine as long as it was a sure thing.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

CrispyDave
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:05 pm
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Galaxia Temple
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by CrispyDave » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:39 pm

BBadger wrote:And it forces people to click through an "all of the above"-is-obviously-the-answer fluff quiz to see the info.

Funny the breakdown of the ticket sale:
  • 5,000 for the presale tickets ($990 and $1,200)
  • 30,000 + 2,500 for the directed sale tickets ($425 ea)
  • 26,000 main sale tickets ($425 ea)
  • Some unknown number for people willing to pony up $1,200
  • 2,000 OMG tickets ($425)
So we've finally hit that tipping point where the event now emphasizes legacy burners and camps, with presale/boutique-priced tickets to round out the coffers, at the expense of the proletariat participating in the regular main sale. So continues Burning Man's cultural decline.

I assume that, like previous years, the hat presale tickets are still being sticker-priced at what the original buyer paid, despite the fact that the presale access is useless after the presale itself.
Low Income Tixs... xxxxx
Plan for the worst, expect the best.
Make the most out of it under any conditions.
If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself.

User avatar
Rice
Posts: 1746
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Location: da

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by Rice » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm

https://tickets.burningman.org/2018-low ... t-program/

4000 low income tickets
CrispyDave wrote:
BBadger wrote:And it forces people to click through an "all of the above"-is-obviously-the-answer fluff quiz to see the info.

Funny the breakdown of the ticket sale:
  • 5,000 for the presale tickets ($990 and $1,200)
  • 30,000 + 2,500 for the directed sale tickets ($425 ea)
  • 26,000 main sale tickets ($425 ea)
  • Some unknown number for people willing to pony up $1,200
  • 2,000 OMG tickets ($425)
So we've finally hit that tipping point where the event now emphasizes legacy burners and camps, with presale/boutique-priced tickets to round out the coffers, at the expense of the proletariat participating in the regular main sale. So continues Burning Man's cultural decline.

I assume that, like previous years, the hat presale tickets are still being sticker-priced at what the original buyer paid, despite the fact that the presale access is useless after the presale itself.
Low Income Tixs... xxxxx
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

User avatar
Dr Helix
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe
Location: Hayward, CA

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by Dr Helix » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Raoul wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote: - Do any of the DGS tickets go towards Artists/volunteers or is that a different pot?
-- Do artists & volunteers get recognized at all? Whats the criteria?
It is my understanding (based on nothing official) that the artists and the crews that support officially placed installations can qualify for DGS tickets in the same way that placed camps in good standing may qualify for them. As for volunteers, certain ones get a free ticket. Two examples are the official Regional Contacts and those who volunteer for a minimum number of shifts (6, I think) with various Org departments such as Gate or Rangers.
This is true. I have brought Art and MV's to the playa the last several years and have been eligible for DGS tickets when they were available. You have to have one year of contribution to be eligible, and if you miss a year, you can be left out.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

User avatar
mdmf007
Moderator
Posts: 5320
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:32 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD
Location: my computer

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:29 pm

I kind of miss the drama of the old days.

internet madness, crashing websites...

I really miss the older days of just showing up and buying at the gate.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Leo
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep
Location: Seattle

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by Leo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm glad I paid the freight for a $990.00 pre-sale ticket. Now I can skip the drama and uncertainty of the main sale. To paraphrase my favorite philosopher (Yogi Berra), Nobody goes to Burning Man any more- it's too crowded!
Best Regards,
Leo

Campmaster
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:34 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: 7 Sins Lounge

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by Campmaster » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:16 pm

I've been going every year since 1999 and have run a small theme camp (7 Sins Lounge) since 2001, so I've seen the changes ticket sale-outs have brought.
DGS tickets aren't "Legacy" tickets- they go to camps that did well LAST year based on what they did, not as a reward for having gone for years. Do a poor job and you aren't offered DGS tickets the next year. Without DGS tickets theme camps wouldn't happen.

To help put the issue of DGS tickets in perspective I’ve done my best to pull together population, number of theme camps, number of DGS tickets, and percentage of DGS tickets by year since DGS tickets started in 2013. I had to dig through afterburn reports and my old emails from placement. This isn’t official and I don’t work for the BORG, but I thought this might help.

Year: 2013.
Total population: 69,613.
Theme camps: 1140.
DGS tickets: 10,000.
Percentage of DGS to total tickets: 14%

Year: 2014.
Total population: 65,922.
Theme camps: 1197.
DGS tickets: 15,000.
Percentage of DGS to total tickets: 22%

Year: 2015.
Total population: 67564.
Theme camps: 1150.
DGS tickets: 20,000.
Percentage of DGS to total tickets: 29%

Year: 2016.
Total population: 67290.
Theme camps: 1150 (est., assuming same as 2015. They base DGS needs on last years camps)
DGS tickets: 25,000.
Percentage of DGS to total tickets: 35%

User avatar
Ratty
Posts: 5530
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by Ratty » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks Campmaster. I'm trying to wrap my head around those figures. Not a big jump in the amount of theme camps. Just larger camps. They really are squeezing the open camping area to the outskirts. The smallest placed camp is 50 by 50 feet. Looking at the map, there aren't many that small. Thanks again.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

User avatar
Teo del Fuego
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:31 am
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust
Location: Denver

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:10 am

I probably should know this, but what was the purpose of creating a Burner Profile as a prerequisite for purchasing tickets? It seemed everyone in the waiting room was randomly admitted in to the purchase page. Was part of the purpose originally designed to try to balance out newbies with veterans? Or was it a measure to address scalpers? Or something else?

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5689
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: 2018 Ticket Information Is Out!

Post by BBadger » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:33 pm

I expect the profile registration helps to: 1) reduce the ability of automated systems or multiple windows/accounts from being able to increase the odds of getting a ticket; 2) provide demographic data; 3) weed out dumbasses who can't even be self-reliant enough to register a profile or for the sale; 4) add another level of engagement, no matter how little, in the process of obtaining a ticket.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Post Reply

Return to “Tickets Discussion”