Fewer people getting tickets?

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Fewer people getting tickets?

Post by trilobyte » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:10 am

It's probably worth pointing this out, since you may see random grumbles both here on the board and elsewhere on social media.

Many (myself included) are noting that within their circles of friends, it seems like fewer people were able to get tickets in the main sale this year than in previous years. That's absolutely correct, and it's not because of some kind of conspiracy or because scalpers got 'em all, it's because of math. Damn you, math!

In a nutshell, the event has not really grown in size over the last few years. Burning Man is at capacity, and the Bureau of Land Management has not increased that cap. At the same time, every year more people hear about Burning Man and the number of people who want to go just keeps getting bigger. In the early days of the event, it was through word-of-mouth and the occasional article that got out into the wild, then eventually sites like flickr and youtube started to exist, and then came social media. More mainstream coverage followed (like being included in the Time Magazine book on Civilization's 100 most important sites), and with advances in smartphones and digital cameras as well as the event itself.... the pictures and the videos kept getting more awesome. Damn you, awesomeness!

In the last few months, Burning Man has even given a talk at the conference of mayors and set up an amazing exhibition at the Smithsonian Institution. I don't know about you, but when I first started participating I never imagined that the event would reach such widespread awareness or acceptance.

Think of it as being like a game of musical chairs, but instead of taking a chair away with every round, more people join the game. You get the idea.

Having said that bit, if you were not successful in your bid to get tickets so far, all hope is not lost. The Secure Ticket Exchange Program (also known as STEP) opens up soon (more info here), and there is also the after-market (find out more about ticket listings on ePlaya here). Historically, I personally have found that those who remain vigilant and determined to go are usually able to find the tickets that they need. I don't mean the people who join the site, make a drive-by ticket post and then never participate outside of the occasional checking back to bump their thread or complain about not getting responses... I mean the people who jump in and make that post, and then get to work planning and participating and figuring out the logistics of how the hell they're going to not just survive, but thrive. They also make an effort to connect with others in their area (many of the regional groups have their own newsletters, sites, FB groups, and ways to keep in touch throughout the year). Stack the deck in your favor, let other people see how awesome and determined you are.

Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Re: Fewer people getting tickets?

Post by Leo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:23 am

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist about 2 weeks before the event. Last year in the Seattle Craigslist ticket section, tickets and vehicle passes started coming up for sale (at face value) days prior to the burn. It's obvious that some scalpers were selling tickets at inflated prices. The face value tickets appeared to be from burners that weren't able to attend at the last minute. A lot of the tickets listed for sale on were the $990 & higher pre-sale tickets.
Best Regards,
Leo

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Leo wrote:Keep an eye on your local Craigslist about 2 weeks before the event. Last year in the Seattle Craigslist ticket section, tickets and vehicle passes started coming up for sale (at face value) days prior to the burn.
It's hard to invest months of planning, work and hundreds of dollars on art and theme camp ideas if you're hoping to luck into a Craigslist ticket two weeks before the event.

I wish we could split the large sound camps and DJs off from the main event to reduce the hoards of Ravers who probably won't bring anything to the table but drugs and EMT statistics.

Maybe Fly Ranch could turn into the Burning Man Rave and let the old schoolers do the arty-Cacophony thing on the old playa

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Unfortunately that stuff has always been an integral part of it. It wouldn’t be BRC without the big oontz.
Too many people found out about it.
Time to do something else.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Unfortunately that stuff has always been an integral part of it. It wouldn’t be BRC without the big oontz.
Too many people found out about it.
Time to do something else.
You're right, it wouldn't be BRC, it would be better. There are hundreds of EDM festivals out there, but when 40% of your population are newbies coming to chase big name DJa, you erode the foundation of what makes BM special. For the past four years, I found something else. Just really wanted to come back for a Burning Man fix. But, that ship has sailed. The days of people getting together in March and coming up with a ridiculously wonderful idea for a theme camp are long gone.

Zuminest
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Zuminest » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:16 pm

"Think of it as being like a game of musical chairs, but instead of taking a chair away with every round, more people join the game. You get the idea."

What a great analogy. :D

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:28 am

Think of it also in cynical terms, as the purge of people selling pre-sale tickets has begun. Be curious to see the results of a quick comparison against the main sale rolls and those selling their pre-sale tix. :D

bdman
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Intergalactic Sasquatch Village

Post by bdman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:25 am

Trilobyte.. i think you are right scalpers got my tickets. I struck out this year even though I did everything right.

I think the number of scammers have increased too. And the first 3 resellers I contacted who advertised on Los Angeles Craigslist, all appear to be scammers who claim to be located in Ontario, Canada, Eugene and Iowa and were ready to transfer Ticketfly Will Call to my name as soon as I sent them the money. :roll:

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:32 am

How did this happen? I suppose not being able to get a ticket might affect your Burn. Putting that airbnb boutique hotel guy on the board really DID NOT HELP with anything but making sure tickets sell out every year with wealthy bucketlisters and festival season people. Oh, but how does that affect my Burn?, said all the culprits and enablers. Not all blame is laid on simple math.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Return to “Tickets Discussion”