Almost no $425 tix posted- hmm, what are the odds?

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
AddamsonFlint
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: The Flint Fix-It Fort

Almost no $425 tix posted- hmm, what are the odds?

Post by AddamsonFlint » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 am

To be clear, this isn't is a bitter post- I've got my tickets, and may have to sell a few, so I thought I'd check out this section.

But I look at the "wanting to buy" posts, many simply asking for reasonably priced tickets. And then I go over to the "have tickets to sell page" and hmmm, how interesting. Eeeeevery posting just happens to have some form of "specialty ticket" or at least worded that way. Pre-sale, VIP, two full pages of tickets, not one open post for $425 tickets.

I forget the numbers breakdown for this year, but I think it was something like 30k for the Main Sale. Pre-sale was small, VIP is small, the OMG sale is small. The vast majority % was the Main Sale. And yet, 99.9% of all the re-sale posts are high-priced specialty tickets,

Hmmm, what are the odds...

I'd crunch the probability math if I had the time. But I think the glaring confliction in basic proportion speaks for itself.

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Re: Almost no $425 tix posted- hmm, what are the odds?

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:24 am

Welcome to the post sell-out Burn!
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:08 am

People with enough cash flow hit both the presales and the main sale, then try to unload the pricey tickets later. This is a complete and total asshole move. Even people I know and love do this, and I still think it is an asshole move. The cheaper tickets are generally disseminated through the STEP program, or are sold in local circles. We don't get to see how many move that way, but I'd bet that's a substantial number. DGS tickets are supposed to move back into the theme camp itself, so few of those would show up here. So I think there's more to the equation that the bare bones you're looking at.

Are there some postings on eplaya which are scams? Most assuredly, and we try to head them off, but we cannot see them all, we aren't Ticketing. We need people to read the Seekers and Sellers, the Regarding Scammers information, and to try not to be taken in by playa-speak. That's why we encourage participation on the board, to become a known person, one who would be more likely to be trusted. Still could be a scammer, but if you're "an eplayan" (or a Redditor if that's your community), someone we meet in person once a year, you're more likely to be on the receiving end of trust. When someone here has a spare ticket, do you think we go looking through the Wanteds? No, we're probably friends on FB, and know who is looking that way. Maybe here, maybe not, but some of us have ties going back years, decades even. You won't see our main sale tickets up for grabs, if we have them at all. Those tickets never make the eplaya Offered forum.

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:06 am

Hey, that is many different angles and perspectives that paint a much better picture of understanding- I feel better now lol, and thank you for that!

While the sheer numbers of the main sale vis a vis the nothingburger of any posts for them here, certainly piqued my interest, the pragmatism you explained of how it usually plays out, goes a long way in explaining that.

It's only my first year and I've already made a lot of new burner FB friends I'm going to meet out on the playa in a few weeks. I can only imagine that compounded by decades of veteran'ness :).

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:54 pm

AntiM wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:08 am
People with enough cash flow hit both the presales and the main sale, then try to unload the pricey tickets later. This is a complete and total asshole move. Even people I know and love do this, and I still think it is an asshole move. The cheaper tickets are generally disseminated through the STEP program, or are sold in local circles. We don't get to see how many move that way, but I'd bet that's a substantial number. DGS tickets are supposed to move back into the theme camp itself, so few of those would show up here. So I think there's more to the equation that the bare bones you're looking at.

Are there some postings on eplaya which are scams? Most assuredly, and we try to head them off, but we cannot see them all, we aren't Ticketing. We need people to read the Seekers and Sellers, the Regarding Scammers information, and to try not to be taken in by playa-speak. That's why we encourage participation on the board, to become a known person, one who would be more likely to be trusted. Still could be a scammer, but if you're "an eplayan" (or a Redditor if that's your community), someone we meet in person once a year, you're more likely to be on the receiving end of trust. When someone here has a spare ticket, do you think we go looking through the Wanteds? No, we're probably friends on FB, and know who is looking that way. Maybe here, maybe not, but some of us have ties going back years, decades even. You won't see our main sale tickets up for grabs, if we have them at all. Those tickets never make the eplaya Offered forum.
I mean honestly it should be a simple matter to make presale purchasers ineligible for the later sales. I would be pretty happy for the specialty pre-sales to be non-transferable. That way when someone pays to jump the line, they will be either using that ticket or eating it, not buying it as insurance in case they miss on the main sale and scalping it later above face with the "justification" that it is a pre sale ticket so they paid over face value for it.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:56 pm

Names on the pre-sales, I like that. A lot.

wraith

Post by wraith » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:05 pm

AntiM wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:56 pm
Names on the pre-sales, I like that. A lot.
Seems fair to me. Doesn't create a huge hassle since there's not that many presale tickets to begin with, but it definitely prevents them from being misused. One would think that most of the pre-sale ticket buyers are intended to be people invested in being at that thing in the desert anyway, so I can't imagine them being too put out by needing to put their name (or the name of the person they're gifting the ticket to) down as committed to going.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:14 pm

I was on board with the concept that "presale ticket extra cost is expended once you pay to ensure you have a ticket, after that it's the same as a regular ticket and should be resold for the same as a regular ticket."

I'm not so sure anymore. Right now, regular priced tickets are scarce, but the expensive tickets are still out there looking for buyers. It appears that if you really want a ticket and can afford a premium price, that premium still retains a value.

Still grouchy about the entire concept of course, but not so adamant that presale tickets should not be resold for what was paid.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:27 pm

I have a ticket but I have friends of course looking that were not able to get a DGS code, missed out in the main sale and OMG sale. They are not able to afford the presales. I am finding fewer $425 tickets overall - all the people reselling have keyed in on the fact that you don't really know if it was a presale because there is no distinguishing factor. All tickets say $425.

I think in general there is more demand this year than past, maybe LH passing has something to do with it. Maybe not, too. Could be it's just that so many people want to go, or perhaps it's that people are feeding the scalpers and the average aftermarket price has gone up. The listings on ebay make me ill. And there are a LOT. With bids.

I know its easy for someone with a ticket to say, don't pay more than face, but if people will pay more - ticket sellers will charge more.
In dust we trust.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:32 pm

Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Traveller in Time wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:32 pm
425 or 990?
OMG. I am waaaaay behind the times!!! I didn't know they changed it. mea culpa.
In dust we trust.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:41 am

maladroit wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:14 pm
I was on board with the concept that "presale ticket extra cost is expended once you pay to ensure you have a ticket, after that it's the same as a regular ticket and should be resold for the same as a regular ticket."

I'm not so sure anymore. Right now, regular priced tickets are scarce, but the expensive tickets are still out there looking for buyers. It appears that if you really want a ticket and can afford a premium price, that premium still retains a value.
I think they should just make it where there are no "presale tickets" but rather you purchase presale access to buy tickets at main sale prices.

Then later after the main sale, the BMORG can sell actual premium-priced tickets at $1200 or whatever it is. It'd be like those special Leonardo DiCaprio or whatever they were special tickets a couple years ago. Those tickets can be "face valued" at that $1200 for people to resell if they wish. That way, these premium-priced tickets are still available for people who are that desperate to purchase them (even directly from BMORG), but the presale tickets can't be used by assholes to game the system. The BMORG also continues to makes its pound of flesh.

I don't really have anything against people ponying up extra money for premium-priced tickets if they want them that badly, but I do have something against people abusing the presale to game the system. With that taken care of, I don't care if they participate in the main sale either.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

wraith

Post by wraith » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:28 pm

I think we're on the same page BBadger. I give precisely zero fucks if someone wants to pay extra for a guaranteed shot at a ticket, but if they do so then pick up a main sale ticket and look to scalp the higher priced on I get tetchy.

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 am

Hey everyone,

After quite a full inbox this week lol, I think I need to add an update reply to this thread.

I did have tickets I still needed to sell when I made the post. But out of PLUR, I started with hometown love and my Columbus Burners FB group. And yeah...they were gone pretty much instantly. And no...no one needs to ask what I sold them for. It shouldn't even be a question- it should be face value always.

I don't know if PLUR is a thing in the burner community, but in the old skool warehouse rave days of Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Detroit, Peace Love Unity Respect was mandatory at the parties I threw ;)

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:13 am

Our Ten Principles translate into PLUR for the most part. But we're snarkier because we're jaded old burners. Actually, the Cacophony roots explain a lot of the snark,misdirection, and off kilter humor. There's some overlap, but not 100%. The Venn diagram fluctuates burner to burner, camp to camp, event to event. We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:21 am

AntiM wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:13 am
....... We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright.
Perfectly said AntiM! Mind if I steal that sig?
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:42 am

Have at it.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”