Placement of the camp?

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2018.
JMS
Burning Since: 2018

Placement of the camp?

Post by JMS » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi,
My first burn and I am looking to join a camp.

While a lot of the camps look and feel amazing and like a complete fit to what I might be looking for, I would like suggestions for the best way to decide which camp to choose from.

Does the placement of the camp really matter, in terms of accessibility from the rest of the playa, so is it better to be somewhere around 6 or anywhere is the same. Also, better to be closer to the esplanade or its the same to be anywhere in the further streets...? Also how bad are the sound issues?

Should I join a smaller camp, medium sized camp or a large camp? I hope to get to know the camp members well and intend to be able to contribute as much as I can and really be part of the camp family, while also get enough time to wander about in the playa, with fellow campmates? What are the average camp dues? Any other tips on how to pick a camp would be really helpful.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Placement of the camp?

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:55 pm

JMS Welcome to ePlaya. First thing I would suggest that you go to the greeters section and introduce yourself.

Then make a mental list of the things you will contribute to a camp. The good camps aren't interested in just bodies that pay dues. Can you cook or tend bar? Can you wield a hammer and saw a board? Do you excel at foot massage? Where do you live and when are you arriving? Start looking at the camps on this and other boards. Find the ones that sound like 'your tribe'. Contact them and sell your attributes.

It doesn't matter where they are placed. The map has been turned inside out and shaken this year. Everything is moving around. Bring earplugs.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Your post sounds very much like you're assuming all these camps are begging for members and you just have to pick which one you want to join. That's not entirely true. Many camps worth their salt aren't going to just let some random person in who happens to like where they are placed.

Find a camp you like, reach out to them, get to know them, and if they decide you're worth having camp with them then great. Location basically shouldn't even be on your list of priorities.

Good luck!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:16 pm

JMS,

Joining a camp is NOT EASY.

This is not some resort where you just show up and sign in.

I know I’m going to sound harsh, but you are in over your head (based on all of your posts). You have no clue where you are going and what you have signed up for.

Fly yourself out to the US. Rent a car. Figure out how to drive on the right side of the road. Buy the camping gear, food and water, go.

Camp out in open camping and have a good time meeting new people.

Any other path will be a clusterfuck for a variety of reasons.

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:19 pm

My camp is small in size but huge in spirit. We probably annoy more people for our size than most camps twice our size. But does size really matter?

Some people like big social groups, eating together, various cliches and circles to hang with, etc. Some other people might want a more personable group, finding more social action in the City, while avoiding potential drama back in camp. Duties, dues, perks, meals, showers...

But, let me tell ya, the camps promised meals and showers might leave you wanting..

Placement can make a difference but it is loud as shit and action is happening everywhere, or you have a duty before you...

My camp repeatedly gets placed by the porta potties, under the blue light, along 6oclock. This is because we kick ass and rule the portos. The thing is, the wind blows parallel to 6, not cross our camp. We get the beautiful human cross flow while dodging the offal smell. But lesser enlightened beings look at our placement and only see shit holes... But, seriously, it rules.

Any idea how many late night drug deals go down between the porta potties and my attempts at sleep?

So it is hard to actually judge the value or comparable worth of a location.

When I was young and naive and cooler than I am now, I camped out on the edge, as far as I could from... Ha, like I said, away from anything is closer to some other scene...

My Burn has been yanked all over the place, various camps, places, etc. It's different. But it all kicks ass.

As others have said, you have no idea, but what a place and opportunity for you to enjoy and relish that.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:34 am

There is no guarantee.
Expect nothing.
And every thing.
Say YES!!!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by torrey.smith » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 am

Token wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:16 pm
JMS,

Joining a camp is NOT EASY.

This is not some resort where you just show up and sign in.

I know I’m going to sound harsh, but you are in over your head (based on all of your posts). You have no clue where you are going and what you have signed up for.

Fly yourself out to the US. Rent a car. Figure out how to drive on the right side of the road. Buy the camping gear, food and water, go.

Camp out in open camping and have a good time meeting new people.

Any other path will be a clusterfuck for a variety of reasons.
Or, hitchhike in with a single backpack a week early to Sextant, get a giant impact wrench immediately thrust in your hands, become a high flyer building our tower alongside Heavy Equipment, operate the Zipline from 5 stories up, work your ass off for Strike, and survive our 4-day strike team after party in Reno, before hitchhiking to SF and flying out of the country.

There are many ways to do a first burn :wink:
Sarge

JMS

Post by JMS » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi everyone.. thanks for posting your reply..
ok firstly...I apologize if anyone thought that I dont wish to contribute or participate and am looking for a plug and play camp or think that joining a camp is easy and I have a lot of options... did not intend to come across like that... but i understand how many might get the feeling...
Im a virgin burner coming from very far specially to be a part of BM and truly believe in the concept and community and principles of BM...from whatever I have read and learnt about BM I'm really excited to experience my first burn, but I am also a little concerned about being able to do it right... (although I do understand that theres no wrong way to do it) but I am not sure if I'll ever get the chance to be a part of BM again (I hope do every year) but realistically I am not sure...logistically and economically it's not very viable for someone coming from India considering the tickets and travel and supplies, etc etc. Hence, I want to be sure about everything and make sure I am well prepared much before I even get there... Thought it would be nice to get veteran burners views and ideas about various things that might add to the experience or help me make better informed and planned decisions...
I plan and hope to contribute to any camp that I may join in every way that I possibly can and volunteer everywhere possible.. and hope to meet some amazing people while doing so... and looking for a camp that really fits well with me and where I know I can be a good fit... I want to be part of the build and tear down and do shifts at the camp...and also see as much of the playa as possible... So thought maybe the location of the camp and accessibility from the rest of the playa might make a difference... still unsure if that matters.. but if I dont understand that I am willing to take chances... People and camps have been very welcoming and warm.. and I really see the entire BM as one big camp rather than numerous smaller camps...
Ive already signed up for shifts with Temple guardians and Everywhere camp...
I apologize once again if I came across as I am expecting a resort or everything done for me without giving back or contributing in anyway... thats absolutely not how I intend to experience my first burn...
Thanks...still welcome all the help, ideas and advise that anyone can give... and I promise to come find you and give you all hugs nonetheless... :)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:28 pm

JMS, Welcome and don't apologize. It sounds like you're doing the best you can. Does it matter where the camp is placed? Well yes and no. It's great to be in the center of the universe but anywhere is fine. Since you're coming from India you may arrive with no bicycle. There are a limited amount of bright green bikes scattered around the city for getting here to there. If you can hitch a ride on an art car it will take you somewhere but not exactly where you wanted to go. Walking around will make you prepare better before you leave camp. (Extra water, a light jacket, snacks etc...) Placement isn't something to worry about. We'll hug you in the dust.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi JMS,

Everyone, let me say that again, EVERYONE travels far to Burning Man. That is the point.

For some it’s a 3 hour drive, for others it’s 48 hours driving.

Some people fly in from far away. Then they either drive or ride. But the all have a way from the airport to BRC which is 3 hours of driving away.

You need to figure out what you will do when you land at the airport.

Good Luck.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:49 pm

JMS wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:25 pm
So thought maybe the location of the camp and accessibility from the rest of the playa might make a difference... still unsure if that matters.. but if I dont understand that I am willing to take chances... People and camps have been very welcoming and warm.. and I really see the entire BM as one big camp rather than numerous smaller camps...
At BRC (Black Rock CITY) there is an overall BM community, but BRC has neighbourhoods, placed camps of many sizes, smaller collections of campers and individual camps/campers. Each is different. And the smaller collections of campers and solos end up creating sub-neighbourhoods, even adhoc camps, as people talk, visit, socialize, etc.. It's different from year to year, and even fluxes throughout the week. So it could/would matter (some) which neighbourhood you're in, except we've been warned the placed camp locations are getting mixed up this year, so who knows what effect that will have; the general guidelines of neighbourhood 'flavours' of prior years is suspect. If you end up somewhere you don't like (i.e., too noisy...), move. If you see somewhere you'd like to be, move (but ask if you can camp there - some space is reserved). You decide if your investment in the time & effort to move is worthwhile.

When you get out of your camp to explore, just go explore.
It is highly unlikely you'll get to see all of BRC. In fact, as there is so much going on all over, it's impossible to see/do/explore it All as you can't be everywhere at once.

Do look at the 2017 map of BRC, then an aerial view, then get a look at a recent year's overhead view that's fairly close up; there's a lot packed into a block at BRC. It's highly unlikely you'll get to see every road. BRC is so large, if you spend your time trying to do that, you're not spending your time exploring where you are but rushing onward, so you'd be spending your time passing by everything and doing nothing. The most I've managed, camping solo with no duties or others' demand on my time, is covering almost 1/3 of BRC and the playa between the arms.

The only must-do things are getting out to see: the Man (before the Burn) and the Man/Main Burn, the Temple and Temple Burn, the art on the Playa, and since you're a Virgin: Centre Camp, at least part of the deep playa (go all the way to the fence if you want) and a sunrise. That said, there are some Burners who don't go to any of those during their Burn. And when you arrive, the greeters will be giving you a guide to some planned events during the week; many of those will take place more or less at the planned time and more or less at the planned location. You can go to those, but don't be surprised if you get distracted by something else along the way there, and end up doing something else.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:46 am

torrey.smith wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 am
.....survive our 4-day strike team after party in Reno......
after hearing the tale, this is the part that would concern me the most. :mrgreen:

Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Post by Krokodyle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:17 pm

gaminwench wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:34 am
There is no guarantee.
Expect nothing.
And every thing.
Say YES!!!
Pretty much what Gaminwench said. Lots of good advice here. Best of luck to you!
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN™"

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”