Low Income Tickets

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
WhiskyGrumbles
Burning Since: 2018

Low Income Tickets

Post by WhiskyGrumbles » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm

I'm applying for low income tickets tomorrow once the application opens.

I've never been and I've always wanted to go but never been able to afford until I found out that they did a low income ticket.

Have any of you applied and been accepted? How long does it take to find out (I know the website said 12 weeks but is it sooner or later?)

Also I've read online in forums that there's been an issue of people who can afford tickets lying about their income so they can get a cheaper price. :( Has that actually been a major issue?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Low Income Tickets

Post by Ratty » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Sent your proof of need. It wouldn't hurt to write a short essay about yourself. Only if there's something nice to say. Have you been in contact with any burners? Do you have plans to volunteer for a particular department? Etc...Send it in early. Later on they won't have as much time to read your 'Queen For a Day' story. If your financials are legit they'll know it. Good luck.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

WhiskyGrumbles

Post by WhiskyGrumbles » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 am

Ratty wrote:Sent your proof of need. It wouldn't hurt to write a short essay about yourself. Only if there's something nice to say. Have you been in contact with any burners? Do you have plans to volunteer for a particular department? Etc...Send it in early. Later on they won't have as much time to read your 'Queen For a Day' story. If your financials are legit they'll know it. Good luck.

I've reached out on facebook and been connected with a friend of a friend who goes. I've also joined my regional facebook group. Thanks for the advice. :)

Smkan
Burning Since: 2016

Post by Smkan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:40 am

Hi!
I've been trying to apply for the low income program but I can't find the page of registration and the link that is send on the info page does not seems to work..
Do you guys know where/how can we do the application?

Thank youu :)

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 am

Try again after 10 noon.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

2Thu
Camp Name: Camp Against the Machine

Post by 2Thu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:18 pm

I am also experiencing the same issue, weird...

playakaya
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Tribal Spirit

Post by playakaya » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:20 am

Okay, a few things.

First off, congratulations on doing what you need to do to get to where you want to go <3

In terms of people who wouldn't be considered "low income" applying, don't worry about it. Last year there were so many low income tickets left over that they extended the application period. They also work on a first-come, first-served basis (as far as I know), which means that if you apply early, and you fit what they're looking for (in my mind it's a need/kindness combo), you should be fine. I've usually heard at the earliest, 6 weeks and the latest, 8.

Good luck!

WhiskyGrumbles

Post by WhiskyGrumbles » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:23 am

playakaya wrote:Okay, a few things.

First off, congratulations on doing what you need to do to get to where you want to go <3

In terms of people who wouldn't be considered "low income" applying, don't worry about it. Last year there were so many low income tickets left over that they extended the application period. They also work on a first-come, first-served basis (as far as I know), which means that if you apply early, and you fit what they're looking for (in my mind it's a need/kindness combo), you should be fine. I've usually heard at the earliest, 6 weeks and the latest, 8.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!! I'm getting SO excited to find out if I got accepted.

playakaya

Post by playakaya » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:49 am

Haha and my advice there is PUT IT OUUUUUT OF YOUR MINDDDDDD.
Forget about the soonest possible date you could find out...
And focus on all the other things in life (or playa planning) that bring you joy!

Natrick011

Post by Natrick011 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:12 am

I got at low income ticket in 2017. It took four weeks to get a response after submitting the application. An important part of my application (not necessarily yours) was talking about how I had volunteered in the past and how I was going to volunteer in the future. I submitted my tax returns from the previous year which was pretty up to date with my current financial situation because I applied in March.

One thing to be aware of is that you need to pick up your tickets at Will Call which can significantly extend your entrance time. You should let everyone in your vehicle know that you need to stop at Will Call which can be frustrating when you are SOOOO CLOOOOOSE. We got there last year at the 6am shift change and ended up parked for a few hours, but it was nice to see the sunrise and dance in the line!

I couldn't have attended the burn for the past two years if not for financial support from friends and the org. Having the money to spend on a full priced ticket isn't radically self reliant, it's capitalist. Supporting low/no income people to experience the burn is radically inclusive, a gift, and decommodifying!

playakaya

Post by playakaya » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:43 am

THAT exact time (when you're so close) is my FAVE. Your feet hit playa, you run up to will call (which has ALWAYS gone super super fast for me- all 7 times), you get your first hug or your first smile... you meet people in line, many of which are just as elated to be so close! It's like... playa foreplay. I love it. P.s. it's now been 4 weeks since I applied and I'm starting to think about it more and more...
Natrick011 wrote:I got at low income ticket in 2017. It took four weeks to get a response after submitting the application. An important part of my application (not necessarily yours) was talking about how I had volunteered in the past and how I was going to volunteer in the future. I submitted my tax returns from the previous year which was pretty up to date with my current financial situation because I applied in March.

One thing to be aware of is that you need to pick up your tickets at Will Call which can significantly extend your entrance time. You should let everyone in your vehicle know that you need to stop at Will Call which can be frustrating when you are SOOOO CLOOOOOSE. We got there last year at the 6am shift change and ended up parked for a few hours, but it was nice to see the sunrise and dance in the line!

I couldn't have attended the burn for the past two years if not for financial support from friends and the org. Having the money to spend on a full priced ticket isn't radically self reliant, it's capitalist. Supporting low/no income people to experience the burn is radically inclusive, a gift, and decommodifying!

WhiskyGrumbles

Post by WhiskyGrumbles » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:54 pm

It's been 6 weeks for me today. I'm soooo excited and nervous!! :D :D :D

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Anyone hear back yet?

Cherrygirl 6
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Cherrygirl 6 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:04 pm

Yay! I got low income ticket, just got an email an hour ago :) :D so excited :) :) :)

hotdog ninja

Post by hotdog ninja » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Woohoo! Same here!

WhiskyGrumbles

Post by WhiskyGrumbles » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:50 pm

I just got mine!! I’ll officially be going for the first time. See y’all there :D

flying-hawk

Post by flying-hawk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:49 pm

I'm totally disapointed , i didn't get low income Ticket for the second time. Don't know why.
I didn't have volunteer experience but offering volunteering. But maybe they prefer other cheap non German volunteers

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:57 am

flying -Hawk, Sorry. That hurts. Did you go last year in spite of not getting a low income ticket? Did you volunteer? Did you try to buy a ticket in the main sale? Maybe they couldn't understand your financials.

Arthur Schopenhauer

HotPantsonFire

Post by HotPantsonFire » Thu May 24, 2018 11:19 am

NEVERMIND I FOUND IT!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I checked my burner profile dashboard and it says that I got approved for my low income ticket. But I didn't receive an email like some people said they have.

I am sure that my email address is correct. But would really like to get the email so I can make 100% sure that I have everything I need when I go up to will call. Any suggestions!

korierika4
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Temple of the flying spaghetti monster

Post by korierika4 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:03 pm

Congrats to all who made it and sorry for the ones that did not. Currently waiting for a response on the low income app. Hopeful!
The answer may not be at Burning Man, but shouldn't we at least check :?:

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:37 pm

One of my camp-members applied for L.I. on March 25, and her Burner Profile still shows "Pending review". Are there others who are still awaiting a decision?

Second item:
At least one year... they reopened for more applications because they did not have the full 4,000 approved applicants. Please let me know if this happens now.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”