7 people seeking camp

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2018.
Luke_Man
Burning Since: 2017

7 people seeking camp

Post by Luke_Man » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:37 am

Hi,

We are a group of 7 seeking camp, a few of us have a couple of burns in our belt while 4 are virgins... The 7 of us come from different corners of the world... From Argentina, to Serbia, Belize and Houston TX. We are riding together from SF, got an RV FS31 class C w/generator... plus trailer with all the basic needs pretty much sorted.

Electronic music (techno and deep house) is what has brought us together, we are willing to work and participate, DJ and help on camp activities, some of us are very much familiar with handy work as well as organizing and project managing stuff.

We are looking to participate in a camp with decent facilities (shower/kitchen) as well as good music, [redacted, moderator note, please discuss dues via PM or email]

We are arriving to SF on the 25th and flying back on the 4th due to intercontinental travel and prior commitments... so unfortunately we can't be much help with the set up and packing of the camp.

Look forward to hear from you.
Regards,
LookAss

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: 7 people seeking camp

Post by AntiM » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:17 pm

7 people in an RV pretty much are a camp.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Plug n play is what you're looking for. Pay up front, show up with the camp already set up, party and then get out before takedown. Sorry but that's really what you're wanting. And spare me the "handy" part. The camp will be in place with the folks who set it up knowing how to manage it, so your "project managing skills" probably won't be needed. DJing? I can swing a dead cat and get a DJ so that's no help. So your wants far outweigh what you bring to the camp. In short, good luck on finding a camp that isn't pay for play. Look I'm sure you're nice people but to say you can't help beyond the minimum because of "travel" and "commitments" smacks of elitism. AuntiM is right, your RV is all you need really. But if you want more, prepare to pony up the $$$$
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Oh, they're prepared. And since three are not newbies, I'm a bit mind boggled that they can't figure out a shower and kitchen given their resources.

Dr Helix

Post by Dr Helix » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Because you have to WANT TO figure it out. I'm sorry, but i just don't get that here.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Yeah, with nothing to offer, and requirements to boot, the only camp that will have you is a Plug and Play camp, and only just for the money at that.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:16 pm

You are experienced burners. It sounds like you have a perfectly fine shower and a kitchen right in that RV with water delivery and pumping!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

zorro sings
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:37 pm

some seeing eye wrote: You are experienced burners.
So they say.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:30 pm

Luke_Man wrote:Hi,

We are a group of 7 seeking camp, a few of us have a couple of burns in our belt while 4 are virgins... The 7 of us come from different corners of the world... From Argentina, to Serbia, Belize and Houston TX. We are riding together from SF, got an RV FS31 class C w/generator... plus trailer with all the basic needs pretty much sorted.

Electronic music (techno and deep house) is what has brought us together, we are willing to work and participate, DJ and help on camp activities, some of us are very much familiar with handy work as well as organizing and project managing stuff.

We are looking to participate in a camp with decent facilities (shower/kitchen) as well as good music, [redacted, moderator note, please discuss dues via PM or email]

We are arriving to SF on the 25th and flying back on the 4th due to intercontinental travel and prior commitments... so unfortunately we can't be much help with the set up and packing of the camp.

Look forward to hear from you.
Regards,
LookAss
Un-fucking-believable.
You conveniently “can’t” help with setup or tear down - the MOST needs help.
There are seven of you and some who claim to have experience. You claim to have all your shit. Why aren’t YOU helpless fucks a camp?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:26 am

To quote my husband when I read him this post: "I don't know who they think they are, but fuck them".

7 people ARE a camp. 7 people in RVs who have all their basic needs sorted don't need a handout from another camp. Oh, I see, you just want someone to do all the work for you, and cook your meals so you can party. I'm going to go with my husband on this one.

Or find yourself a plug 'n play who'll happily take your money for you.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:28 am

DO NOT SUPPORT THE PLUG_N_PLAY CULTURE.

(this has been a public service announcement)

*bring your own shower/kitchen/stuff*
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Luke_Man

Post by Luke_Man » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:31 am

gaminwench wrote:DO NOT SUPPORT THE PLUG_N_PLAY CULTURE.

Indeed not supporting a plug and play, I'm with you on that.

We just want to connect with a bigger group. I'm pretty amazed on some of the responses that seem oriented more towards hate and criticism than help... not the playa spirit for sure. That said, I'm sure there's people that will be more helpful with their comments and suggestions.

Peace

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:11 am

Luke, I think the best suggestion you got at this point is to plan on camping as your own camp. You have a 32 foot RV with a generator, pulling an additional trailer behind it. That alone is taking up a good chunk of someone's theme camp real estate.

By camping in the open camping area, you can take the space you need for the group and not be dependent on anyone for food or showers. Set up your own by the RV. Bring a few camping stoves and propane.

For the few in the group who have been to the playa before, this should all make perfect sense.

I hope everyone coming has read the Survival Guide and the First Timer's Guide. This is so important so no one in the group is under any false impression that services will be provided for them. The only thing for sale is ice and coffee. Also, the footprint of Burning Man is 7 square miles (11 km). Bikes are imperative if you want to see the far reaches of the art installations. Spending the week walking gets very old.

I hope this information helps.

Luke_Man

Post by Luke_Man » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 am

Sham wrote:Luke, I think the best suggestion you got at this point is to plan on camping as your own camp. You have a 32 foot RV with a generator, pulling an additional trailer behind it. That alone is taking up a good chunk of someone's theme camp real estate.

By camping in the open camping area, you can take the space you need for the group and not be dependent on anyone for food or showers. Set up your own by the RV. Bring a few camping stoves and propane.

For the few in the group who have been to the playa before, this should all make perfect sense.

I hope everyone coming has read the Survival Guide and the First Timer's Guide. This is so important so no one in the group is under any false impression that services will be provided for them. The only thing for sale is ice and coffee. Also, the footprint of Burning Man is 7 square miles (11 km). Bikes are imperative if you want to see the far reaches of the art installations. Spending the week walking gets very old.

I hope this information helps.
Thanks Sham, appreciate the advice... still will try to find a bigger group since last year we had an awesome connect with so many people in our camp and beyond as well. The bikes for sure, since a few members of the group are flying intercontinental they'll get their bikes at playa bikes most likely.

On the survival guide comment, totally agree, we've done some indoctrination with regards BM, the 10 principles what it is and what is not...

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:09 am

Luke, man, this is honest criticism based on what you posted. As a group, you're willing to throw a lot of money at camp facilities. That rubs many burners the wrong way. You say you'll pitch in, but you cannot arrive early nor stay late. The organizing is happening now, not on playa. You do not mention that any of your group is interested in volunteering outside DJing. In a big ass RV with a trailer, at that. Not the playa spirit?* Please read what you wrote with a critical eye.

The usual way to find a big camp is to peruse last year's theme camp listings, contact them individually, and explain why you love what they do, and how your group can be an asset, outside being able to pay high dues, and see if they are accepting new members. Do not send blanket generic emails. Some camps do recruit here on eplaya, but in most cases, you need to find them. Best wishes on finding what you are asking for.

*Everyone's "playa spirit" can be defined in a thousand ways. 70,000 ways as a matter of fact.

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:46 am

Someone mentioned having water delivered and RV pumping....Don't count on it unless you make arrangements and pay in advance. There are some nice changes to 'outside services'. Hopefully this will reduce the amount of damage done to the playa from spillage. Consequently, it should cut down on the unprepared douche canoes in RVs. (Nothing against RVs. I'll be in one myself someday.)
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 am

The reason for the passion is that your post represents some of the trends destroying the event, though you might not have realized it or rationalize it does not apply.

The BMORG in my observation generally only makes slight adjustments but otherwise lets the event sort of evolve itself. They have started making changes in just the last just a few years.

The BMORG itself has commented that the sprit and community is declining, moved to limit outside services promoting plug n play camps who charge for services and support fly-in campers, have appointed "cultural ambassadors" to the plug n play camps to reenforce participation, increased participation requirements for placed camps, tripled? the restoration crew which spends the month after the burn picking up litter which never should have been there at all because burners think it's a festival, spent heavily on a court case to limit the number of police on playa otherwise justified by the drug and other bad festival behavior, and limited the announcement of DJ schedules to discourage festival crowds seeking deep house, techno and other EDM.

While the BMORG has made slight changes, many burners are very unhappy with the direction of the event and are searching for the right combination of more serious changes. That is represented in the comments.

BTW here is what is going on with outside services - viewtopic.php?f=523&t=86514&hilit=outside+services
Last edited by some seeing eye on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Luke_Man

Post by Luke_Man » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:07 am

AntiM wrote:Luke, man, this is honest criticism based on what you posted. As a group, you're willing to throw a lot of money at camp facilities. That rubs many burners the wrong way. You say you'll pitch in, but you cannot arrive early nor stay late. The organizing is happening now, not on playa. You do not mention that any of your group is interested in volunteering outside DJing. In a big ass RV with a trailer, at that. Not the playa spirit?* Please read what you wrote with a critical eye.

The usual way to find a big camp is to peruse last year's theme camp listings, contact them individually, and explain why you love what they do, and how your group can be an asset, outside being able to pay high dues, and see if they are accepting new members. Do not send blanket generic emails. Some camps do recruit here on eplaya, but in most cases, you need to find them. Best wishes on finding what you are asking for.

*Everyone's "playa spirit" can be defined in a thousand ways. 70,000 ways as a matter of fact.
Thanks, and indeed I'm doing that in parallel, just trying to leverage all avenues as much as possible... we are willing to volunteer to do pretty much anything that's needed. We are arriving late Saturday/Early Sunday and leaving early Tuesday... I'd love to come earlier and stay longer but due to international flights and other logistical challenges we are bound to that time frame.

Dr Helix

Post by Dr Helix » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 am

Luke_Man wrote:
AntiM wrote:Luke, man, this is honest criticism based on what you posted. As a group, you're willing to throw a lot of money at camp facilities. That rubs many burners the wrong way. You say you'll pitch in, but you cannot arrive early nor stay late. The organizing is happening now, not on playa. You do not mention that any of your group is interested in volunteering outside DJing. In a big ass RV with a trailer, at that. Not the playa spirit?* Please read what you wrote with a critical eye.

Thanks, and indeed I'm doing that in parallel, just trying to leverage all avenues as much as possible... we are willing to volunteer to do pretty much anything that's needed. We are arriving late Saturday/Early Sunday and leaving early Tuesday... I'd love to come earlier and stay longer but due to international flights and other logistical challenges we are bound to that time frame.
Volunteer? Sure, there's plenty of ways to do that. Gate, Greeters etc, all have openings for volunteers. Maybe you should look into that.

Dr Helix

Post by Dr Helix » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:08 pm

In the spirit of helping, Here's a post that is exactly what you're looking for. Good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=523&p=1157217#p1157217

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 pm

Luke_Man wrote:
gaminwench wrote:DO NOT SUPPORT THE PLUG_N_PLAY CULTURE.

Indeed not supporting a plug and play, I'm with you on that.
I'm pretty amazed on some of the responses that seem oriented more towards hate and criticism than help... not the playa spirit for sure.

The playa spirit is exactly what you heard from burners when you came here looking for a plug & play. DJs flying in after someone else sets up and tears down and paying to stay at a camp where someone else did all the work to arrange the amenities - THAT’S not the playa spirit. That’s plug & play.

If you’re bringing an RV, can’t you bring a few extra bikes for your camp mates? That’s the kind of thing people who really “help” do. That you seem unwilling to even help your own friends with some logistics doesn’t seem like you’re that into helping for real.
You have an RV, it has a shower, and you have a trailer. Can’t you haul in your own water and haul out your grey water? I mean, I do it.

But yeah... the culture of the event is fading, fast. It became a unique and ultra cool thing because of how tough it was and how participatory it was. The more you guys water it down, well, the more you guys water it down.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:48 pm

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

Jherpa
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Popo Ville

Post by Jherpa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Luke - Radical Self Reliance is the Golden Rule so hopefully you can reflect on your request to come eat, shower and spin tunes after the build and before the strike. I'm a TCO so our core crew puts so much time and effort into organizing/building a camp and then striking/storing a camp. We have little time to enjoy their burn but we do it because we love giving and watching others enjoy. Think about this reality and put your request in perspective to this. Now I agree that your best bet is to be your own camp and figure out what the 7 of you will "give" to others. If you're a DJ, then bring and give music. If you're handy, visit other camps and "give" them your time and offer to fix things. If you're from other countries, "give" cultural education. Through those experiences, you may find a good fit for 2019 and then plan your international travel to be part of build or strike. Or whatever.....join Katie Perry and plug and play for a price to pay.

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”