Red Herring seeking Stage Talent and Builders

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2018.
nkrober
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Red Herring

Red Herring seeking Stage Talent and Builders

Postby nkrober » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:54 pm

We need the following (will update as we think of more things):

Wall Paper Hanger: We have a special place in our hearts, our camp and our early arrival team for a professional wall-paper hanger. You will have a couple of helpers. Seriously. If interested please get in touch. I mean, who does wall paper on playa? We do....and we struggled a little with application last year. Hopefully we can bring on board a new Herring who can take over that task during Early Arrival. The Red Herring salon is about 20x20 with 8-10 ft walls to be papered. You would be working with our early arrival team the entire week before the burn. It's the most fun time of the BM for us on the EA team. We typically hang the wall paper and then distress it in some manner to match our dilapidated mansion look.

Talent: We have a stage on which all sorts of 'acts' are performed. Last year we had a marching band, singers, opera, poetry, hosts pouring tea, storytelling, etc.....I don't want to say anything goes, because we are selective in keeping the acts in alignment with a certain vibe in the space, but we're open to hearing what you can bring to make our space even more interesting. You can play on our stage even if you don't camp with us. If interested please get in touch and we'll direct you to our stage manager. No fire play (it's an indoor wooden structure). Many of our camp members play 'host' or 'aristocrat' for the evening, so if that's up your alley, please let us know.

Builders: with skills in carpentry, plumbing, electrical, etc. Always looking for great builders to fortify the already excellent build team.

Here's a little of what you can expect camping at Red Herring.

• Hot gourmet meals provided 2 times per day, snacks between meals
• Large comfy shaded lounge area shared by members, great people- watching area
• Bar in the lounge area with an occasional theme night, iced tea during the day
• Hot camp showers (bring your own water. our tank heats your water and drains to the camp gray water tank)
• Three private camp portas with locks, for use only by RH members
• Gray water tank on site emptied on a schedule by United Services
• RED HERRING Club, our interactive performance space and collective gift to the playa

Our interactive space will be a performance space and more. Read the long version below to see what we’re about…. If you think we’re a good fit, and you might be interested in joining Red Herring, please fill out the membership request form attached below.

RED HERRING
pano.jpg

You are walking across 9:00 Plaza in Black Rock City. There’s a red door, illuminated by a single light, mysterious and intriguing. Curious, you enter. A long dark hall, thick draperies...

... you emerge into a sumptuous room, the salon of a decadent Aristocrat – forgotten and moldering, yet still retaining vestiges of elegance: tall walls with peeling wallpaper; a fire crackles in an ornate fireplace; a king-sized bed covered in furs; Persian carpets; oil paintings... Welcome to the RED HERRING.

Set in one wall is a theater stage where many interesting performances occur: magicians, poets, dancers, musicians, singers... a DJ spins but the audio here is more atmospheric than you’ve heard elsewhere on the playa: folksongs, whale songs, jazz, choirs, chanting, classical... a hunched manservant serves tea during the day and cocktails in the wee hours… and perhaps you’ll even be fortunate enough to meet the Aristocrat in person…

This is a parlor where many things have happened; can happen; will happen. It's a place to discover and share...

If you are interested in camping at the RED HERRING, please fill out and submit the form linked below. Once you receive approval from our managers, you’ll be emailed information on how to pay dues. NOTE: your spot is not confirmed until your dues are paid.

-----------
NOTE: Red Herring will NOT have camp-wide power, so if that’s something you require, you’ll have to arrange your own solution.

ALSO NOTE: Red Herring is not a “plug and play” camp – all members are expected to help out, chip in, clean up, and bust ass to create an awesome experience for their fellow campmates and our guests. Work shifts are about 4-6 hours total commitment for the week.

And now without further ado, the sign-up form/questionnaire:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zlrpLq ... csrd0hJcyA

Magina
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Re: Red Herring seeking Stage Talent and Builders

Postby Magina » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:22 pm

I am interested in performing on your stage. I play the keys( which I will have my own to bring) and I also sing . I only play my original music :) let me know where I can provide more info and sign up!

Much Dust Love,

Magina

nkrober
Camp Name: Red Herring

Re: Red Herring seeking Stage Talent and Builders

Postby nkrober » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:00 am

Hi Magina!
Here is the form for the stage acts. Thanks!! Our stage manger is Katnip.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... Q/viewform

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”