Biggest MOOP in the history of Burning Man

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about your 2018 playa projects here.
666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Re: Biggest MOOP in the history of Burning Man

Post by 666isMONEY » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:49 am

They got stuck on the playa and had to be rescued. Shit happens. It's not MOOP. :dead_horse:

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:04 am

dead horse.JPG

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:37 am

Not even close to what happened here. Give it up already and give them their credit due. I'd like to see you bring a plane to Burning Man. Just the fact they conceived the idea is amazing. You can bet that if it's allowed back next year this won't happen.

Even without bringing anything to BM but yourself, how many things did you learn and change after your first burn? Your second? Give it a break already.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:00 pm

:lol: :lol: don’t tell me what to do, you’re not my dad :mrgreen:

And I do agree with maladroit. I don’t really care if it was there one way or the other but they did cause a buzz and people can have their free speech about it. Just like you telling us to knock it off :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:59 pm

It was a pretty big fuckup not having an adequate plan to get the plane off the playa, the paperwork in order, and the research/testing/surveying/engineering/etc. to ensure that the plane could physically leave (or even enter) the site without much disturbance. Part of that was the BMORG not requiring such preplanning and paperwork, as they hadn't dealt with something on this scale before.

I'm sure future projects of this kind is going to require a lot more hoops, planning documents, engineering approvals, etc. -- essentially filing a complete permit -- to allow such things on the playa again. The event is ever changing as people push into uncharted territory.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:09 pm

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:27 am

dead horse, indeed.
but, some people just like to complain. Doesn't matter what it's about, it makes them feel important or smart or something, to say what others "did wrong" and how the complainers would do things differently, and because it's them, "better".
Effort is real. Art, well, is very subjective. I've always understood (especially at TTITD), that if you do it, and call it art, it's art. There are some pretty janky, stupid, whatever, things out there, IMHO......but, well, if they like it, then yay, again, IMHO.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:40 am

ygmir wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:27 am
dead horse, indeed.
but, some people just like to complain. Doesn't matter what it's about, it makes them feel important or smart or something, to say what others "did wrong" and how the complainers would do things differently, and because it's them, "better".
Effort is real. Art, well, is very subjective. I've always understood (especially at TTITD), that if you do it, and call it art, it's art. There are some pretty janky, stupid, whatever, things out there, IMHO......but, well, if they like it, then yay, again, IMHO.
Plus 1
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:48 am

:lol: :lol: everyone complaining about the dead horse while beating the dead horse...

:lol: dead
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Of course, YOU’D have pulled all this off without the slightest glitch.
You would have known about the unforeseen property line issue, and you’d have accurately predicted the hardness of the playa along the entire route.
You wouldn’t have done what these guys did, which apparently was go home and leave others to do it all for them like the people who leave all the trash and moop.

Isn’t that right.

What have you ever brought to the playa again? Some beer and a tent? I forget...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:46 pm

BBadger wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:59 pm
... I'm sure future projects of this kind is going to require a lot more hoops, planning documents, engineering approvals, etc. -- essentially filing a complete permit -- to allow such things on the playa again. The event is ever changing as people push into uncharted territory.
I believe that is the direction of the real concern.
Expressed differently, given the size of the oversight, impact of the change in storage location, size of the required 'rescue', potential impact to the playa had a rescue failed, potential impact to Burning Man had a rescue failed, etc., these become questions regarding future projects, their plans and contingency plans, for the Org, BLM and future projects.
  • What will be required in the future:
    • by the Org
    • by BLM
    • others?
  • What will define "projects of this kind" or will there be more sweeping requirements as a burden/playa-protecting-precaution for "lessor"/simpler projects?
  • Damage/Cleanup performance bond?
  • What will even be allowed in future?
  • (will the 747 be allowed back? They've discovered, hence they have demonstrated what's required now and can arrange to have it in place...)
  • etc..
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Can we talk about 'Embrace' for a minute? It was beautiful art and a bit elitist. It was a huge fail as far as rules, problems and waste of manpower. Did the rules change after that?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:40 am

Throw that straw man onto the fire too... :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:26 am

I wonder how much of all the complaining, comes from the narcissistic viewpoint of: "If I don't like it, it's not worthy", and to justify the attitude, people tear it apart related to minutiae , that would easily pass on things they "like" and therefore deem worthy?
I'm just struggling, hearing so many people who spout love of art, free expression, radical inclusion, embracing the "weird", (and embrace "non judgemetalism"), turn on this like a pack of jackals.
It's sort of a "pack mentality" where they want to agree with others in their circles, so jump on the bandwagon, just to be with the cool kids.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:30 am

The project is down on the ground .. Just right for a good kicking .. Keep kicking it while it's down ... That's the chicken shit way.. Isn't it ?

Dr Helix
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:19 am

I doubt seriously if there would have been near the discussion this generated if it hadn't been for the issues regarding it leaving the playa. Minor grumbling sure, but the whole thing exploded once the difficulties in getting it gone surfaced. That's how this thread started before it blew up into where we are now. Ah, thread drift.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Token

Post by Token » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:43 pm

ygmir wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:26 am

I'm just struggling, hearing so many people who spout love of art, free expression, radical inclusion, embracing the "weird", (and embrace "non judgemetalism"), turn on this like a pack of jackals.
Aren’t you caught in an endless loop of criticizing the critics for being critical?

You can’t adjudicate opinions.

It’s all a different version of the old arguments; Ravers, RVs, Kids, blah blah blah. They all ruined Burning Man.

The only logical conclusion to these - Radical Inclusion was a mistake. ;)

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:50 pm

ygmir wrote:
I wonder how much of all the complaining, comes from the narcissistic viewpoint of: "If I don't like it, it's not worthy", and to justify the attitude, people tear it apart related to minutiae , that would easily pass on things they "like" and therefore deem worthy?
It's sort of a "pack mentality" where they want to agree with others in their circles, so jump on the bandwagon, just to be with the cool kids.
You talkin to me (said in DeNero voice)? I just like poking you all with my stick :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:31 am

lucky420 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:50 pm
ygmir wrote:
You talkin to me (said in DeNero voice)? I just like poking you all with my stick :mrgreen:
If the phoo shits .. you wear it..

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 am

unjonharley wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:31 am
lucky420 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:50 pm
ygmir wrote:
If the phoo shits .. you wear it..
I don’t even know what the fuck that means... :roll:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 am

Lucky, If the shoe fits, wear it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Well who the fuck would wear shoes that don’t fit?

Yeah, I own my shit so not sure what he’s spouting on about but okayyyyyyy
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Ha, sure, all the cool kids against the "art" that wasn't... What a complete reversal of reality. Don't you guys have some DJ to go praise?

What level of narcissism makes people whining about others opinions think they are somehow not being critical? The same level that turns rent a cops into art critic critics.

So according to this b.s., if you aren't into doing the biggest thing possible to get the most attention possible, you're a narcissist? So ads backwards. What kind of gaslighting is that?

Peak narcissism. Kinda like that plane....
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

GroundStart
Camp Name: Kikakee

Post by GroundStart » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:34 pm

splendid.png
Lonesomebri wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm
So according to this b.s., if you aren't into doing the biggest thing possible to get the most attention possible, you're a narcissist? So ads backwards. What kind of gaslighting is that?
That is, kind of a way to put the old-fangled Latin jargon I snuck in several pages ago. The low hanging fruit was preferred, it's true that I don't own cattle, but the argument is that an idea is not credible because an unrelated idea exists.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Dead?
Unfortunately not.
  • There's the various exit/removal/rescue issues that rose their head, etc., etc., that it attracted attention, and as in the press and elsewhere, the possibility, even expectation, of consequences in the future.
    • Hope the powers-that-be keep in mind that in the end what's required was worked out and it was implemented by various Burning Man based resources,
    • and specifically for that project, they can arrange to have the now known necessary resources in place and planned for in subsequent years.
  • Then there's will it survive where it is, without interference and/or weather creating a cleanup or other problem. Observed behaviours in the past don't have me overly hopefully, but hopefully the full-time caretaker mentioned will keep it safe.
  • And then there's various personal feeling or thoughts about the project coming to the playa.
    (Personally, it set the new standard for meh (there's gotta be things more meh, but I draw a blank when I try to think of them); but then I remembered it's a nice tall viewing platform, so I certainly have to give it that...)
  • And also personally (since I'm posting I'll add it again), I wonder what all those resources (money, blood, sweat & tears) could have brought to the playa.
So, are we going to see meaningful discussion in a thread with so many diverse topics within a topic, along with diverse opinions (and feelings) (with the chance the powers or project may pick a point out somewhere that helps), or is it - along with the various valid criticisms - now just the cutest or snarkiest comment or graphic wins.
We've certainly done that before.
th_popcorncat.gif
th_popcorncat.gif (16.78 KiB) Viewed 857 times
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:25 am

After having brought more and more of the plane each year, I believe what was brought this year represents the final scope of the project.

While I'm sure they'll want to bring it back, and that it was quite a feat to bring it, I kind of want to see them either do more with it or not bring it back. Yup, they brought a big plane. Awesome. But it's like a presale ticket: now the initial novelty factor in bringing something that big to the playa is used up and it's basically an unmutated base vehicle, even if it is a 747.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:58 am

BBadger wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:25 am
it's basically an unmutated base vehicle
If they bring it back again, it should be radically mutated :mrgreen:
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:32 am

BBadger wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:25 am
... I kind of want to see them either do more with it or not bring it back. ...
Sounds great, but given 2018's events, perhaps it may be better to bring it back pretty much as it is, to keep the round-trip to/at/from BRC as simple and straightforward as possible? Demonstrate to the powers-that-be that with the requirements now fully known, the yearly round-trip is low risk and manageable.
Keep the scope of 2019 enhancements - if any - simple & easy?

With a multi-year effort to bring it to the playa, they want to spend BM 2019 enjoying it before putting more into it. And they'll have to expend more money, sweat & tears just to have a 2019 round trip anyways.

And we don't know what expenses were incurred given the unexpected resources required. They may not have the funds to return in 2019, but have to skip a year.

As 'big' or 'a plane', I find it utterly meh (perhaps I've flown too much), but it is nice to have an elevated playa-viewing platform.

Token

Post by Token » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 am

What we really need is a second 747 identical to the one already there so they can join them ass-end to ballast the thing and make the worlds biggest teeter-totter.

Load it up, get the rave going, retract both nose wheels half way. Let the party rage!

Dramamine for everyone!!!

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Return to “Art & Performance”