Low Income *and* main ticket registration?

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
makoona

Low Income *and* main ticket registration?

Post by makoona » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:06 pm

I've applied for a low income ticket. I'm trying to figure out if I should also register for regular ticket sales.

thanks

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Low Income *and* main ticket registration?

Post by Ratty » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:42 pm

I'm confused. If you can't afford to buy a regular priced ticket why would you register for the sale?
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

makoona

Post by makoona » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:28 pm

the best way i can think of putting it right now is this. life is comprised of shades of grey. not black and white.

if my low income ticket gets declined but i haven't registered for a regular ticket sale, I won't have the opportunity to move my diet over to ramen noodles for a few months in the hope I can that way afford a normal ticket.

The timing and sequence of low income ticket and regular ticket registrations and applications is awkward.

In addition, when registering for a regular ticket sale, there's no knowing if I'll have access to a $425, $990 or a $1200 ticket. I could most probably swing a $425 ticket on ramen noodles for two months. The other ticket tiers, and I don't go.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:14 pm

You really need to read more. You are very confused. Ticket tiers? Nope. Don't have any tiers. Go to the BM site and seek out some ticket info. It's there. And NO. You can not do what you're trying to do. That's a douche move. You sent proof to them that you're too poor to buy a regular ticket. They probably read this already and tossed your application. Good luck in the after market.

PacoAleman
Burning Since: 2018

Post by PacoAleman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:53 pm

So pretty much you wanna know if before the 28th you get an answer... I think they will reply AFTER the main sale so they "Clean" all the people that DO can pay $425.

makoona

Post by makoona » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:13 am

I have read all the q&a on tickets to see if my question would be answered there.

"You may purchase up to four (4) tickets at the $990 price, four (4) at the $1200 price, and up to two (2) tickets at the $425 price. Vehicle passes are limited to one vehicle pass per two tickets."

This looks like tiers, or maybe categories is more accurate, but if tickets sell out quickly, it's actually tiers.

My first visit to burningman, there were no tickets, my last, there were tickets but they wouldn't sell out of tickets for another several years. I'm just trying to figure out how to do this correctly given a very confusing ticket buying procedure. There's no call for words like "douche"

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:33 am

The point is that the low income sale is intended for those who absolutely could not attend unless they got the lower-priced ticket. It is not intended for those who *could* scrimp and save enough to buy a regular-priced ticket, but would prefer not to.

My understanding is that you will not hear back about your LI application until after the main sale, and further that the schedule is deliberately set up that way to prevent people from doing exactly what you are asking about.

As for your questions about the various prices on tickets, that's all clearly answered on the main ticketing page at https://tickets.burningman.org - each of the sale descriptions lists the tickets available in that sale and how much they cost.

makoona

Post by makoona » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks Papa Bear for helpful info.

I apologise, I did not read the fine print carefully enough. Things are pretty well laid out on the Low Income Ticket page, here:

https://tickets.burningman.org/2018-low ... t-program/

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:50 am

Whatever the policies laid out in that page, you should not be applying for low-income tickets if you can afford main sale. The LIT is not meant to be some second chance to get a ticket, but the only chance.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 am

As a rule, if you can afford to participate in the main sale... you're not a good candidate for the low income ticket program. Purchasing a ticket will most certainly disqualify your low income application. I can appreciate that you want to game the system and increase your chances, but it strikes me as the kind of thing that probably isn't difficult for the low income team to spot during their review process.

Riccochet-Rabbit
Camp Name: Camp Nowhere

Post by Riccochet-Rabbit » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Help me understand the thought process behind LIT.

A person who can't afford a normal ticket applies for a LIT and saves $235. With everything it takes to make it to and survive the burn, how could one afford to attend the event at all?

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:16 pm

I generally have that same view of the LIT program as well. The marginal price difference should not be the financial difference between going and not going -- and if it is, you probably ought to not go and strain your finances. However, it may be such that receiving a LIT ticket just helps decide whether to go or not, not that the price difference presents a true undue burden. More like "if I can save $235, then I think I'll go."

It may even presents a better chance for someone to get a ticket at all since the applications are actually evaluated, rather than being at the mercy of the main sale insanity.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Breakstasy

Post by Breakstasy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:54 am

Dear all,

I am very confused. The instructions for the Low Income ticket application doesn't mention at any point that applying for other ticket sales will rule one out of an income ticket, just that BUYING a ticket through any other sales disqualifies one for a low income ticket. Yet there is another forum with people claiming that if you apply for STEP and low income automatically excludes one from low income, even though there is no official information confirming this. At this point I feel a little duped. Yes I can afford a 425$ ticket (and I did apply for the main sale previously) and I have a applied through STEP but I have been struggling last year and thought that I stood a chance of qualifying for a low income ticket. Frankly I find it pretty disingenuous that the burning Man Org does not explicitly state that the two are mutually exclusive and lets you apply for both. I feel like I might have wasted my time putting forth all of the low income ticket documentation.

Moving on, what do you all think I should do? Do I pull out of STEP or do I pull out of low income?

Please help, I'm a newbie, trying to navigate the system but they are really not making it easy.....

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Break, I'm not at all confused as to WHY you did it. Tickets are hard to get. You are complaining about some info that misled you on the LIT page.

How about reading the LIT page. Second sentence....
Low Income Ticket Program
Approximately 4,000 tickets at $190 each will be available through our 2018 Low Income Ticket Program. These tickets are reserved for participants on a limited income who cannot otherwise afford our regular priced ticket.
New burners often try to work all the angels without realizing those are old ideas. Are you at least a little tiny bit ashamed of yourself?

I don't know if your application has been pulled or if your STEP tickets will come through. You probably won't be able to beg a ticket on this site. I'm not being mean. Some of us think that pretending to be poorer than you are is a cheap shot. Good luck. I hope you make it there somehow.

Breakstasy

Post by Breakstasy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:00 pm

Ratty,
I understand that I may have broken some of the rules and I should have known better, but please consider this:
1. I am new to navigating the rules, and while I should have known better, note that at no point do the instructions specifically say that applying for any other ticket sales would constitute automatic disbarring
2. I have had some genuine struggles and toils, and while I may not be as deserving of a low income ticket as some other applicants (I'm sure), still getting that low income ticket would have been a big help, I didn't just bullshit through an application and certainly didn't do this with the intended purpose of wasting someone's time
3. As discussed in some other low income forums the difference between the low income and 400$ tickets is much smaller than the total amount it takes one to go to burning man so to many (and I have talked with other successful applicants for the low income program who also said that they could probably afford 400$ tickets but low income was more straightforward)

Also, I feel like I wouldn't be in this pickle if I hadn't missed out on the general sale. Like many others I applied out of desperation. I understand that this is not the purpose of the low income application but I also think that the reason why they are so many applicants is the difficulty in obtaining 400$ tickets (and the high price of the 1200$ tickets)

Anyways I will go ahead and cancel my low income application.

I will also see you at the next census get together in a couple of weeks.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling, taking the moderator hat off and speaking purely personally this is what I'm getting from your posts. You say that you should have known better, but the meat of those posts reads like excuses and blamestorming. Ticket information is posted well in advance of registration and on-sale dates, just like it is every year. If you had just genuinely not heard a thing about Burning Man until after the main sale had come and gone, yeah that's a bummer but if it helps it takes most people who do go a year or three to get their stuff together and finally make it happen. Not just to save up for the expense, but because there's a whole lot to learn about and a lot of preparation involved.

When I read about tickets, as well as the low income program on that first year (and in all the years since), it reads to me as being pretty straight-forward (the clue for me was in the name). Of course, I've been going a while, and when I started it hadn't yet started to sell out so it was real simple: if you can afford a regular ticket you go that route, and if you can't you fill out the low income application and go that route. Again, probably because it hadn't sold out yet but it never occurred to me to try and game anything by applying anyway. I still read it as an either-or kind of thing, and generally think that if paying the full price for a ticket is even in your financial reach, you're probably may not be a great candidate.

I hope that you're able to somehow make things work and go for this year, but if not then hopefully you're on your way to preparing for next year. You may not think it's easy, but believe me it has never been easier. In years past information about the event was much harder to come by, resources were harder to come by (things that are often easily ordered or found locally often had to be made without much help), and details were posted with much less advance notice. For many (if not most), this is not an easy adventure. Aside from the costs and the efforts to prepare, the event itself is often a difficult environment just to be in.

Okay, putting the mod hat back on, I'd direct you to the low income ticket page and the contact information there for any questions or concerns you may have regarding your application.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Riccochet-Rabbit wrote:Help me understand the thought process behind LIT.

A person who can't afford a normal ticket applies for a LIT and saves $235. With everything it takes to make it to and survive the burn, how could one afford to attend the event at all?
Haha, yup, I've had that same thought. But for some people, every penny counts, and if it makes the event affordable for those people, I think it's a good idea.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “Tickets Discussion”