Let the ranting begin!

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
alt12
Burning Since: 2003

Let the ranting begin!

Post by alt12 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:01 pm

Does anyone else find it obnoxious that BMORG/LLC/BMProject inserted a compulsory quiz on the ticketing page. I mean what kind of nanny-state crap is that? Before you get the privilege to spend $500 on a ticket, you must read our BS propaganda and answer our ideology questions correctly.

In case you don't want to, use Safari reader and skip over that shit.

For those not interested in a compulsory values test to purchase tickets, here's what the ticket page says:

Welcome to the Burning Man Ticket Page. This is the official source for information about Black Rock City 2018 tickets.

Up Next: Pre-Sale

REGISTRATION

Opens: January 24, 2018 12pm (noon) PST

Closes: January 26, 2018 12pm (noon) PST

SALE

Starts: January 31, 2018 12pm (noon) PST

all 2018 ticket sale dates
GENERAL TICKET SALE INFO

All sales require registration through Burner Profiles. Make sure your Profile is set up, complete, current, and that you know your log-in details.
Each sale has its own dedicated registration period.
Registering for a sale does not guarantee you access to a ticket or vehicle pass.
Buying a $425 ticket in any sale precludes you from buying additional $425 tickets in a later sale.
Only one order per person and per credit card is allowed.
You may not use the same credit card to purchase multiple orders.
The name on the credit card used to purchase is the name on the ticket order.
MasterCard and Visa are the only credit/debit cards accepted.
All sales of Burning Man tickets and vehicle passes are final and no refunds will be issued for any reason.
All tickets bought through online sales are fully transferrable and eligible for name changes.
Tickets and vehicle passes may only be resold for face value. Any tickets or vehicle passes being sold for above face-value may be canceled without notice or refund.
2018 SALES AND PROGRAMS

PRE-SALE
Registration: January 24, 2018 at 12pm (noon) – January 26, 2018 at 12pm (noon)

Sale starts: January 31, 2018 at 12pm (noon)

Approximately 5,000 tickets available, at two prices: $990 and $1,200 each, plus applicable fees and taxes.
Vehicle passes can only be purchased in conjunction with tickets. Any Pre-Sale orders consisting solely of vehicle passes will be cancelled without notice.
$990 & $1,200 Tickets are NOT eligible to be resold through the Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP).
More details to come.
For more information about the Pre-Sale, please read through the Pre-Sale section of our FAQ.

LOW INCOME TICKET PROGRAM
DIRECTED GROUP SALE
MAIN SALE
LIMITED $1,200 TICKETS
SECURE TICKET EXCHANGE PROGRAM (STEP)
KID'S TICKETS
OMG SALE
VEHICLE PASSES

All vehicles driving into Black Rock City are required to have a vehicle pass displayed in the windshield. Motorcycles and towed vehicles are exempt from the vehicle pass requirement.
Vehicle passes do not allow a vehicle to drive within Black Rock City. When you reach your camp, you are expected to park your car for the duration.
Vehicle passes will be available in each of the ticket sales.
Vehicle passes are restricted in each sale. Regardless of which sale you participate in, you may never buy vehicle passes in excess of one vehicle pass per two tickets. The Pre-Sale vehicle pass purchase limit is up to three (3) per order, in all other sales a maximum of one (1) vehicle pass per order.
There will be approximately 27,000 vehicle passes available total, at $80 each, plus applicable fees.
For more information about vehicle passes, please read through the FAQ.

DELIVERY, FEES & TAXES

During the purchase process, only orders within the U.S. and Canada have the option forf shipping. Will Call delivery is the only option available during sales for other international orders, but those in qualifying areas will be contacted directly with an option to upgrade their order to include international shipping. (Roughly 85% of our international purchases are in areas serviced.)
Changes to addresses or methods of delivery cannot be made after 12pm (noon) on May 30, 2018.
Orders will begin shipping mid-June 2018.
Within the U.S., orders are shipped securely using: USPS Signature Confirmation for $15 per order, or UPS 2nd Day Air for $22 per order.
Orders to Canada are shipped securely using Canada Post Regular Parcel for $29 per order, or Canada UPS Expedited for $39 per order.
Having orders held for Will Call pick up at the Box Office costs $15 per order. (Will Call delivery is the only delivery method subject to the 9% Nevada Live Entertainment Tax. $1.24 of the $15 fee is built-in tax.)
In addition to delivery fees, all orders are subject to processing fees of $12 per ticket or vehicle pass.
The 9% Nevada Live Entertainment Tax will be added to the price of all tickets. $8 of the $12 per-ticket service fee is also subject to this tax. Vehicle passes and their service fees are not taxed.
FRAUD PREVENTION & THIRD PARTY BUYER INFO

We understand that for some people buying tickets second-hand is the most realistic option. To help people do this more confidently, we have created a section of our FAQ with tips on buying tickets more safely.

Before buying a third-party ticket or vehicle pass, check to make sure the ticket, vehicle pass and/or order number isn’t listed on our voided ticket and order list. Tickets, vehicle passes, and orders can be voided for numerous reasons, including being reported as stolen, lost by the postal service, being sold for above their face value, or other breach of the terms and conditions of sale. When the list becomes live, we’ll link to it here, and it will continually be updated as we have new information. Any ticket or vehicle pass that has been voided is not valid for entry to Burning Man 2018.

If someone offers to transfer a ticket to you using the Ticket Transfer tool in Ticketfly, it will show up in your account immediately. If they tell you there is a delay, be very wary.

If you see marked-up tickets being offered anywhere else, contact ticketsupport@burningman.org with screenshots and details so we can pursue it (and yes, we really do). The more information you can provide us, the better.

If you see a listing for marked up tickets on eBay, please report the item directly to eBay to have it taken down. You can find instructions here.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Not finding the answer to your question here? Visit our extensive Ticket Support page to find the answers to (hopefully) all of your questions!

Additionally, you can email us, and we’ll be happy to answer any ticket-related questions.

2018 IMPORTANT DATES

All of our sales and programs open and close at 12pm (noon) Pacific Time. Not sure when that is in your area? Use this handy timezone converter.

Date What is Happening
Wednesday, January 24 - Friday, January, 26, 2018 Pre-Sale ($990 & $1,200) registration open
Wednesday, January 31, 2018 Pre-Sale ($900 & $1,200) SALE starts
Wednesday, February 14 - Monday, April 16, 2018 Low Income Ticket Application open
Tuesday, February 13 - Friday, February 23, 2018 Directed Group Sale form open
Wednesday, February 28
Directed Group Sale ($425) SALE starts
Wednesday, March 21 - Friday, March 23, 2018 Main Sale ($425) registration open
Wednesday, March 28, 2018 Main Sale ($425) SALE starts
Wednesday, April 4, 2018 $1200 tickets on SALE in Profiles
Wednesday, April 11, 2018 STEP opens to participants submitting $425 tickets & vehicle passes
Wednesday, April 25, 2018 STEP opens to participants wanting to buy $425 tickets & vehicle passes
Tuesday, May 30, 2018 Last day to request delivery/shipping changes
Mid-June Ticket order delivery begins
Sunday, July 16, 2018 STEP closes to sellers
Friday, July 20, 2018 STEP closes to buyers (last links sent)
Wednesday, July 25 - Friday, July 27, 2018 OMG Sale ($425) registration open
Wednesday, August 1, 2018 OMG Sale ($425) starts
STAY INFORMED

For the most up to date ticket info check this page regularly and subscribe to Burning Man’s email newsletter the Jackrabbit Speaks.

Ticket Support Terms and Conditions

Sham

Re: Let the ranting begin!

Post by Sham » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:09 pm

I'm not sure what you're talking about a compulsory quiz. This looks like the same information that's been provided for the past several years.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:13 am

Where's the quiz? I went to the BM site. The event. Tickets. I saw all the info and found no quiz. My rant would be I've been overlooked. Nobody wants to quiz me.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

engineer2012
Burning Since: 2012

Post by engineer2012 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:41 pm

I have to do the quiz. Maybe the quiz only applies for non USA participants?
"If you wish to go to extremes, let it be in sweetness, patience, humility and charity." - St. Philip Neri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:01 am

I'm in the US, and I saw the quiz.

thnkfl
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Outpost Aught Naught Cipher Nothing

Post by thnkfl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:58 pm

It was fun. I took it twice!
Make it, enjoy it, let it go.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:03 pm

I keep failing.

As a citizen of Black Rock City, I am responsible for my own…

e) shit
f ) Wait, I can Spend lots of money to have my every need attended to and not have to be around those, you know, those hippies hipsters.
g ) Nothing! The Playa provides (trick question).
e ) What? I'm just there for the weekend. None of that "stuff" applies to me.......right?
f ) Feathers, thats the answer right? I need to bring all my own feathers.

I got this!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

BaudEByter
Burning Since: 2021

Post by BaudEByter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:19 pm

For the presale tickets it states some are $900 and some are $1200. I understand a ticket is a ticket and all and there are no perks. What is the difference? By that I mean how do you get one over the other.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:46 pm

BaudEByter wrote:For the presale tickets it states some are $900 and some are $1200. I understand a ticket is a ticket and all and there are no perks. What is the difference? By that I mean how do you get one over the other.
Nothing. Zip. You are donating to the project to support art, etc.

BaudEByter
Burning Since: 2021

Post by BaudEByter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:51 pm

AntiM wrote:
BaudEByter wrote:For the presale tickets it states some are $900 and some are $1200. I understand a ticket is a ticket and all and there are no perks. What is the difference? By that I mean how do you get one over the other.

So there is a choice at the time of purchase or are there a limited # at $900

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 am

AntiM wrote:
Well the free pass for the Playa subway was nice but last years high water ruined that. :shock:

It's Gifting before you even arrive Home. The thought being that you are offsetting the cost of the main sale tickets (Not sure I really buy that). The last time I bought one there was only 1 price so someone else will have to chime in on your question but I suspect you have a choice of which to purchase once you get in to the Pre-sale.

I've bought pre-sale tickets a few times when I could afford to do so. One year I was offered a DGS ticket literally right after I bought a Pre-sale ticket. I have to admit the temptation to buy a cheaper ticket & sell the more expensive pre-sale ticket was there, but I would have felt pretty shitty doing so. Now the pre-sale tickets are too expensive for me so I probably won't be doing that anymore.

People have different reasons for spending more $$ for the same outcome. Some (Dare I say most) feel their odds of snagging a presale ticket are better than the main sale and use it as a hedge against not going. To be honest, I wish buying a pre-sale ticket would lock you out of the main sale but I don't think that's a thing and probably wont ever happen.

As Burning Man gets more & more expensive I question whether I want to afford going every year much less pay up for the experience.

YMMV
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:14 pm

The extra money goes to support the art etc. The value you receive is the peace of mind knowing you have your tickets locked in, no matter what happens in the main sale; you're removing the risk of not getting a ticket. After the main sale, it gets you through Gate just like any cheaper ticket.

That's what irks some of us, when people buy a presale ticket as insurance, go in the main sale and get lucky, and then try to sell their presale ticket for the original $900-$1200 price. You already extracted the value, and now it's not more valuable than any other ticket.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:44 pm

BaudEByter wrote:
AntiM wrote:

So there is a choice at the time of purchase or are there a limited # at $900
"Approximately 5,000 tickets available". The actual number probably ebbs and flows. You can purchase four of these.

Buying a presale as insurance and then trying in the Main Sale is allowed, but we will judge those who do this harshly.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:13 am

AntiM wrote:
Catching the Rocky Horror Picture Show on Friday night makes it worth every penny :D

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:45 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:
AntiM wrote:
Catching the Rocky Horror Picture Show on Friday night makes it worth every penny :D
Awww, thank you.

engineer2012

Post by engineer2012 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:56 am

Pre sale ticket is $990 (or $1200). Not $900. When entering the sale, there is a choice: $990 or $1200, until the $990 is sold out.
And yes, it is an insurance. For foreign burners this is better because of preparation (flight, car / RV rental). The earlier the better and cheaper. The higher ticket price is compensated for the most by the cheaper flight and RV rental cost.
I did it 3 times now (but never bought or try to buy main sale), works ok for me.
"If you wish to go to extremes, let it be in sweetness, patience, humility and charity." - St. Philip Neri

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:49 am

engineer2012 wrote:Pre sale ticket is $990 (or $1200). Not $900. When entering the sale, there is a choice: $990 or $1200, until the $990 is sold out.
And yes, it is an insurance. For foreign burners this is better because of preparation (flight, car / RV rental). The earlier the better and cheaper. The higher ticket price is compensated for the most by the cheaper flight and RV rental cost.
I did it 3 times now (but never bought or try to buy main sale), works ok for me.
I can understand that.

I just hate it when folks buy the Pre-Sale tickets with every intention of unloading them if they get tickets in the main sale. Too bad they are so expensive though.

JohnnyA
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Real Pirate Radio

Post by JohnnyA » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:29 pm

AntiM wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote: Catching the Rocky Horror Picture Show on Friday night makes it worth every penny :D
Awww, thank you.
I'd really like to participate in this next year, but my Friday night is generally dedicated to working burn perimeters.

When do you play/perform RHPS?

If I can schedule my commitments to be a part of the show before/in-between burns, that would be wonderful!!! :mrgreen:

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:54 am

We always play Friday night at midnight at Videogasm, with a Tuesday practice. Join the public facebook group, and watch for casting call. Some of us do the same parts, but there's always a need for enthusiastic people!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/809733289078410/

Return to “Tickets Discussion”