Phones and tablets for buying tickets

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
PlayaPatrol

Phones and tablets for buying tickets

Post by PlayaPatrol » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:53 pm

Has anyone used a tablet, iPad or smart phone to buy a ticket?
Or do you know if it will work?

Sham

Re: Phones and tablets for buying tickets

Post by Sham » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:06 pm

PlayaPatrol wrote:Has anyone used a tablet, iPad or smart phone to buy a ticket?
Or do you know if it will work?
Theoretically it can be done. Where every second is important, I would recommend against doing that though.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:24 am

What Sham said. It's absolutely possible, but due to the nature of how cellular service works (where the connection breaks and resumes/reconnects multiple times during any given period), it does significantly increase the chances of losing your place in line. If you're buying tickets to an event that doesn't have high demand or you're only likely to be in the queue for a few minutes... it's less of an issue. But on high demand ticket on-sales with longer wait times, it could be the difference in getting through in time. Good luck!

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:57 pm

I know this is late to the party so this is for next year.....

Here is what I did the last two years.

1. Laptop on the home network using one WAN IP.
2. Laptop on my neighbor's network on a different WAN IP.
3. My phone on its own WAN IP.

Last year I jumped in the que at different times. 11:30, 11:45, & 11:55. I had all three walking the man about 12:01. The Phone walked out first and I bought tickets at 12:10 or so.
This year I said fuckit and jumped into the que at 11:05. All three were walking at 11:55. The phone walked out first again and I bought tickets. But it was almost 12:25 this year. Why the phone walks faster than the laptops I have no idea.

Some say the Que is determined by your BM profile account. I think it's determined by the WAN IP as I had different Que IDs for each device. No science to back it up, just my observation.

Anyway, that's how I did it. Probably won't work next year but Imma gonna do it again anyway. :mrgreen:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Return to “Tickets Discussion”