Main Sale Discussion Thread 2018

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
bigbait
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Main Sale Discussion Thread 2018

Post by bigbait » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:23 pm

Maji wrote:Had a glitch too...
I was logged into ticket fly and waiting in line, then got the you are being redirected and then sent to the original login asking for the promo code..... had to retrieve it and enter it and then no tickets left..... so much for the HMI....
i am referring to glitches once the tickets are already in your cart and you are checking out.

BobSpelledBackwards2
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Hushville

Post by BobSpelledBackwards2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:08 pm

That may have been the most stressful thing I have ever done sitting in a room alone staring at the computer. First waiting for the sale to start, not clear what was going to happen, whether I would need to enter information quickly. But no, into the waiting room, ok I see how it works. Then waiting for the little green man to move, looking like he would get across after around 20 minutes when I read that it sold out in 20 minutes last year.

19 minutes in and I get into ticketfly.

Then weird things happening. Threw me back into the green man saying it would redirect me again, which it did. Then it wanted the promo code that I didn't need the first time. Luckily I had saved the code into my copy buffer for quick paste. Then it said my order was for 2 tickets when I only want 1. Back button (risking killing the whole thing), confirm I had 1 checked. Back to 2 ticket screen. Briefly consider buying the 2 tickets sell one later on STEP. See an edit button that let me change to 1 ticket. Credit card, purchase button.

Will call or mail the ticket? I dont know! I read someplace there was an advantage or disadvantage to one or the other but can't remember which. Took will call.

All of this done at frantic pace suspecting I was at the border of selling out time, thinking getting the order placed quickly might help.

I can't believe it. I got a ticket! I'm going to burning man!!!

Sorry to those who did not.
Live in the Chicago area. I spell my name backwards because there are so many Bob's around I thought I would do something different.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Jackass wrote:I think vps get void if you didn't purchase a ticket, I could be wrong...
I'm pretty certain that this applies to the Presale, but not so sure about the Main Sale itself. If I recall correctly, the past couple of years the VPs sold out ahead of the tickets, so this time, with reports of VPs being the last thing available, it seems to be a new trend. If I had to guess, I'd say they are good, but it would be nice to get official word from ticketing so folks know where they stand going forward.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:40 pm

If that's the case, I should have bought one too.

I'm not buffed up on the latest rounds of ticket rules.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

hacktron
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Hacktron

Post by hacktron » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Wow, the emotional roller coaster of the main sale has struck again!

Earlier I found myself @ 11:30 am with my ticketfly account pre-registered days before hand, my credit card info typed out on a notepad, and staring at this walking man green status bar.

Assuming the website is giving me accurate information and not waiting to jeopardize any part of losing my 2018 tickets I follow instructions to a "T" and waiting for the website to progress me to the next step since it clearly labels "Do not refresh the page... Blah Blah Blah!".

An hour and 10 mins later I hear "THE CHIME", followed by me finding myself (guess I didn't need burning man for that one ;) looking at a screen that asked for the promo code. Easy I thought as I pasted the pre-copied promo code into the box as if I knew or expected it to be the first step into my successful purchase.

The next screen is the ticket selection part, however no option for quantity is available. So I refresh, and refresh and suddenly there it is the options to select 2 burning man 2018 tickets! Yes! I thought out load, yeah really out load... but wait where is the option for a vehicle pass, oh whatever skip it I click checkout ---> Oh no, ERROR Tickets not available. WTF I thought, ok refresh, wow there it is It's it's the vehicle pass! Oh no, WHY me!

So this goes on for 10 grueling mins or so, until ticketfly just kills the site with a "Main Sale" - Not available or some message like that.

I really dislike the way ticketing is issued, but whatever I will find tickets somehow, For all those partaking in tickets sales online from now on be careful not to follow instructions (LOL) because I couldn't have been more prepared.

Anyways I amongst the many is now in search for tickets :lol:

turquoisekestrel

Post by turquoisekestrel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:55 pm

UtahGirl1969 wrote:
UtahGirl1969 wrote:
desertmuguet wrote:when can we buy the tickets from who won't attend?
I believe that is around the 27th of April.

I wasn’t able to get two tickets in the sale but I’m not giving up. I noticed a thread from last year for people looking for tickets but it’s been locked.

Time for a 2018 thread?
Strangely enough I’m not even bummed that I didn’t get tickets in the sale. I keep thinking this challenge is just part of my journey to Burning Man.
me too! I really thought I'd be in a terrible mood all day after getting up at 5.30am and not getting them, but if anything I'm just even more excited for when i do eventually get them!

LarryBMIII
Burning Since: 1999

Post by LarryBMIII » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:39 pm

Clicked the button in my profile no more than two seconds past noon. Had the little guy strolling across my screen for one hour and 26 minutes. On the final page - "Main sale tickets are sold out".
The last time I went was 2001. I wanted to go one last time before the body wears out. I was so optimistic at 11:59:59 am.

I guess my next step is STEP, the Secure Ticket Exchange Program :
https://ticketsupport.burningman.org/cu ... ough-step-

"On Wednesday, April 25 201 at 12pm (noon) PDT, STEP opens to participants wishing to buy $425 tickets. You'll need to log in your Burner Profile to get in to the STEP queue for a chance to buy a ticket."

For reference:
https://ticketsupport.burningman.org

turquoisekestrel

Post by turquoisekestrel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:15 pm

So the STEP queue is not like the real time watch the green man, it's login at the time and register for STEP, then wait for an email to say tickets are available for you now?

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:50 am

turquoisekestrel wrote:So the STEP queue is not like the real time watch the green man, it's login at the time and register for STEP, then wait for an email to say tickets are available for you now?
Yep that’s pretty much how it works. Be sure to log in/register as soon as it opens. It’s a first come first serve sort of thing. So the second it opens...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

turquoisekestrel

Post by turquoisekestrel » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:37 am

lucky420 wrote:
turquoisekestrel wrote:So the STEP queue is not like the real time watch the green man, it's login at the time and register for STEP, then wait for an email to say tickets are available for you now?
Yep that’s pretty much how it works. Be sure to log in/register as soon as it opens. It’s a first come first serve sort of thing. So the second it opens...
Alarm set for 5.30am that morning!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:05 am

@Jackass - BvB is right, only the presale has an event ticket requirement on the order.

@turquoisekestrel - the secure ticket exchange does not have an allotment of tickets sitting in it (like a regular ticket sale). It is dependent on people contributing their tickets if their plans should change and they can not go. It is basically a big queueing system combined with a secure transaction engine and transfer tool. I think this is a great resource, especially for those who may not have an established network of burner friends and acquaintances that could help them find buyers/sellers.

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Will call is a 4-8 hour wait in the baking sun. There are 500 People who don't have their paperwork in order. 5 ticket windows are open.
Unless you go very late at night, Avoid will call.
It's a clusterfuck.
BobSpelledBackwards2 wrote:That may have been the most stressful thing I have ever done sitting in a room alone staring at the computer. First waiting for the sale to start, not clear what was going to happen, whether I would need to enter information quickly. But no, into the waiting room, ok I see how it works. Then waiting for the little green man to move, looking like he would get across after around 20 minutes when I read that it sold out in 20 minutes last year.

19 minutes in and I get into ticketfly.

Then weird things happening. Threw me back into the green man saying it would redirect me again, which it did. Then it wanted the promo code that I didn't need the first time. Luckily I had saved the code into my copy buffer for quick paste. Then it said my order was for 2 tickets when I only want 1. Back button (risking killing the whole thing), confirm I had 1 checked. Back to 2 ticket screen. Briefly consider buying the 2 tickets sell one later on STEP. See an edit button that let me change to 1 ticket. Credit card, purchase button.

Will call or mail the ticket? I dont know! I read someplace there was an advantage or disadvantage to one or the other but can't remember which. Took will call.

All of this done at frantic pace suspecting I was at the border of selling out time, thinking getting the order placed quickly might help.

I can't believe it. I got a ticket! I'm going to burning man!!!

Sorry to those who did not.
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

BobSpelledBackwards2

Post by BobSpelledBackwards2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:37 pm

PlayaPatrol wrote:Will call is a 4-8 hour wait in the baking sun. There are 500 People who don't have their paperwork in order. 5 ticket windows are open.
It's a clusterfuck.
Hmmm, not good. Thanks for the warning. Reading the burning man website tickets discussion it seems I can send an email asking to change to physical delivery. I suppose it makes sense to do as much as you can in advance rather than during the crush of arrival.

By the way, I found what I had previously read about will call versus physical delivery that I couldn't remember during the ticket purchase (as I talked about in my last post). Once you get physical delivery of a ticket you can't sell it in STEP. However, reading deeper, physical delivery isn't until mid-June. More specifically it is clearly explained that if you take physical delivery May 30 is the last day you can sell through STEP, where for will call you can sell until July 16.

On the other hand, it seems doubtful that anything would cause me to change my mind and want to sell the ticket between May 30 and July 16. So it seems I should send the email requesting the change to physical delivery.
Live in the Chicago area. I spell my name backwards because there are so many Bob's around I thought I would do something different.

BobSpelledBackwards2

Post by BobSpelledBackwards2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:25 pm

I had read that in 2017 tickets sold out in 20 minutes.

I read someplace someone saying that actually the sale was probably over in 3 minutes if not 3 seconds, and the rest of the time was processing orders in the queue.

Now that I have been through it I believe what I read was misinformation. That saying it is over in 3 seconds is making it more stressful than it actually is.

In another thread in this forum "1 hour queue before main sale" it is clearly explained that the waiting room opens an hour before the sale and when you enter the waiting room during that hour makes absolute no difference in where you end up in the queue. The critical point explained in that discussion is that when the sale starts everyone in the waiting room is randomly put into the queue. In other words, it is completely random if you get a slot close enough to the front of the queue that will get you into ticketfly when there are still tickets available.

So there is no need for all the pressure thinking that it is down to seconds, which seems to be a common misconception. Rather, you enter the waiting room anytime during the hour before the sale, then the only thing you can do is sit and wait and hope that you are randomly near enough the front of the queue.

Am I correct about this?

Once you get into ticketfly, then possibly if it is on the edge of tickets being sold out that you want to enter your order quickly.

Really, this is amazing technology. The ticket website and ticketfly accomplishes an amazing task of processing 26,000 tickets in 20 or 30 minutes with probably 2 or 3 times that number in the waiting room. That seems to me amazing a website handling that quantity of data and interactions.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Repair

Post by dragonpilot » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:47 pm

PlayaPatrol wrote:Will call is a 4-8 hour wait in the baking sun. There are 500 People who don't have their paperwork in order. 5 ticket windows are open.
It's a clusterfuck.
Just curious, PlayaPatrol, when's the last time you used Will Call? There was the year of the 8-10 hour wait (2014 or 2015, I think), but I'd heard they beefed up the Box Office with more windows and reduced the number of folks required to do pickups at Will Call. Maybe it's slipped back to the old ways.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

SpringBacon
Burning Since: 2014

Post by SpringBacon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Not very helpful with the Will Call Issue, But at my arrival of 6am on the first Sunday (in 2015) the line up was maybe 10 minutes? Getting back into the gate lineup with our truck was worse than the physical line to pickup tickets.

sckouzzz
Burning Since: 2021

Post by sckouzzz » Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 am

heyyyy, can anyone brag about tickets and show how they look this year? I'm still not sure if I will get one this year :shock: would be awesomeeee

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue May 29, 2018 12:43 pm

Showing tickets probably won't happen until people have them. Posting pictures of them only encourages, (and helps), the counterfeiters. Hope you get a real one.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

yannouparis
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Mudskippers

Post by yannouparis » Thu May 31, 2018 4:07 pm

Ratty wrote:Showing tickets probably won't happen until people have them. Posting pictures of them only encourages, (and helps), the counterfeiters. Hope you get a real one.
Indeed. This kind of message (asking for a picture of the ticket) right when Ticketfly gets a major hack (https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/31/1741 ... fline-hack) is super concerning. (sckouzzz first message... suspicious)

What if they stole all the ticket references and issue counterfeit tickets... I hope the Burning Man org will take measures to avoid any potential consequence to legitimate ticket holders...

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:11 am

Every will call session since 2010 has been bad regardless of time. Something like 20% of attendees wait at will call. They need 20 windows and a strict “have your paperwork together, get you ticket and leave” policy rather then then customer fumbling for ID and paperwork them having a long talk with worker then thanking and hugging them and doing a little song and dance of gratitude.
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”