Night at the climb in

2018 Art Theme: I, Robot
A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Night at the climb in

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:49 pm

This is the piece that makes me wish I went the most this year.

All the expensive, techy over engineered shit with a million addressable LED’s and lasers is cool but a dangerous AF stack of skewered cars is fucking art.

Did any eplayans climb it before it was closed down? Plz share stories or pics and help me live vicariously.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Night at the climb in

Post by Ratty » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:18 pm

I didn't. I got there a week early on Monday. On Tuesday at my little job they were saying it was closed. I don't know if that was temporary or it stayed closed.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:12 am

My friend Jeff and I KNEW it wouldn't last long, so he climbed it on Monday. To the top. Sketchy to say the least. The main reason I didn't do it was that I was sure someone else falling would knock me off. Shit, it was crazy, the wheels weren't even locked, they turned when you used them for foot-holds. Voted #1 in my book. "Break a leg, Dude!".....I will post some photos soon.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:53 am

I was thrilled to see something very dangerous. I went the night it opened (sunday?) and there were people all over it. Saw a guy get on the end of a car jumping up and down, freaking out the others on the car. Saw a guy go hand over hand down one of the cables with lights. After staring at it for 20 minutes I realized I was just waiting for some one to fall off......
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 am

I sat and watched for a while, vowed to come back and climb it w/o a hat on and with shoes or boots, not the flip-flops I had on. Heard a day or two later that it got shut down, which I was predicting would take place at some point. From what I heard people got trapped in a car when the one above it shifted or some such tale, cars had to be cut in order to extract the victims... Is this playa lore? Does anyone have first-hand info on what actually took place at this piece that got it shut down??

P.S. It was bad-ass
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:46 pm

As I understand it, some folks tried to shut it down before the event even opened. There was a lot of arguing and gnashing-of-the-claws, some folks tried to get it taken down early, and eventually it took 20ish high-up people in various departments threatening to handcuff themselves to the art project to get it to even open up.

As I continue to understand it, "they" were waiting for the first thing to happen to shut it down. What it was, was a single gent falling off of it from pretty high up. He slipped and fell and broke an important bone or two.

And thus, it was shut down, before the artists got to really do the cool flame effects or anything. Rumor: All of the vehicles and the trailer were all Larry's, and this was somewhat of a tribute to him. I don't think that's true, but...

Point being, I wish I showed up early enough to try climbing that thing. Delightfully stupid. Heartbreaking that it got shut down, but... I guess this is Burning Man 4.0, Insurance and Liability Man.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:07 am

We saw it on Saturday or Sunday night during pre-event build, and our two bravest, fittest, dumbest straight boys climbed it. They came down pretty quickly with reports of doors opening and tires spinning. But damn, that piece was epic. The closest to old BM I’ve seen in few years.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:55 am

Can’t remember which day but a drone video crew launched their drone from the crows nest and grabbed some good footage of the climb-in.

Was on the live stream that day.

Pretty darn slick seeing it from all angles then getting the perspective of the guy catching the drone from mid air up on that high perch.

Return to “Art Theme”