Biggest MOOP in the history of Burning Man

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about your 2018 playa projects here.
Canoe

Re: Biggest MOOP in the history of Burning Man

Post by Canoe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Token wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 am
What we really need is a second 747 identical to the one already there so they can join them ass-end to ballast the thing and make the worlds biggest teeter-totter. Load it up, get the rave going, retract both nose wheels half way. Let the party rage!Dramamine for everyone!!!
That sounds like it could pop wheelies...
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:28 pm

You know, all this discussion about the plane is what makes it great art.
Thanks, all of you, for helping make the plane one of the greatest Burning Man art pieces ever.

Your work here giving it so much attention and interest helps immensely!

The plane has sparked more controversy and discussion than any other piece out there.

Chew on that.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Nah, discussion doesn’t make it “great art”. It’s a controversial subject for sure but that doesn’t make it “great art”. Not in my opinion. It turned out to be this years “thing”. I’m of the “meh” crowd, didn’t hate it. I don’t consider it art but others do so ok.

There was without a doubt a fuck up on exodus. It will be somewhat interesting to see what the future has in store for it, etc...

:coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:28 pm
You know, all this discussion about the plane is what makes it great art. ...
nah
That might be if the discussion was about 'what it means' or some such, instead of 'what does the cluster-fuck getting it removed from the playa mean'.

That it's beautiful goes right over my head, but it is a plane.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:46 am

Yeah, I'm kind of in "meh" territory myself. While I recognize that it was a major feat bringing something like that to the playa (and eventually getting it off it), as an art car or exhibit it's just a big -- really big -- hacked up amputated plane. I kind of want to see something more, or evolving.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:17 am

Like a giant, revolving, wild boar. I loved that piece. It was beautiful and dangerous.

Was the stack of cars this year great art? Yes. No. I don't know. I loved it. I wish it wasn't closed off. It would have been fun to watch the climbers.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 am

Token wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 am
What we really need is a second 747 identical to the one already there so they can join them ass-end to ballast the thing and make the worlds biggest teeter-totter.
Join three of them with a giant bearing in the middle and make the world's largest fidget spinner.

My imagination is bigger (and longer)

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Since the wings have been chopped off, they should stand the 747 on end to make it look like a rocket or space shuttle.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:36 am

BBadger wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:25 pm
Since the wings have been chopped off, they should stand the 747 on end to make it look like a rocket or space shuttle.
this is why you are a "premier Burner"....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Gotta make the "Tsar" Mutant Vehicle: a mutant vehicle so huge and unreasonable as to be unfunctional. Some may say it has already been made.

Didn't they transport the Space Shuttle on one of those 747s? We could strap one of those on top too! Or maybe the 747 on top of a giant Space Shuttle just to change that shit up.

Bigger and more outrageous imagination.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:37 pm

You’re all proving my point. You’re arguing over whether it’s art or not, and what else to do to expand on it, etc.
One of the biggest complaints about it was the lines to get in it.
I’d say a damn lot of people thought it was cool, not many others had that problem.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:37 pm
You’re all proving my point.
Not even close.
Captain Goddammit wrote:
You’re arguing over whether it’s art or not, and what else to do to expand on it, etc.
More like, what can possibly be done with it.
Captain Goddammit wrote:
One of the biggest complaints about it was the lines to get in it.
No shit sherlock. With lines to get into BRC, out of BRC, queue for ice, I'm sure the measure of things is how many virgins are willing to wait in line even more. Perhaps if they could install it within the city, there could be a queue on one block that leads to a queue on the next block, etc, keeping them moving from queue to queue in a circle around the 747's block. Perhaps there could be a Saturday morning special event that gets the sheep moving in queues counter-rotating around the block.
The only thing I've ever got in line for in BRC is a drink at Centre Camp in 2010, and once again in 2012.
With so many things to see and do in BRC, the last thing I'm going to do is spend my Burn time in BRC waiting in line.

But, an elevated view of BRC is cool...
... but not art.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Most of the stuff at Burning Man is what happens when the preschool macaroni artist grew up and bought a welder. It's not a very high bar and nobody really wants to raise it, because fun art is better than serious art.

The bars for inclusivity, self-reliance, not being a burden on the community, not selling the community as an experience, and leaving the social media marketer bullshit at home, those bars are a lot higher.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:57 am

Lines to get in are a very accurate measure of popularity.

All this anti-burner-project propaganda coming from burners is amusing. It’s pretty much “performance art” in itself. It’s like the “Save the Man” and “BRC Underground Railroad” stuff.
Last edited by Captain Goddammit on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:06 am

Boop
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:36 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:57 am
... All this anti-burner-project propaganda coming from burners is amusing. ...
Is it anti-burner? Is it propaganda? Is it amusing?
Or is it anti-screwups, that can screw it up for so many other Burner projects, built with Burner blood, sweat & tears?

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:58 am

Propaganda? Nah, just opinions, everybodies got one.

Anti-burner? that’s a big stretch.

Amusing? Totally

These are just my opinions...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:44 am

maladroit wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 pm
Most of the stuff at Burning Man is what happens when the preschool macaroni artist grew up and bought a welder. .....
John Cale (the only original Velvet Underground lineup still alive) just said, in reference to a travelling exhibit of VU's history)

"...The portraits on the wall are portraits of a kind of a cultural revolution, where all these people that weren't artists were saying that were now artists -- and there's nothing you could say about it."

And here we are on eplaya, saying (in our ever so important opinion) what is art, or, what art isn't.

Reminds me of a story, supposedly true...

A woman of means bought an abstract painting when that style was the hot American art product (galleries, collectors, museums defining the pieces as "great art") and installed it "over the couch" in her home.

Her husband hated it. "Any kid could paint that"...... Over the years, he would spend hours staring at it, thinking "What the hell is that mess? Is it supposed to represent something? My hard earned money paid for that piece of crap. I hate it with all my being."

At every party the couple hosted at their home, the husband would let everyone know his feelings about the painting. He would even bring in delivery guys and give his speech.

Then one day while looking at it, hating it as he had for a decade, he saw that it was indeed a representation of a form. He traced the form with his finger, and sure enough, his eyes weren't deceiving him.

He never talked about the painting or even looked at it from that point on.

The John Cale quote is from today's NYT
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/arts ... -cale.html

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:59 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:57 am
Lines to get in are a very accurate measure of popularity.
Actually the lines to get in are more an accurate measure of the impedance of getting on and off of the 747.

Closed for VIP events, but with a line of saps waiting to get in even though the won't be allowed to doesn't sound so cool to me...
A single stairway leading in and out for possibly hundreds of people sounds more like catastrophe waiting to rear it's ugly head. What if a fire breaks out on the plane, is everyone going to start jumping off of the wing stubs, or jumping out of the cut out where the hump used to be?

They say a good captain goes down with his ship...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Inflatable slides ?

Skirt of inflatable slides all around the craft.

When "on the move" using the skirt as hover craft.

Fire safety and mobility in one move.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:46 pm

They actually closed the plane to the public for private events?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:22 pm

From what friends who were there told me, they did have periods where they had a private party or parties for donors. There were also capacity issues as it attracted a lot of people.

A problem was probably that the plane was not "open" all the time, so there were only certain times that people could go visit it and check it out. I'd have thought they'd have enough people to keep it open all the time even if just parked. I know that it's technically a mutant vehicle, but it's also more like an art installation on wheels piece given the scale, cost, and resources, and also managed by a camp of a couple hundred or so. Then again, probably the majority of those people just paid dues and weren't actually involved in the camp's main attraction.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:52 am

BBadger, I'm with you. Why wouldn't it be open all the time? Seems silly to have limited hours after all the work to get it there.
I don't assume this statement to be true.
Then again, probably the majority of those people just paid dues and weren't actually involved in the camp's main attraction.
Guessing by the scope of this project I would say just the opposite. It took a huge crew to get it there and set it up. But, It's not so easy to find volunteers to fill shifts during burn week.

Placement shouldn't have given it an Esplanade address. Maybe 10 and J street would have been appropriate. Esplanade is a interactive community. They could have easily tootled out to the playa from 10th street.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:24 am

New for 2019!

747 Guardians!

Be one of the cool kids with a clip-board and radio!

Tired of shushing folks at the temple? Curating the man base not your thing?

Become a Jet Guardian today!

Bullhorns welcome, heckling encouraged!

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:10 am

BBadger wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:22 pm
From what friends who were there told me, they did have periods where they had a private party or parties for donors. There were also capacity issues as it attracted a lot of people.
You don't even need to rely on what friends said. Ken Feldman, the project lead, posted publicly the times that they were open to the public that week. In that post, he specified three separate nights they they were closed to the public and only allowed camp, performers, and friends of performers.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:57 pm

Stayed open and Uncurated until some fool fell off.

The way it’s supposed to be.

The Wedge - open 24/9 and not curated.

Makes you think about motives.

Big Imagination simply lacks know-how. They are using corporate thinking rather than FKOism.

Fuck them.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:55 pm

My MV isn’t open at all times 24/7. Almost no one’s is.
You can’t just come up demanding entrance while I’m trying to work on it or whatever reason I have at the moment.

The 747 guys are planning to upgrade the entrance/exit, because demand exceeded their expectations.
Wtf kind of studies and regulations do you non-building armchair experts think they should be required to meet? That staircase it had was pretty damn big.
The lines were 100% due to the popularity of the thing.
My MV doesn’t have near the capacity of that thing, but i don’t have lines because it’s not as popular. Same with all yours, IF you even went to the trouble to bring one, which few if any of you do.
But the spinning bull that people got hurt pretty badly on until it had to be stopped was cool? Literally cutting people’s parts off is OK, but god damn, don’t hit a little soft playa on your way out and have to work extra hard to NOT moop your project.

When did everyone become so entitled? These guys worked super hard and tried their best.
Not good enough for you guys, but what the hell...

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:53 pm

I'm still taken aback by the assumption that, if you disagree with the way Big Imagination handled things, you must not build or bring anything to the playa. A lot of problems these days are rooted in some groups rejecting internal criticism and trying to eject dissenters rather than to self-examine; paradoxically attempting to argue with facts and prove opinions.

I've said before that I do core build on an art car and work on large art projects, and still believe the 747 debacle was avoidable and mishandled, but that never seems to impact the rhetoric of "only armchair experts think there was a problem." The fact that many of us here on the forums are actively contributing weeks or months of work to bring projects is inconvenient to the narrative, so it gets discarded.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:01 am

Arthur Schopenhauer

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:02 pm

These folks have no trouble moving a plane down a highway.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/lock ... index.html

Return to “Art & Performance”