VP Order Cancelled?! Rant

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
SpringBacon
Burning Since: 2014

VP Order Cancelled?! Rant

Post by SpringBacon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:41 pm

So frusterated and distraught right now. So long story short, the past two years we have had the chance to get tickets, but not a VP, which means we couldnt make it both years (we trailer down from Canada). So this year, all prepped for the Mainsale, I read the rules over, and over, and over. It only specifies that in the PRESALE and with the 1200$ tickets you cant get just a VP. Several of us asked on here in the ticket forum, and Trilobyte confirmed, and I quote "@Jackass - BvB is right, only the presale has an event ticket requirement on the order."
Tickets sell out, but I have the chance to buy a VP. Done. Excited, atleast our truck is going to BurningMan. One week rolls around, I get confirmations from Burningman and Ticketfly. So, since we have a VP, we purchase ONLY 2 1200$ tickets, because who needs another VP right? Wrong. I get home from work today to an email that my order for a VP has been cancelled!!! I am beyond pissed right now. Fired off an email, but who knows how long they will take to get back to me. What am I going to do with two 1200$ tickets and no way in?!

Sorry for my rant, but this gets more and more painful every year.

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Re: VP Order Cancelled?! Rant

Post by 666isMONEY » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:58 pm

IMHO, the procedure for VPs is wrong. At the main sale I got into Ticketfly after a half hour and tried to get ticket and VP but gave up after a few tries and eventually got a ticket but not VP.

The procedure should allow you to obtain a VP after securing a ticket or it should be added on unless less you opt out.

Good luck getting a VP, there’s plenty of them on ticket-scalping sites for double the price!

SpringBacon

Post by SpringBacon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Thanks for the luck, since I seem to have none. I understand that there are VP's out there, but we either run the risk of over-paying for a cancelled VP since it was being scalped, or trying to get rid of two $1200 tickets, which hit us for $3400 in CAD. :x

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:10 pm

I’m not exactly sure how the ticket-scalping sites work. (If they use the Ticketfly transfer tool.) I ranted about this on another post and one of the mods said VPs come up near the Burn but another problem is how are you going to get it? Who wants to go through will-call?!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:49 pm

I’d be beyond livid. I tend to get ranty when upset like this too so don’t blame me put one bit. I have faith that this will work out for both of you.

Love
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Can't you cancel the order for the $1200 tickets (site states "no refund" but hey they did it already)

Then re-order with VP.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

SpringBacon

Post by SpringBacon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:09 pm

With all the non-sensicality, I worry that if we tried that (cancelling and reordering) we would somehow end up losing out on tickets all together. With the "one order per CC" and "If your account has already bought, you cant again" I have no idea what sort of grey-area we would fall into.

Kishri
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Kishri » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Yep, same here. I was only given the chance to buy a VP, so I did. I now get this notice that my order is cancelled and that it specifically says in section 19 I violated the ToS by purchasing the VP. Yet, I did check that and it only refers to the $1200 sale, and even Trilo said it was OK after Jackass brought it up.

To be fair, I am being offered a refund. But, why oh why, if you can't buy a VP without tickets THEN WHY ALLOW THEM TO BE BOUGHT SEPARATELY IN THE SAME SALE? Seriously, WTF? Especially since one (VP) is needed to enter the event, and it is often EXPECTED that a person will have to get tickets from a different sale and even source. This smacks of a bait & switch style tactic. Now, I'll have to find some tickets and THEN find another VP, when I thought I had, at least, the VP part dealt with.

Unbelievable bullshit, pure and simple.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2022
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:34 am

I understand your frustration, but don't fret. There will be tons of these popping up for sale as the event approaches. Make all of your plans as normal and pay attention to the for sale board here. People often buy extra VP's "just in case" and then as plans materialize, they sell what they don't need. I saw many sell for below face value last year. I also seem to recall that the OMG sale last year allowed for VP's to be purchased... could be wrong on that though. You and your vehicle will have a great time at the burn this year. Plan on it.

SpringBacon

Post by SpringBacon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:09 am

Still waiting to hear back from Ticket Support. I'm sorry to hear that other people are in the same boat. This is such a shit-show sometimes. Im not even sure if we could "add" a VP to our $1200 ticket order without getting in crap either. :(

remi

Post by remi » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:20 am

That sucks to hear. I noticed last year in the last month or two before the event there were TONES of vp's available in the Alberta local community. Usually they're from theme camps that got overzealous and purchased all the DST and vp's they were offered before event knowing who they're going to (by using CC's that belong to friends and parents instead of the ticket user.) I wouldn't panic.. just wait a bit, then post in your local communities social media pages and I'm sure a few spares will be around.

I will keep an ear open too and if I see something i'll PM you.

Good luck.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

SpringBacon

Post by SpringBacon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:23 am

Remi, you are the bomb. We are near Vancouver, but even willing to drive to Alberta for a face value VP (if they proceed with cancelling mine). Ill have to see if there are any local facebook BM groups near me. Thank you.

SpringBacon

Post by SpringBacon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Last edited by SpringBacon on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpringBacon

Post by SpringBacon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Got a big "F- You" back with my email from Ticket Support. They literally told me to buy MORE tickets through STEP and OMG, so I can get a Vehicle Pass. I am beyond livid. At this point ALL I WANT is a "Im sorry." From anyone, for the miscommunications. This is horrendous.

Kishri
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Kishri » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:42 pm

The really stupid thing is I can buy a VP from an individual without buying a ticket and the VP will be good, but I can't buy a VP from the Borg without a ticket-- or, rather, you can, but then they will cancel it.

I can see the "ticket required to purchase a VP" requirement on the open for months $1200 sale, but for the restricted time sales, like the main sale, it makes no sense.

Even more ridiculous, I do believe one can buy a VP by itself during the OMG sale. I had a friend do this last year. Just like me, tried to get a ticket and none were available but a VP was. He bought the VP via the OMG sale, and then got a ticket from a friend. Yet, one can't do this during the main sale? O.o

Well, at least they are saying I'll be refunded in about a week. We'll see.

OGDanimal
Burning Since: 2018

Post by OGDanimal » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:38 pm

Man WTF! I also was not able to get a ticket in the main sale but was able to buy a VP. Then I did buy a $1200 ticket. Now I got an email that my VP purchase is julk and being refunded? Wtf? I DO have a ticket! Why is this happening!!!!

PLEASE help!!!
There is no "try" there is only engage and do. Your actions and attempts define who you are, not the outcome.

"I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, and make it a habit if it is fun" ButtButt Galloolie

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:21 am

I don't know if ticketing can help you out, but maybe you can contact them about this.

BMOrg really should get their shit together to prevent these kinds of SNAFUs. Maybe TicketFly's system is so inflexible that they can't restrict purchases of dependent items (e.g. allowing VP sales only if tickets were selected for purchase). At the very least the purchase page should not have appeared if there were no more main sale tickets available.

For an organization managing a sale of around $13 Million worth of tickets to be sold in under an hour, it's surprising how they repeatedly allow these kinds of problems to slip through.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:30 am

BBadger wrote:I don't know if ticketing can help you out, but maybe you can contact them about this.

BMOrg really should get their shit together to prevent these kinds of SNAFUs. Maybe TicketFly's system is so inflexible that they can't restrict purchases of dependent items (e.g. allowing VP sales only if tickets were selected for purchase). At the very least the purchase page should not have appeared if there were no more main sale tickets available.

For an organization managing a sale of around $13 Million worth of tickets to be sold in under an hour, it's surprising how they repeatedly allow these kinds of problems to slip through.
If there's one thing that is certain, beyond death and taxes, it's that the BOrg will never, ever get their shit together regarding ticketing. :mrgreen:

nocturnal_steve
Burning Since: 1997

Post by nocturnal_steve » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Relax, there will be plenty of legitimate VP's for sale at face value about three weeks before the event here on Eplaya, Craigslist etc.

Practically everyone who gets a pair of tickets in the main sale opts for the VP as well, the cost is relatively
small compared to ticket prices. Many wind up car or RV sharing etc etc

I am SO certain of this that if you still don't have a VP a week before the event look me up,
I will gift you mine ! I was going to tunnel under and in this year anyway....
Stay hydrated my friend.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”