Want to Volunteer on a Camp!

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2018.
PacoAleman
Burning Since: 2018

Want to Volunteer on a Camp!

Post by PacoAleman » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:51 am

Sorry for my english...

This is my first time! After years finally im going!! My plan so far is go by my own, i know one of the basic principles is Radical Self-reliance so at the beginning i did my plan like this, after getting my ticket trough the low income program i manage to book the "only" direct flight from Mexico to Reno, everything was sold out, the only dates available were from Monday 27th to Monday the 3th.

My original plan is to rent a car all by myself so i can put my shelter by the car and have a place to crash and lock my stuff, the airline is making me really hard to bring my camp gear, they wanna charge me insane rates for the extra luggage or overweight i might have, at the end of the story if i rent a car, i can manage to just get my basics and get a tent on walmart over there, since it will be cheaper than paying overweight here. (20 dlls per extra Kg)

I can be by my own with no problems and have a great time for sure, there is a slim chance a friend join if he manage to get a ticket on the next sale or weeks later on craiglist, but i cant wait for him to do my plans.

I would love also to be part of a larger group and a place i can put my shelter, willing to participate and contribute with camp dues in order to be fair with the rest of the crew members, my main problem is that im arriving "late" to burning man, and many camps require to be early to set up the camp, and i completely agree with that, im unable to change my flight since i bought the lowest fare, and there is no more flights anyway.

So pretty much this is the main reason im looking for a camp, its a little overwhelming for me arriving to another country solo and without all my camp gear i need or water to wash my face and personal use, i do know i have to bring my own food & beverages to the camp anyway, i know talking to people at the playa won't be an issue for me, but been a part of a larger group, help with some activities on the camp in order to meet more people will be great! And of course having a place to rest when its needed.

So my real question is... Can you recommend me any camp?

This is my Facebook if you wanna reply by messenger! http://www.Facebook.com/PacoAleman

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Want to Volunteer on a Camp!

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:18 pm

The Grand Hyatt resort on Kauai, Hawaii is really nice and provides goddamm everything you could need.
Expensive as hell but so is Burning Man.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:59 pm

This is the usual plea of someone who wants everyone ELSE to work around their particular issues or schedule. I just read this and it annoys me. They just want to pay and play. Oh I know they will help and all that. But they can't come early to help set up because it didn't fit your travel plan. Maybe you should have figured all that out before you got your plane ticket. The OP's last paragraph says it all:

"So pretty much this is the main reason im looking for a camp, its a little overwhelming for me arriving to another country solo and without all my camp gear i need or water to wash my face and personal use, i do know i have to bring my own food & beverages to the camp anyway, i know talking to people at the playa won't be an issue for me, but been a part of a larger group, help with some activities on the camp in order to meet more people will be great! And of course having a place to rest when its needed."

The OP says NOTHING about what they might bring to contribute to the camp. Just make sure the immediate needs are met both physically or socially and work on my schedule not what might be needed, and they're rarin' to go! I am so tired of this approach. Sorry for the rant but enough is enough.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:29 pm

The Marriott Ocean Beach Club over on Maui will bring you drinks and fresh fruit right out to your lounge chair on the beach.
They even have fire-spinner shows, just like Burning Man.

When a really hard rain squall passes through the lanais can flood into the rooms but they will come by with this giant wet-vac thing and take care of it for you.

In tellin’ ya, if you want accommodations you’re going to the WRONG goddamm place.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”