StubHub at face value?

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
tangerinetangerine
Burning Since: 2018

StubHub at face value?

Post by tangerinetangerine » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:58 am

Hello! I'm wondering if a ticket at face value would be ok? I know there's lots of advice about not buying from scalpers, but if it's face value.... Does stub hub have enough buyer protection?

Thanks!

stcynik
Burning Since: 2003

Re: StubHub at face value?

Post by stcynik » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:42 pm

What is face value? Are you assuming its a $1200 presale with the taxes, fees, and VP included? Stubhub very shrewdly does not advertise the actual face value of the ticket sold, so you could be buying a $425 one that they've marked up to the ceiling of what a ticket *could* reasonably cost and still be considered face value. It's a total fraud and in no way should somebody enable this obvious grift or be under illusions what it is. In fact, Stubhub (owned by eBay!) sets up an outpost at a hotel near the event to try and legitimize what is still essentially a distributed scalping outfit, regardless of what claims they have towards "buyer protection".

I'm incredibly dismayed that with less than a week to go for an event with the majority of the 75,000 tickets in the $425 bracket, there are none offered for sale nor have there been in quite awhile. This says a lot about how much the secondary market preys on these for profit and that pre-sales have been exploited as a way for hedging bets against the main sale, exposing just how much more work remains for BMorg to reign this in. The rampant Craigslist scams going on alone should be evidence that drastic changes are needed to the ticketing and distribution system, not to mention the shit show the main sales and cueing systems are that created this dynamic in the first place. And having for example no way to verify a physical real from counterfeit one other than a voided list or a STEP-like program that functions all the way up until the event, is downright absurd. Quite honestly this is putting an undue burden on potential attendees especially virgins and those without an established camp...which should almost now become the 11th Principal: De-emphasis the need for commodified trinkets like physical tickets, and instead hand them out once actually reaching the gate.

Boardshorts
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Boardshorts » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:08 pm

I have my tickets from main sale but was looking on Stub Hub just to see what they are selling for they also are selling kids tickets on there for $171 and those are free I thought. The resale prices are insane.

Im excited for my first burn and ready to meet some awesome people..

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Boardshorts wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:08 pm
.... The resale prices are insane. ....
Please follow the Instructions.
The email adresses for reporting are provided in the instructions.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Return to “Tickets Discussion”