Thought I was going to skip a year, but...

Looking for tickets/vehicle passes? Post about it here.
zerobelow
Burning Since: 2010

Thought I was going to skip a year, but...

Post by zerobelow » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:29 am

Howdy,

I've been out to the playa every year since 2010. I thought I was going to take the year off, but it's shaping up like I should go this year, so I'm looking around for a ticket and one vehicle pass, locally to the Bay area, at face value.

About me:
I first experienced the playa in 2008 -- I was invited out to Black Rock Desert in July 2008 to help with some computer testing. After that first week out there, I was hooked. Also, I had seen a bunch of people with cool camper vans, and in 2009, I built my own van, but didn't make it out to the burn (but I did pass through the playa on my way up to Alaska that year).

My first burn was in 2010 -- I had helped a friend move to Canada, and then road tripped around for a few weeks. On my way back to the Bay area, I decided to head out to the playa. It was the last year where you could buy tickets at the gate. I was totally solo, and only prepared in the sense that I had all the food and camping gear I'd need. I am still in touch with the ragtag bunch of folks I camped near that year.

In 2011, I returned, but with a group of about 12 people, and we set up our own camp. We spent weeks getting our stuff prepped and then spent the whole first day constructing our homemade geodesic dome. It was lots of work, but it was an amazing week.

Over the next several years, the camp grew and shrunk, 5-15 people. My friends, coworkers, parents, uncles, cousins, siblings, and random souls joined us. In 2015, I got married out in the other world -- my wedding was carnival themed, so all the wedding decorations had a second life on the playa with the carnival of mirrors theme (and a third life at an elementary school afterward).

Anyways, this year, the camp didn't come together; people moved away, got busy, fell out, etc, and I decided to take a break for the year. But, as I see people getting ready, I'm starting to have second thoughts. It's also looking like the next few years won't be an option, so if possible, I'm thinking to get another trip out while I can.

This year, I plan to go as I did my first year -- no camp, no plans, no contacts, etc. A chance to focus on myself and my own experiences at the playa.

Many of the years, I've had one or 2 extra tickets among the camp, and I always sold them off at face value (and gave 2 away for free). I'm hoping some magic will help me find ticket+vehicle pass this year. Looking forward to making this happen. I need to replenish that layer of dust on my van and on my soul.

zerobelow
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Thought I was going to skip a year, but...

Post by zerobelow » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi folks, still interested in a ticket. Let me know if someone has had to cancel out at the last minute!

Return to “Tickets/Passes Wanted”