HEY!!! @%$#^&!!!

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about your 2018 playa projects here.
ZeugmaMethod
Burning Since: 2016

HEY!!! @%$#^&!!!

Postby ZeugmaMethod » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Why censor my last message when I was looking for help without any email notice about what was going on?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: HEY!!! @%$#^&!!!

Postby Token » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Don’t know what you said that got deleted, but the title of present post demands this:

Sham

Postby Sham » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:51 pm

You may want to take a moment to introduce yourself and tell about your project.
Introductions go a long way. A message was sent to your PM box explaining the issue.
I appreciate you clearing things up, and look forward to seeing your project on the playa in just 7+ short months. 8)

ZeugmaMethod

Postby ZeugmaMethod » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Well Sham you should know because were the guy were the guy who deleted me post.

I was asking if anyone one knows I'd a firm that does architectural anodizing for a piece I want to bring to the playa.

Without the notification of any response being sent to my registered to my email as per the settings on this BB, you deleted my posting.

As a neophyte here that is neither helpful nor friendly.

I have since sent you a message clarifying your question and as of this writing there has been no response except for your musical sphinctory.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:54 pm

Token wrote:Don’t know what you said that got deleted, but the title of present post demands this:

You know, that may be the most brilliant thing I have ever heard. Who wrote it, Beethoven?

Token

Postby Token » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:
You know, that may be the most brilliant thing I have ever heard. Who wrote it, Beethoven?

Brainchild of Al Jorgensen from Ministry and Trent Reznor of NIN fame.

Side projects like RevCo, Pailhead, etc from the usual villains of industrial-metal-punk lore.

Never gets old.

I want the furry cuffs.

Token

Postby Token » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Anodizing 101

10% sulfuric acid - same as car battery.
Aluminum wire - available at any big box store
Few automotive light bulbs - to regulate voltage and current
12V power source

Clean and finish your aluminum part to desired sheen/texture
Connect some Al wire to your part
Create an anode of aluminum wire to carry voltage in your solution
Place anode in acid, maximizing surface area wrt your part
Place part in acid
Run power source via light bulbs to part and anode
Adjust number of bulbs based on how much bubbling is going on
Don’t breathe the vapors and have outstanding ventilation.

Your part will get anodized.

Once you reach your target oxide thickness, remove power, part.

Rinse in cold water for a long-ass time.

Now you can boil the part in water to seal the anodized surface or dye the part first with a super fine textile dye before boiling to seal the pigment.

That’s it.

Now if your part is too large to reasonably dip in an acid bath, there is a “brush” technique for large stuff but it is quite bad for the health and risky. Wrong kind of burn.

If you’ve read this far without blowing your top ...

There are custom automotive and marine outfits that have large immersion tanks for either anodizing or chroming metals. Google in your area to see what shows up.

Also see if any car restoration places can point you to a local shop.

ZeugmaMethod

Postby ZeugmaMethod » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:09 pm

I've been exploring the home anodizing kit and for single onesies and twosies of easily managed sized parts that might be fine...but this playa bound piece has 12 parts that are 17 feet by 7 feet by 3 inches. I could build my own tanks of EPDM. I do have a small crane, but as I would prefer to have some better quality control than my personal experience dictates I'd like to either find someone who has done this before on this scale or who knows of a contractor/jibber.

Here is more info on the project and a model of it.

Chapel of the H:R Boundary Event

The Human:Robot Boundary Event has it's parallel in the K:T Boundary that ended the reign of the dinosaurs. This is a chapel commemorating the robot's creation story as told by a museum of natural history.

The structure is six bay built of gold tinted anodized aluminum. Each is vaguely shaped like a bus shelter. They are arranged facing inward in a circle. At the outside of each bay is a propane fired generator and a propane tank. These six generators provide a constant hum as well as power the marker lights that form three rings of lights. The outside ring is 50 feet in diameter and 12 inches off the playa. The next ring is at the origin height of the shelter, 8 feet off the ground and in a 30 foot diameter circle. The roofs reach inward 6 feet and upward two more to place the last ring of lights 10 feet off the playa. These circles of light strobe in counter rotation to each other. It looks like some sort of UFO has landed here.

Burners gain entry to the courtyard passing the generators and the lights shielded from their eyes. The inside of the roof of each bay holds a relief of human skeletal fossils as we might collect trilobite or green river fish. These impressions of humans are gently light against the backdrop of the sky, day or night.
20180106_155442_resized.jpg

Token

Postby Token » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Yikes, that looks big. Looks heavy. Looks expensive.

Not clear which parts are aluminum, but I get the scale issue.

Why do you want to anodize?

Unless you need hardness, insulation, or etching patterns for further plating ... is this just for corrosion prevention?

The two weeks on playa do not warrant that level of expense.

ZeugmaMethod

Postby ZeugmaMethod » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:38 pm

I think it far more wasteful to build art for the Playa alone. If the idea is worth building then its worth building with some permanence. Also it serves the playa better if work shared there has a life beyond Burning Man AND it serves Burning Man to share with the world.

We live in a Dixie cup world of strip malls, disposable architecture and landscape architecture built for viewing from the comfort of the front seat of your vehicle. How about building real for a change.

Do you really think painted plywood brings the same sense of wonder as treating fossils of humans as semiprecious gems set in a large gold colored metal ring? Where is that sense of vision?

The real deal here it to take the audience beyond the theatre of the playa. This has to be convincing. The argument about placing our species existence in the context of a geologic view of time especially if our only remaining legacy might be the artificial intelligence we created.

For scale the model was produced at 1:48 scale. For another scale as a landscape architect I've designed and built many individual residential landscape projects for hundreds of thousands of dollars that were shared by no more than seven people. This project will be shared with scores of tens of thousands of people from around the world.

ZeugmaMethod

Postby ZeugmaMethod » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 pm

All the parts that are goldish in color are intended to be anodized aluminum. It will weigh less than 5,000 lbs. That's about the same weight as two cubic yards of gravel.

Token

Postby Token » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Well, you have two choices.

1. Find an industrial plating plant and outsource to them.

2. Build a plating setup yourself and do the work.

Option 2 - you will need to check local regulations to see if this particular craft is regulated.

Regardless of regs, there is a mountain of safety that has to be implemented. It’s not as simple as pointing a fan at an acid bath.

If you want to read about plating, anodizing and the likes at a “hobby” level, https://forum.caswellplating.com
Has some fun talks.

Disclaimer: not affiliated with Caswell but have used their products before.

End of the day, if anodizing is critical to your perceived project success, budget your go-fund-me and the likes to include the industrial service you want.

Where you at, BTW? If anywhere near SoCal, IMS Metals is a place you should visit. Lots of metal treatment options without need for nasty acids.

I could spend hours dreaming in their showroom when I lived in those parts.

Good Luck.

ZeugmaMethod

Postby ZeugmaMethod » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks Token!
I always seem to reach for another challenge. This one could be a big one. I live in the Shenandoah valley of Virginia. I'm about 100 miles due west of Washington, DC.

I've been weighing these options. Finding a service that does type 2 in gold with a tank large enough to accommodate these pieces within four hours travel is an issue.

This county is deeply red and turns a blind regulatory eye to pretty much all industry. I live on 3 acres so space isn't an issue. Also I have a small crane (20 ft) to use as a yard crane for transferring parts. I would prefer not to do the plating myself.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 am

Moderator note: Anti M

I moved this to 2018 Arts and Performance as that is a much better fit for an art project than Greeter's Station. That forum is more for personal introductions. This is where art projects are best discussed. It sounds fantastic!

ZeugmaMethod

Postby ZeugmaMethod » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks!

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 am

You had me at "musical sphinctory"
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

ZeugmaMethod

Postby ZeugmaMethod » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Ha!

Return to “Art & Performance”