Camp DIY is looking for a few good campers

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2018.
Juru
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Camp DIY is looking for a few good campers

Post by Juru » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:30 pm

Camp DIY has been a placed theme camp for seven years. We are generally in the 6:00 Sector, with about 30 campers each year. Our primary interactivity is a number of daily workshops during the week on various DIY themed topics. We are a low key camp, and internally very social. We have space this year for some additional campers to join our group.

Our expectations are:
-- You have tickets (we don't have extras).
-- You be generally self sufficient. We are "Camp DIY" after all. We don't provide a community kitchen or similar accouterments.
-- Given some space constraints we can't accept RVs larger than 24'.
-- You will be expected to either lead or assist in a least one of our workshops.
-- There are modest camp dues to cover workshop space materials, supplies for some evening parties.

What we offer:
-- Along with being a relaxed and social group, we think our expectations are pretty modest. Workshops are a lot of fun, and our large workshop space allows for good size attendance.
-- As we are an established camp, being with us brings petty easy name recognition at least in the 6:00 Sector.
-- We generally are centrally located to things like Center Camp, Arctic, and the City in general.
-- Oh, and then there are our misting systems! We have misting on both our shaded workshop space and in-camp hangout area which can make the hot mid-day temperatures much more tolerable.

One additional item to mention – this year we are anticipating this year that to support the misting system we will contract a potable water delivery. This will provide more than enough water for our misting needs, so we can offer that if you want to reduce your personal imported water load we may be able to assist in that regard.

So, if you are interested in joining our camp, please write burningmancampdiy@gmail.com and tell us and tell us specifically what about our camp you find appealing and why you think you'd fit with us. Of course if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

See you on the playa!

michaelkersten
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Camp DIY is looking for a few good campers

Post by michaelkersten » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:38 am

Hi! Wondering if you still have a few spots. My gf and I will be coming out for the first time and are pretty ardent DIYers. We have the knowledge to lead several programs if that is of interest, but before I get into any of that, best to see first if there is any room? (We would be tenters.)
Michael Kersten and Annie Hou
Oakland, CA
michaelasana@gmail.com

JusOne
Burning Since: 2009

Post by JusOne » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:59 pm

I already messaged yall but here goes again. A no would be sufficent to not receive repeat posts but your camp seems to be the most compadible with my idea so i try again.
Im jus1, 31 year old artist bringing, alone, a project to the playa that i carry around the world. Called the magic universe, it involves people adding their own drawings to an endlessly expanding collective piece. This will be my ongoing and specifically scheduled workshop.
Id appreciate to join a camp like yours to not have to bring all infilstructure and just bring the art (and my own self sufficency)
That being said i am getting my ticket AND parking pass, and offer my van and art as a big wall on the roadside to draw people in and or keep wind out. I will build the art piece around my van, since i am DOING IT MYSELF. Rather do it myself with you guys then alone. I am also lighting lamps and will be nice to be where u guys are located. Let me know!

Juru
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Juru » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi all -- thank you for your interest in Camp DIY. Our camp is full for 2018, but we hope to see you at our workshops!

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”