BRCU welcomes new campers!

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2018.
Princess_Pee_Foot
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Black Rock Center for Unlearning

BRCU welcomes new campers!

Post by Princess_Pee_Foot » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 am

Hello, beautiful, shiny, not-yet-dusty human! My name is Emily and I’m just here to let you know that the Black Rock Center for Unlearning is accepting new (virgin and veteran) campers for the 2018 event. We would love for you to join us.

Each year, we reserve space to allow new campers to find their home on playa. Started by mostly virgins in 2009, acculturation and radical inclusion are near and dear to our hearts. We’ve learned a lot over the years and we’re here to help ease some of those lessons for you.

In the past ten years, we’ve amassed a family that spans the globe, with camp leads in Reno, San Diego, Chicago, Denver, Honolulu, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Oxford and London. And yeah. I did just OMIT THE OXFORD COMMA AFTER THE WORD “OXFORD.” I hope you enjoyed that. Anyway, we’ve got campers coming from many more cities around the world. And while we love to reunite on playa, we’re a family throughout the year. We talk frequently. We visit each other. We travel together. We go to each other’s weddings. We support each other in divorce. And while that all sounds really cute, I assure you we’re still a little dysfunctional. We’re snarky and smart assed and we send nudes. We welcome all, but we might frighten the faint of heart. (We love you, though, faint-hearted people! You should come anyway.)

Our campers go on to do all sorts of exciting things. Some of us return every year and help continue to build this awesome family, contributing within camp. Some of us ranger. Some of us build big art. Some of us volunteer in other ways. Some of us have moved on to other camps. Some of us have gone off to start additional theme camps. But we’re all still connected. It’s pretty fucking awe inspiring, honestly.

And while I could wax poetic about that all day long, it’s not why we’re here, it’s just a really neat byproduct. We’re here to bring joy, connection, relief, entertainment and a sense of belonging to the playa. BRCU operates a 24-hour bar. With 2,500 square feet of public shade, 32 feet of bar, delicious craft cocktails, 100 fabulously interesting, charming, amazing campers, a trampoline turned cuddle puddle, a trampoline for jumping, a very exciting and interactive, multi-purpose booth, stripper pole and plenty of places to sit or lie down, we’ve got something for every citizen of Black Rock City. Whether they need a cool place to rest in the heat of the day, something tasty to whet their whistle, someone to talk to, a few minutes of fun, an hour long nap, or a cool way to interact with strangers, we’ve got it covered. And we only get better each year.

And that doesn’t just apply to the front end- we get better internally each year too. By pooling our effort and resources, we’re able to build an awesome home for ourselves. We work hard, play hard. And we do it all ourselves. No chefs, no sherpas, no clean up crew. Each camper works 2 shifts, generally either helping to prepare a meal or helping to clean up after one. By doing this, we all get to enjoy two amazing meals every day of the event. And I mean really amazing. From banana pancakes and breakfast burritos to pan seared filets, incredible vegan curry, and a full blown Thanksgiving dinner. Plus, every meal has vegetarian and gluten free options. We’re less successful in accommodating a dairy free diet, but we do our best to ensure there are dairy free alternatives at each meal. Oh. And we serve coffee every morning. And bacon. And champagne. I’m not kidding. This year, we’ve added second breakfast. You know. Because we’re hobbits. (To be clear, bacon and champagne is breakfast. Second breakfast will follow in the form of such delightful things as biscuits and gravy, breakfast quesadillas, and a bagel buffet complete with lox, veggies, and kale salad.)

We’re also able to make our camp international-travel-friendly. By centrally organizing a meal plan, the bar booze, and having water delivered in bulk, we’re able to cut down the amount of crap you have to haul to the playa yourself. You don’t have to create a meal and bring supplies or contribute x number of bottles of vodka or figure out how to carry the 10 to 20 gallons of water you’re probably not going to go through onto the burner express or the back of your ride share’s subaru.

We’ve also got private potties that are cleaned and pumped daily, a simple camp shower that uses gravity fed solar shower bags, and 100 people who have decades of collective knowledge and experience in many and varied fields. That means there’s a mallet for you to hammer your tent stakes and there’s someone who can advise you how to handle the challenge you’re facing. There’s someone who knows where the kitchen manual is and how to light the paella pan. There’s a bigger first aid kit than the one you brought and someone who knows how to get to medical. The list goes on.

If you have any questions, I’m here to help. You can message me here or email me at whatsunspoken@gmail.com

<3e
Attachments
21463052_10155536635990535_5376171026526332990_n.jpg
29594477_901318599388_3874097067365255811_n.jpg
29542191_901318903778_3371855267066067196_n.jpg

remimarcelle
Burning Since: 2018

Re: BRCU welcomes new campers!

Post by remimarcelle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:32 pm

Hello, Remi here. Virgin for Burning Man 2018. I've sent you a PM

sophthp
Burning Since: 2018

Re: BRCU welcomes new campers!

Post by sophthp » Wed May 09, 2018 4:30 am

Hi virgin burner also,I have sent you and email :)

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”