First time Burner

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2018.
SueyMendez11
Burning Since: 2018

First time Burner

Post by SueyMendez11 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Hey friends!

This is my first time attending Burning Man. Luckily, in NY, I have a group of acquaintances that have been burning for quite some time, but I think this is sort of an experience that I want to have on my own but still connect with them.

A bit about me in order to [hopefully] make connections with like minded people that would be able to steer me in the right direction!

Suey- 35, LGBT, gender fluid and non-conforming, orientation in flow, exploring that a bit more. Love to dance, cuddle, super affectionate, recently separated from my wife of 8 years, looking to love the hell outta people and get loved on like crazy (who doesn't need that, right!?!). Was a union carpenter so totally handy and willing to help out at camp wherever and however I can! Intuitive medium who reads Tarot, and also a Reiki healer willing to do trades and barter for shit on the Playa. Vegetarian, musician, super awesome sense of humor, and all around kind, loving person.

Yeah, that's me basically! Would love to hear from you all, and if anyone from NY gets together with their Burner Crew, I would LOVE to come and meet some peeps! SO, wherever you can give me a hand, PLEASE! Thanks!!!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: First time Burner

Post by lucky420 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:44 pm

Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Suey, Welcome to Eplaya and Burning Man. Sounds like you have it pretty much together except Burning Man is a gift economy not barter. Bring all the things you need/ can't live without.
Suggest you read https://survival.burningman.org/ and https://burningman.org/event/preparatio ... ers-guide/This will tell you a lot of what you need to know and googling Eplaya: "your question" will get you more info. If you still have questions come back here and ask or just stop in and say hello.
We don't get a lot of LGBT folk who anounce themselves when they first post. Glad you did and wish more would. I think last year LGBTIAA was about 36% so you are in good company.
Here is a list of last years camps who wanted to be public about their events:
https://burningman.org/culture/history/ ... eme-camps/
Image has a constantly updated list of queer camps. You will be hard pressed to find any camp at BM that identifys for one gender or sex.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

SueyMendez11

Post by SueyMendez11 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:21 pm

This is a so helpful!!! THANK YOU! I did read most of that stuff when considering this awesome trip! I’ll look into the events and the camps! You’re awesome!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Welcome, SueyMendez11! :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

SueyMendez11

Post by SueyMendez11 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:46 pm