Out of control scams.

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
1durphul

Out of control scams.

Post by 1durphul » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:46 pm

A lot of the discussion boards I’m on regarding Burning Man are filled with people who were scammed buying canceled or otherwise unavailable tickets.

It seems to me like the Borg should have a year where they just have a blanket no transfers rule. If you buy a ticket you must go or lose the money you spent. Require ID That matches the name assigned to the ticket or no entry.

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Out of control scams.

Post by Rice » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:39 pm

I haven't seen that many people who were scammed. Certainly less than 100 people. So, with 70,000 tickets that's less than 0.14% of all possible tickets that were scams. Not exactly out of control.

YMMV
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Everyone says this every year. The amount of scams is actually rather small, but the opportunity is ripe as people become desperate. There's a reason to use forms of payment with protection, to be wary as fuck, and ask for references if they claim to be long time burners. Buying second party tickets is a gamble, which is why most ticket transfers happen within communities. Hard for newbies to break in. That's why hanging out on eplaya the rest of the year makes sense, and getting involved in regional burns.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for bucket listers, for the party people who consume rather than contribute, and the looky loos who fall for scams. We may welcome the stranger, but the welcome is a little warmer for those who have been working on going for a whole year and have wormed their way into our jaded bitter hearts.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Y'all responded so much more politely than what I stopped myself from posting. Basically: Burning Man isn't your momma nor your nanny; if someone can't be bothered to follow basic safety rules in buying 3rd party tickets that for an event that is (a) sold out and (b) an extremely hot commodity... yeah. Let's just say that I don't see why we should change the rules for everyone else because an extreme minority aren't careful with their money.

On the same note: this is now and forever a sold out event, our cap hasn't been raised since 2011 (or was it 12?), the line of people wanting to get the same amount of tickets keeps growing. Nothing is going to change that.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:45 pm

You are an experienced ePlayan. Read the census detailed report. From that you will find many tickets are exchanged person to person safely by people who know one another.

That is why the ticket system is as it is.

The angst of people who did not get tickets is real, and ongoing. The eBay/Stubhub etc. markets have a microscopic fraction of real tickets. Ignore and recalibrate.

If you are buying on the secondary market set your own hard boundaries, not any ticket at any price. Mine boundaries are friends of friends and/or physical ticket in person. Arrange your life to avoid getting into an any ticket at any price situation. Do not fly from overseas without an advance ticket for example.

Walk away from scams, there is always next year or regionals. And next year there will be many more scams.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:28 am

1durphul wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:46 pm
It seems to me like the Borg should have a year where they just have a blanket no transfers rule. If you buy a ticket you must go or lose the money you spent. Require ID That matches the name assigned to the ticket or no entry.
Even if that were implemented, I think we'd still see a lot of people scammed because they still desperately purchased a fake ticket without following proper procedures.

Quite frankly, I'd like to see the BMORG become a whole lot less invested in facilitating people making it to the burn. They should sell tickets, manage whatever infrastructure and art coordination, etc. there is, but beyond that you're on your own.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:58 am

BBadger wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:28 am
1durphul wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:46 pm
Even if that were implemented, I think we'd still see a lot of people scammed because they still desperately purchased a fake ticket without following proper procedures.

Quite frankly, I'd like to see the BMORG become a whole lot less invested in facilitating people making it to the burn. They should sell tickets, manage whatever infrastructure and art coordination, etc. there is, but beyond that you're on your own.
Honestly my only real complaint with BMORG handling of the event is that they don't hire more people to handle gate during peak periods (I understand it is all volunteer now, and yes I could volunteer and will consider doing so). Just one or two additional lanes being open would probably speed up entry considerably due to fluid dynamics and how lines work. For me that's really just a quibble as the entry line, while frustrating, is just a speed bump on an 8 day trip.

I do think there is merit though in making tickets non-transferable as an experiment. Maybe even just sell a $10 cheaper batch of tickets that are non-transferable, and then gather data at the gate to find if that batch vs. the general tickets have a lower fraud rate. For me it's more of a curiosity, a "what would would happen if..." scenario.

Maybe I'll get lucky and somebody from the BMORG will happen across this thread and consider the idea. I know that eplaya is *NOT* a way to communicate with the BMORG, but I don't particularly want to offer Feedback on years I don't attend the event.

Ok, now I'm sad because I just reminded myself I'm sitting at my desk at work listening to BMIR rather than on the playa listening to BMIR. Now I'm off to go look at the volunteer form... fomo!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:06 am

Yeah sure... and further into history slips the event that was Burning Man.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ever
Burning Since: 2003

Post by Ever » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Coworker managed to land two sets of two tickets off of Craiglist.

One was a really kind gal. The other was a couple. He literally sat and ate pizza with the couple.

All four were reported lost/stolen. This was after he scanned the QR code of all four. This was discovered by he and his three friends while at the gates.

The BORG offered them replacement tickets for $1k.

Seems it's 100% never worth buying hard-copy tickets (eg: non will-call transfer) unless from trusted friends.

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Maybe I'll get lucky and somebody from the BMORG will happen across this thread and consider the idea. I know that eplaya is *NOT* a way to communicate with the BMORG, but I don't particularly want to offer Feedback on years I don't attend the event.

One good way to provide input and make your voice heard is to take the Black Rock City Census. Sure, it's about numbers, statistics and demographics but this year there's a concerted effort to solicit input from attendees about what worked, what didn't praises, whines and gripes. I highly recommend folks to provide feedback.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Post by Zubeneschamali » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:27 pm

Volunteer for a ticket. There are many camps and organizations that offer a ticket (for purchase) if you work.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Zubeneschamali wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:27 pm
Volunteer for a ticket. There are many camps and organizations that offer a ticket (for purchase) if you work.
The problem is getting a toe in the door to volunteer in the first place. You volunteer for next year's ticket not the current year. That's the trick. Many departments won't take a first timer, they want at least sophomore burners. Not every burgin is situated to find that niche early on. It takes time, awareness, connections, and even some outright luck. Same with fire conclaves, ours begins in February and is a huge time commitment from day one to get accepted and be eligible for performer tickets, IF the entire troupe's performance is good enough. A gamble.

I'm volunteering right this moment for next year. In bed, with no underwear on.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”