Camp Čapek 42 is seeking a few self reliant independent campers

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2018.
pocketmonster
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Camp Internet Strangers

Camp Čapek 42 is seeking a few self reliant independent campers

Post by pocketmonster » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Searching for a few good folks to join our unplaced mini camp! My roommate and I are going into our 2nd and 3rd burns as fully self-reliant campers....and bringing a lounge! That's right, we've got a sweet custom made shade structure that can support a couch on top and spreads out to a nice, cool space underneath to chill for the day.

Earlier in the year when ticket sales were still just glimmers in everyone's eyes, we had big dreams of many friends coming with us and having a great central space for us to share. Unfortunately, 3 frantic ticket sales later, and our crew has diminished considerably. We still want to bring the lounge, and now we're hoping we'll meet some new friends who would like to join!

We have:
  • A shaded lounge with a viewing deck and amazing orange shag carpet! This will be facing the street so folks passing by are welcome to come in and enjoy.
  • A giant teddy bear!
  • As many more stuffed animals and fuzzy things I can find at the thrift stores before the burn!
  • Lights!
  • A super cool pedicab cargo bike
  • Minimal electricity (I have some solar power, but it's limited)
  • No dues
  • No responsibilities
  • No shifts
  • No shared kitchen
We are:
  • Two electrical engineers in our 30s
  • Outdoor lovers
  • I'm a bicycle fan and have too many bikes
  • He's a skydiver and is planning on doing jumps during the event this year!
Just to repeat: you have to bring everything you're going to need to exist out there, we have no shared essentials.

If you're not going in on gate opening day (so we can meet outside the burn and come in together), but are interested in joining us, we have a hiking GPS unit that can send text messages with our street location. We are aiming for 4:30 & K area as that was our location last year and we really liked how calm it was.

We are based in Tahoe and will be going through Reno on Saturday. He's building a hexayurt for himself, and I have a teardrop trailer I'm putting under a monkeyhut.

If you're interested, tell us a bit about yourselves! Is there anything you'd like to add to our camp? Maybe a bar? Maybe a massage table? Maybe a misting system?

Feel free to ask any questions. See y'all out there!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Camp Čapek 42 is seeking a few self reliant independent campers

Post by trilobyte » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Sorry to hear that things took a different turn, but looks like a fairly solid plan. If/when you come up with a name for your camp, then you should also send one of your group over to playa info once you've got settled, you can enter your info there and friends can look you up.

pocketmonster

Post by pocketmonster » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Oh neat! I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the tip!

CapNChuck
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Solo

Post by CapNChuck » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Hey guys! I am actually looking to camp in that same area (some where along the 4:30 block). We were planning on having our own self reliant camp site but maybe we can join in depending on your expectations/requirements. There are 8 of us 5 women and 3 guys. We are bringing a 30' RV that will be the anchor to our camp although 6 of the 8 are tent camping around the RV with only two actually sleeping inside. We require nothing from you guys at all and are towing a trailer with 100 gal of extra water and about 20 gal of extra fuel. I am a lighting designer and DJ and was bringing a speaker and some DJ equipment as I am playing at a couple larger camp sites this year. Im also bringing a simple LED strip and a 16x20 shade material. One of the ladies is a great messages another does henna and all are free spirited positive people. We are planning on rolling up at gates around 12:01 but coming up from AZ so will be staying in Fallon or Fernley on Saturday before heading to the gate. Even if we don't camp "together" we could be neighbors. Cheers.

pocketmonster

Post by pocketmonster » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks for the reply, CapNChuck! I'll PM you.

D3edwards
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: TioPepe

Post by D3edwards » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:28 am

We are in a similar boat and looking to camp in the same area. Two (maybe 3) campers from the bay area, will be bringing hexyurt, carport (s), solar panel, evap pond, etc etc. We are hoping to be there at 12:02 on Sunday.

--Diana

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:44 am

What a great example of doing community right!

These few posts touch more or less the 10 principles in all the right way!

Guys, please come back in September and post some stories on how it went.

Us diehards that can no longer go love to live through your eyes, a paragraph at a time.

pocketmonster

Post by pocketmonster » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 am

D3edwards wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:28 am
We are in a similar boat and looking to camp in the same area. Two (maybe 3) campers from the bay area, will be bringing hexyurt, carport (s), solar panel, evap pond, etc etc. We are hoping to be there at 12:02 on Sunday.

--Diana
I'll shoot you a PM!

pocketmonster

Post by pocketmonster » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am

Token wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:44 am

Us diehards that can no longer go love to live through your eyes, a paragraph at a time.
Awwww! Thanks, Token! I will report back, sir! :D

martin luther Reformer
Burning Since: 2008

Post by martin luther Reformer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 am

So we're in the exact same boat! We're a married couple in our early 30's looking forward to our eighth and fourth burns since 2008. We've lost our usual crew to random unfortunate events and are now rolling solo for the first time. We've got all our gear and various buddies around the playa, but we'd love to find a little group to come home to. Your kind of smallish independent camp setup with hangout space is our preferred (and previously planned) burn mode. We're coming from LA and our plans are completely flexible.

More about us:

-We're both PhD students in the humanities from LA and Switzerland
-Solid builders (with art department/film production experience)
-Not mega spiritual but totally respectful of all persuasions/like to party and down with whatever
-Planning to sleep in a small hexayurt, shade TBD
-We may possess the secret to the perfect playa brunch, which we bring from Switzerland

We're traveling light can't offer impressive camp contributions (although a bar could totally be arranged)... but we definitely CAN promise you a couple of experienced, no-bullshit, intelligent, fun and cooperative people who won't spend the entire time taking pictures of ourselves for social media.

pocketmonster

Post by pocketmonster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:19 am

martin luther Reformer wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 am
We've lost our usual crew to random unfortunate events and are now rolling solo for the first time. We've got all our gear and various buddies around the playa, but we'd love to find a little group to come home to. Your kind of smallish independent camp setup with hangout space is our preferred (and previously planned) burn mode. We're coming from LA and our plans are completely flexible.
I'll PM you!

pocketmonster

Post by pocketmonster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:25 am

Also.... :o
martin luther Reformer wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 am
We may possess the secret to the perfect playa brunch, which we bring from Switzerland

pocketmonster

Post by pocketmonster » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:27 am

Thank you everyone for the replies and PM's! I can't wait to meet all the cool people who responded. At this time we are "full"... and we officially have a name!

Drum roll please.....Camp Čapek 42!

Karel Čapek is a Czech writer who wrote a play in 1920 titled R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots) that introduced the word "robot"! His brother, Josef, came up with the term. There's more cool stuff about it on the Wikipedia article about Karel.

See y'all out there.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:36 am

Oh, that's a brilliant name - congrats!

sepudo
Burning Since: 2018

Post by sepudo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:42 pm

hey camp capek 42

glad you got your situation sorted out.

I am also a self reliant independent camper whos friends had a last minute change of plans and will not be coming with me.

I am in a sprinter van camper alone and have water, cooking, shower and anything else needed for comfort

I'll stop by your camp just to say hi and if I can help with anything I'm happy to help. It looks like I'll be staying along 4:15 and i street.

see you at the playa!

pocketmonster

Post by pocketmonster » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Hope you do come by and enjoy our lounge and bar! We’ll have a chalkboard out when we’re serving drinks, but the lounge will be open to anyone any time.

Now that we have a name, I’ll definitely register at the Directory. I’m hopefully working on a sign with our camp name too.

Dsm253
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Dsm253 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Token wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:44 am

Everything came together amazingly well, we had a great group and camp/village set-up. In my completely unbiased opinion, we also put out some of the best bloody mary's on playa when the bar opened up.

Token

Post by Token » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Dsm253 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Everything came together amazingly well ...
That good, eh?

Cmmon, there’s gotta be more stories than that?

:)

That is Nice
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: The Real World

Post by That is Nice » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Liking the fact that your camp name is a reference to the Czech writer Karel Čapek.
pocketmonster wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:58 pm
If you're interested, tell us a bit about yourselves! Is there anything you'd like to add to our camp?
How about a tank full of newts? Though I'm not sure that everybody would get the joke.

Moot point, because I won't be able to afford to go for a while, but that was the first thing that came to mind, because of a book of his I read when I was little.

pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Post by pedroescobar » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Čapek wrote one of my favorite short works about a Swedish vacuum cleaner. Reminds me of the playa with all the reverence about dust.

https://books.google.com/books?id=XIUoy ... um&f=false

pocketmonster

Post by pocketmonster » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:56 pm

It's been a busy month for me since the Burn, so I apologize for not personally getting back to the forum to report.

In summary: IT WAS AMAZING. We did rename ourselves to "Camp Internet Strangers", which I loved.

I capped it off at about 12 folks total, and most everyone was in groups of 2 so I didn't have to coordinate with each person individually; unintentionally most of the group had been 2-3 times before. Most of the group met us up in Reno on Saturday and I had cell info for everyone who was coming in later or separately. We caravanned together after at last minute Lowes stop in Sparks, which actually turned out to be a great meet spot. We had some radios, which was helpful for when we split up at will-call. The lead group head to our target area of 4:30 & K and meandered around to find a slightly further in spot of "3:55" & J. I was personally really surprised and disappointed at how much of the closer in city had been claimed well before the gates opened, definitely feeds into my perspective that BM is no longer for independent, self-reliant campers, but anyway...

After finding our space we spread our vehicles out and roughly guessed how much we were going to need for the lounge and later arrivals. I sent out text messages to those still out there with our coordinates, and got confirmations back, so I didn't need to go to my backup methods (signs at 4:30 & L, camp registration at center camp). I'm really glad that the majority of the group was there and didn't require holding space as it quickly dwindled over the next few days.

After some hours of sleep, we got up and started building the lounge and some of our individual spaces that we could with the higher winds on Sunday. It was awesome to take turns helping each other and take some beer breaks with each other. By the end of the day we had most of what we could set up with the conditions and we all took off for the playa to explore together.

Coming back to a group of people we were getting to know was really fun. Every day it seemed like I hung out with a different set of the group. On days we were feeling good, we'd open up the bar and serve up bloody mary's, beer, or whatever combination of things that our group brought to share. The bloody mary's were a HUGE HIT, btw! I highly recommend. People were so excited to find an unadvertised camp with no lines with bloodies.

We all had our own individual setup types -- I had my monkey hut with a teardrop, there was a nice shade coming out of a van, one coming off a hexayurt, etc. That turned out to be really nice, we'd often chill with each other in the other spaces or cook up some food to share with each other.

The big thing I wanted to do for the week was to make quesadillas to take out to playa at night and share. I had bought pizza boxes and delivery warmers, and lots of prepared vegan, vegeterian, and pulled pork stuff and Martin Luther reformer brought some amazing tortillas from LA. One night I asked whoever in our group was interested to help, and we set up an assembly line of building quesadillas! After we made as many as we could, we group rode out to the spikey light pole art and just started handing them out. People were so stoked to have hot food. (We were respectful to stay outside in the bike area and not in the art itself.) It was all gone before I knew it, but it was such a wonderful thing to do together. I was so happy my idea came together and our group did it together.

One more highlight -- my roommate had already signed up and was part of the skydiving camp. He wasn't staying there, just part of it so he could do some jumps. He didn't want to do as many jumps as he was allowed to do, so he could gift his leftover jump tickets to people to take a ride on the jump plane. Towards the end of the week, on his last jump he decided to give his spare tickets to 4 of us in the camp. What an experience! We were so happy to go up with him and see him jump out of the plane above the playa. Seeing the city from the air and take that ride was a one in a lifetime!

The sense of community that we created by just meeting up together and chatting a bit before the week started was the most surprising part to me. It didn't take much to move the needle from stranger neighbors to some of us being friends for a long time.

Thanks, ePlaya. You provided exactly what I was hoping for when I put out that first post. :)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Thank you for coming back to tell us about it. That's a wonderful story.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token

Post by Token » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:44 pm

Wonderful! Thank you for the good stuff!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:06 am

Weeeeeeeeee

Glad you had a great time :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”