Comedy on the playa

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about your 2018 playa projects here.
EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Jerk Camp

Comedy on the playa

Post by EB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Hey all,

EB here, first time, long time. I've been attending off and on since 2000 & still can't believe we're at 70k attendees. It's a good thing ticket prices haven't gone up!

So I'm thinking of putting together a small camp (around 10, mixture of vets and virgins) with the purpose of hosting a small comedy stage. It'll be very basic: 1.) a 5'x8' stage with a small bar next to it, a few chairs but not "seating", a light rig & mic set-up. All covered under a 30'x30 or 40'x'40 EMT conduit/alumina-net shade structure.

My goal is to fill about an hour a night, or 8 comics doing 5 minutes each and two "headliners" doing 10 each. Less "open mic" and more "Laugh Factory on an off-Tuesday". Also: The comedy has to be ridiculously playa-centric.

Assuming I'll have all the camping stuff accounted for (as much as one can) my question(s) is/are this/these:

What am i missing?

What do you see as some of the challenges to a camp like this? Mine, so far:

Cons:
1.) Flaking
2.) General fuckery that comes with having to concentrate, at night, on the playa.
3.) Booing.

Pros:
1.) All my journeled dick jokes set free at once. Like a million voices crying out, then silenced.
2.) Free drinks for me and my friends, anywhere on the playa.
3.) Chance to be discovered by Mr. Harvey.

I'd love to hear feedback, best practices.

Thanks,

EB
Jerk Camp
Irony. You're soaking in it.

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Re: Comedy on the playa

Post by AfricanFire » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:06 pm

I love this. I think your biggest problem might be people flaking on you. Maybe an 'Open Mic Comedy' option so there are no gaps? The comedy will likely be terrible, but I'm sure there'd be willing victims volunteers. There are always volunteers at Karaoke bars even if they can't sing at all. And a rule - if you boo, you're up next / only people who've performed on the stage are allowed to boo.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:46 am

You've been going since 2000. You know the drill. Plan it. Build it. Watch it morph. Enjoy it.

Wouldn't it be a shame if it turned into a strip joint. NOT!
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:32 pm

It might be a comedy club if it's a strip joint, depending on who is stripping...

But yeah, the only issue I think will be flaking. And I love the rule that whoever boos is up next to show how its done!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Post by Zubeneschamali » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:54 pm

The comedy usually gets better with strict enforcement of the two drink minimum rule....

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Hmm ...

Seems like allot of work to institutionalize the long standing tradition of pulling up a lawn chair on the esplanade and firing off through a megaphone.

I’d do it different and make it a JOTS comedy tour, run it mornings during the “rush hour”, megaphone it for simplicity, do the whole show with a captive audience in the blue-splash-row, then move a block.

That would be smashing good.

alt12
Burning Since: 2003

Post by alt12 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:48 pm

So what's the deal with all the dust?

Return to “Art & Performance”