Bittersweet of approved but not doable- The Flint Fix-It Fort

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2018.
AddamsonFlint
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: The Flint Fix-It Fort

Bittersweet of approved but not doable- The Flint Fix-It Fort

Post by AddamsonFlint » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 pm

* I guess sadly I need to qualify it- this was supposed to be a simple feel-good post. It's not a post requesting to have it picked it apart and find its faults. I'd simply and respectfully ask to treat it for what it is.

Hey burners. I’m posting this mostly for my fellow dreamers out there. It’s the SketchUp AutoCAD video I submitted for my theme camp. I've never built one and being a virgin burner, it was certainly a challenge. But it got approved, which felt awesome.

Unfortunately...it was also a massive amount of work. And with everyone’s work responsibilities (mine included), and the labor-resources needed, it is also hard to see a path forward this year. Naturally, that really bums me out. Had I had it already built at the start of this year, it would be very doable. But I just don't think there's enough time this go-around. The first-time learning curve was just too great.

But I thought I’d post it for the feel-good completion win at least. Any thoughts, input, constructive comments, are appreciated. Here’s a video tour. It’s not crazy long, but it’s broken up into sections if you care. Intro (0:00-1:25), Background (1:25-5:35), and the Camp Tour (5:25-end).

Two side notes:

* If there’s anyone who watches this and gets a tingle in the back of their head like, “this is doable,” I have a longer engineering video I’m going to shoot here shortly, that gives a more in-depth look into the camp design. I will post a Google Drive link in the first comment below.

* While I don’t think I have the ability to do the full theme camp, I do have serious logistical and equipment capabilities. Anyone who maybe wants or needs to take out massive amounts of stuff, OR, anyone who may want to help just build a cool camp to have out on the playa, shoot me a PM if you are interested.

I am in Columbus Ohio by the way.

(Engineering link to be posted shortly)
Last edited by AddamsonFlint on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Re: Bittersweet of approved but not doable- The Flint Fix-It Fort

Post by zorro sings » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Might be better to notify placement that "it's just not going to work" so a camp who got denied can have your spot. With a month to go you have no chance of pulling this off. And if you are a no show this year without notification you will also have no chance of ever being placed again. Good luck.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:51 pm

AddamsonFlint wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 pm

* While I don’t think I have the ability to do the full theme camp, I do have serious logistical and equipment capabilities. Anyone who maybe wants or needs to take out massive amounts of stuff, OR, anyone who may want to help just build a cool camp to have out on the playa, shoot me a PM if you are interested.
I’m confused.

Are you still going and bringing some of your equipment but can’t do the whole thing to spec

or

Are you bailing completely and no longer going?

I mean, it’s not like Placers are going to send a team of engineers to inspect and make sure you’re up to design or anything.

Now if you end up not having anything to offer, then yeah, contact placement and let them know ASAP.

zorro sings

Post by zorro sings » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:57 pm

You really need to watch the video. He has never been to the event before! Waiting for the good Captain to weigh in.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:09 pm

That is one great labor intesive...plan. Here is what I submitted for my placed camp...which will be there...
PSX_20180722_160509.jpg
If you got the people to stock a camp, go, even if these plans can't be delivered on. And if you are bailing, please let the placers know.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm thinking maybe I need to take the post down.

Have you ever be searching for something online and you click on a forum post that comes up in the results, looking for the answer.

But then as you read, you find the thread is a complete waste of your time, because the conversation just devolved into this back-and forth banter, and negative replies picking at and criticising things just for the sake of it, and have nothing to do with original reasoning for the post in the first place.

Yeah, it feels like that might unfortunately be what's gonna happen to this post.

A good bell-weather when or if you need to take a post down, is when you have to start defending and validating because of the replies that get posted. It was a positive post. It amazes me, saddens me sometimes, how much critical response permeates so easily in forums online.

I had veteran burners slated to help, I already send notice to Placement...and I built a quality sturdy camp. It's unfortunate to have to defend my post, about things that have nothing to do with it. :?

zorro sings

Post by zorro sings » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:06 pm

AddamsonFlint wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 pm

it is also hard to see a path forward this year.,,,,,,, But I just don't think there's enough time this go-around.......................... The first-time learning curve was just too great.,,,,,,,While I don’t think I have the ability to do the full theme camp,

Nothing "feel good" about the above. Meanwhile an actual real live camp, not a computer driven dream, is sitting at home because you have a spot and not them.

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Hey...your negativity really isn't needed on this post. Do you think that was the goal? To not be able to do my camp? Do you think I feel good about that? You need to chime in and state the obvious?

It has nothing to do with computers. It was a fully engineered camp, with all the materials ready, and we were ready to build it. You don't know me, my background, or the circumstances. Why do you feel such a need to bash here.

The old adage "misery loves company" is timeless for a reason. Some people just crave it.

Looking at your most recent posts...it certainly helps to paint a pretty supporting picture of that adage. I'll let your own words make the point for me....

Re: International Burners Welcomed at Hostel
"That must be some camp led by clowns like you."

Re: International Burners Welcomed at Hostel
"Wow, you can't be bothered to start your own thread? Have to hijack this one?"

Re: People Seeking Camps 2018
daniel96 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:28 pm
We could also participate a bit, but we really want to discover our first time by ourselfs.

"Greetings. You won't find theme camps this way!"

While people feel such a strong desire to spread such negativity in a forum like this is beyond me. It let's the wind out of my sails that much more, that you're an almost 20-yr veteran burner :?

This was my one-and-done response to your criticisms. I'm not going to give anymore credence to your negative and toxic content.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:55 pm

AddamsonFlint wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:46 pm
... While people feel such a strong desire to spread such negativity in a forum like this is beyond me. It let's the wind out of my sails that much more, that you're an almost 20-yr veteran burner :?
Perhaps because they have the experience, so they try to stop idiots or those without the experience from screwing up, messing it up for others or even endangering others.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

zorro sings

Post by zorro sings » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Just telling the truth. You provide quotes but not context.

On one hand you are saying, in so many words, you can't make it and on the other you are still trying to recruit campers on another thread. Not toxic to be pointing out what is obvious. You need to try again next year and not burn bridges with placement this year.

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:02 pm

I totally get the point you are making Canoe. I used throw raves, festivals, other events, back in the day. And yeah, we often had to deal with the "novice element" that would fuck up our flow.

Is it frustrating when clueless newbies come in and screw stuff up?? Of course it is. But it's "how" you deal with it. Having dealt with that concept for 20 years myself, I've learned how to deal with it.

If I had a dollar...if you had a dollar, for every post I've come across in forums online, (the topic doesn't even matter) where the veteran is "reigning in the newbie!" and "telling him how it is!"...we'd both be rich.

It's typical, cliche, and as a veteran of many things in this world, I think it's juvenile to lash out like that. As a veteran, be better- at least that's my code.

Just because I haven't been to BM, doesn't mean I can't build a camp. I did tons of research, reached out to 6 different camp builders and hopped on phone calls with them to get their advice.

I went to regional burns first....hell, we even did a practice build. I'm a professional engineer by trade (P.E.) and like mentioned, I've run events and built structures. So, I'm not your typical virgin, not to mention enlisting others who are veterans.

Naturally...someone isn't going to know right off the bat, that I'm not your typical newbie, just from one post. But that's why you shouldn't be firing at someone without solid background information, let alone without provocation. But that's just me.

*** Again, believe me, I toootally understand the newbie frustration. And as BM swells, I'm sure it frustrates a lot of you. Just know, I've seen the same thing happen to scenes that I loved as well. It is hard to manage. But that's what makes the role of a positive veteran soo much more important!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:34 pm

All that research, and prior experience with events, and yet you jump all over when people inquire about the ambiguities in your post, and point out that others could use that placed space, and warn that you may be burning bridges with Placement...
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

zorro sings

Post by zorro sings » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:29 pm

Thank you Canoe. You know our friend is very lucky no TCO of a denied theme camp has chimed in. And there are roughly 125 of them. Take this post over to Reddit, Flint. Then complain about my reactions.

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:36 pm

There's no ambiguities, and who's burning bridges? I informed placement right away when I knew. I mean, are we really making the point "omg, you can't do your camp? You're the first person ever to have this happen. Placement's never dealt with that before!"

I'm not the first person, and I don't need marched to death tribunal. I was responsible and notified them. So, if something bad happened, and I addressed it right away, what is the need to fire all these bullets my direction?

The only thing I'm jumping on is people making negative comments comments with zero information, and firing at me for no need.

Dude, this was a "hey, check out the build, let me know your thoughts...ON THE BUILD" post. Why this need to shake fingers in my direction. This post had nothing to do with any of these criticisms you feel the need to level at me.

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Let's go ahead and delete this. I'll just have to reword it to be hater-proof.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:45 pm

OK Bittersweet. You got me. I'm curious. Now I'll have to stop by and see how it turned out. Sort through the replies here and you'll find some genuinely good advice. Also read the most recent JRS newsletter. It addresses Snark. The evolution and positive value of it.

By the way. After a huge windstorm if you hurry over to my place we can do the town together. I'm amassing a magnificent portfolio of catastrophic fails. Should I include The Great Train Wreck?

One of the great things about ePlaya is you can't delete your thread unless it's right after you wrote it.

(In case you were wondering. 'Bittersweet' is now your name. It's a good one.)
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Hey Ratty,

You are right, there were a some positive pieces. 80/20 rule I guess. I tried to appeal to how Canoe felt, because I've been there and totally understand the frustration. Thought that might help, but the judgement train ran on.

Thank you for your positive contribution, it was greatly appreciated.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:57 pm

If you're at the burn please come to the Meet & Greet. All of the nice eplyans will be there. We bring food and drink and laugh with each other. It's not a very long affair. Wednesday night 6pm at Barbie Death Camp. The password is Pineapple.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Hey, thank you for the invite. I will definitely make note of it. Sucks the post can't be deleted, I'm sorry I even posted it in the first place. You this on forums all the time, people picking apart posts- I just didn't think I'd run into it here. But thanks again for the invite and see you out there...

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:05 am

Hi, Bittersweet, I'm one of the friendly ones!

Just so you know, our buddies upthread are actually being kind and generous (one in particular has shown enormous restraint of the snark, yay, *you know who you are*!)

In this situation, which has happened many times, to camp planners both new and playa-tried, one has two clear choices.
1) Forge ahead with the camp. If you have the physical infrastructure and the know-how to erect your dream, recruit folks to be in your camp and help you realize your vision. There are many looking for a place to call 'home' who could contribute, possibly this year through the interwebs; but more likely next, once they've seen the brilliance of your vision and know you in person.
2) If the mountain is too large for you this time, tell placement that you regretfully cede your space to another camp that *can* see a dream to playa fruition, and tell them that NEXT YEAR you'll be back with a solid plan.

No one here, in this thread, snarked at your plan, or for being enthusiastic, or for having a vision bigger than you could, as a newbie, manifest.

Most here would say (maybe not to your face) that it is sheer madness, coming to this event for the first time and trying to create something based upon internet (not-feet-in-the-dust) information.
Come along, read the dusty room, then decide on a course of action with some real life knowledge at hand.

I, for one, applaud your get-up-and-go attitude; enthusiasm for the win!

I do hope your first playa experience (whatever that turns out to be) blows your mind, in a good way.

See you at the Meet-n-Greet on Wednesday!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:37 am

Mod hat on: Here's the thing about eplaya, threads are not deleted or locked because you don't like the outcome of the discussion. If it devolves into nasty personal attack territory, then yes, but otherwise the "stand by your words" part of the guidelines is in place. For everyone. There's enough snark on eplaya to warrant its own topic in the Overview forum.

Mod hat off: You had a grand vision, and it wasn't feasible. That's okay. As long as you do what you need to do with Placement, that's okay too. I take it you are still attending? Great, I hope we meet in the dust. Take heart, eplaya and the playa are different animals.

Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Post by Leo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:06 am

Adamson,
I applaud your ambition to build a camp as a burgin. Is it a good idea? I don't think so. The playa is a harsh and unforgiving environment. IMO it's a good idea to spend your first year wandering and seeing everything there is to see, getting a feel for the playa, then develop your camp for the next year. Being a P.E. is a benefit, as you are aware of designing structures for extreme wind loads.

The opinions and snark you receive from Eplaya are free and worth twice the price. Don't be so "thin-skinned". You tossed your idea out for some feedback and you have received some sage advice buried in the snark.
Best Regards,
Leo

Token

Post by Token » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:28 am

Oh man this is hilarious!

I’m making some popcorn for this one.

The damn video wouldn’t play in Safari on the iPhone BTW so I had to load up Chrome to finally see it.

So, let’s jump into your first bulleted request: is it doable - fuck yeah. If the shade structures are pre-fabed and you got the materials, half dozen folks can whip it up 2 days, tear it down in one.

If the structures are not pre-fabed but you have all the shade material, you may need couple-four extra folks to cut lumber and drive some posts.

First thing I’d ditch is the whole “fort” concept. Too much stigma around that with PnP camps. Let the fucker breathe. The small fence thing for the private area is sufficient and Just coral the machine shop.

Next is the whole shower and plumbing thing - waste of time and effort when you can take a perfectly good shower with a $20 solar camping shower bag. Keep that simple.

Now to the butt-hurt part.

Let me be a mirror for you here.

You record a video patting yourself on the back for how awesome you are, how difficult it was to master sketchup, and what an affirmation it is for a first timer to get placement. It’s both entertaining and distracting at the same time. We get it, your proud of the effort and results.

You post the video and are waiting for the accolades but instead you get practical advice on the placement quagmire. Most of which BTW were aimed at making sure you don’t get blacklisted by BM cuz your camp and service does sound fucking sweet.

Yeah, ZS has a strong opinion on the whole thing but he really gave it to you straight, no snark, just a direct statement.

Speaking of snark, where the fuck is it? I don’t see it at all.

This is a “unintended consequences” and “failed expectations” situation, not snark. If you want snark, search for the “Zorb” thread and laugh your ass off.

So you can cry in your milk or kick it in gear and get shit done and chalk this down as a “learning the ropes” episode.

Beware, you are in danger of ...

See, that last part with the meme - now that is fucking SNARK!

zorro sings

Post by zorro sings » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Thanks Token, Some of my feelings exactly. I want to make peace with Flint here. Someday he may be next door and I might/will need something fixed.

Anyway you started in April announcing your plans. Good. Time for feedback and recruiting. You got a lot of positive feedback ( a few warnings on the heavy load for a first timer) and an almost unprecedented endorsement by Captain Goddamit. There is always a need for repair places like what you proposed and thus you received placement most likely helped in part by your very professional and well done rendering.

Then you disappeared. Seemingly satisfied with what you accomplished there was no recruiting posts in either Spark or Eplaya. I recruited an entire camp of 10 off of Spark including two skilled construction people for my first year camp ! No posts where you asked any questions on what would certainly be a multi faceted and difficult build. In other words you used the most crucial time for actually building a camp doing something else.

Fast forward to July 22nd. Thirty days out for a lot of camps. You announce that this camp, barring a miracle, probably won't happen. Of course that was secondary to the video but Token handled that aspect of this rather curious case well.

Most important irritant, to me obviously, of your post was your seemingly cavalier attitude towards the idea that the address you would be leaving vacant could not STILL be used by one of the many camps, many long time, that were denied placement. And that was where I have been coming from the whole time. I speak for those people. Do the right thing. Tell placement now you cannot do this properly. Now. Come back next year having learned what you have learned.

Make sure you come to the event anyway as many have suggested. Have fun. See Black Rock City. A most amazing place. Stop in Hostel and say hello. We will give you a special ! Once you get back to Buckeye Land (native of Findlay myself) you will shake your head and wonder "How did I think I knew anything about this event".

Token

Post by Token » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:14 pm

And you got a great fucking Playa name in the process.

Bittersweet!

That there is totally worth all the aggravation my man.

You gone done good, now go have some fun and meet the FKOs and Villains in dusty hell.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:53 pm

zorro sings wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Do the right thing. Tell placement now you cannot do this properly.
Just FYI in case you missed it, Flint did mention a few posts ago that he'd informed placement as soon as he knew he couldn't make it happen.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:35 pm

He's doin it right. It sure is fun though to get a few more cracks of the whip on his bare ass. (Pardon my crudeness.) There are virtually hundreds of years of playa experience reading this thread. We are all used to taking turns on some newbie. Bittersweet, take it as a compliment. If you weren't worth it we would ignore you.

(I realize it's only 3:30 but it's 5PM somewhere.)

Arthur Schopenhauer

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:35 pm

Wow...where to begin. First I guess, let me put the keyboard down and apply some more balm to my severely chapped ass. The short reply is yeah...I definitely could have done some things different and better in this post. (Darn eplaya for not allowing edits! lol)

The first and biggest mistake was that I should have worded the post compleeetely different and just put the technical video. You see, I used the same post from my Ohio Burners FB group, where I know a lot of people, which linked to the video I had put up for my friends. The problem is that, that was geared towards friends and people that might not know BM or anything about camps.

Here, it's mostly veterans (duh), people who already know what I was explaining, and most don't know me from Adam. And so naturally that set it up for a toootally different perspective (and response), then what was intended. And so it fell flat on its face, which was my fault :?

And perspective is important. In that same vein though, I took issues with some of the critical replies simply because of the "tell me something I don't know" variable. All of the flack about what I should do or shouldn't do, should have done or shouldn't have; it's not like I didn't know these things.

Should I have built my camp? Of course. Did I want to not build it? Of course not. But restating the obvious to me, adding in that I'm taking from others that didn't get approved, didn't contribute anything to the conversation- it just stood as criticism which very understandably is going to be perceive as tearing someone down.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, I get the frustration. With as big as BM is getting, I can only imagine the volume of stupid shit caused by newbies that don't care about the Principles

But that was also what really got me heated about the notifying Placement stuff. I talk in my video about the fire lane design, which has to be 16ft, and a few other strict camp regulations. I went to insane lengths to be as absolutely learned as possible about every facet of camp building.

After putting in all that effort, to think I'd just whiff and say "fuck it" when it came to telling Placement...was absurd to me. Like, I simply would never do that. But having reiterated that, several posts later, I was still having to defend against something levied at me that I hadn't even done (not telling Placement). Naturally, I think that would frustrate anyone. But then to be doubly faulted for getting bent out of shape about it, was just gas on the flames.

But coming full circle, I certainly felt better reading the replies today, then I did going to bed last night, especially with no way to hit the delete button :)

I am very appreciative to Token for the dual-perspective insight of the post; both the gung-ho optimism and tips on the front end, and the sobering but tactful real-talk on the back end.

And reading the beginning of Zorro Sings's last post (along with the rest of it), certainly went far in restoring my faith in what my friends say is one of the most positive communities in the world. That is very much my type of people. :wink:

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:04 pm

One of us,
One of us,
Gooble gobble, gooble gobble.

Arthur Schopenhauer

kowtow
Burning Since: 2014

Post by kowtow » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:34 am

Welcome Bittersweet! And welcome to ePlaya. You really gotta love this crew. It's like every character in Rocky Horror Picture Show, or the Adams Family, you'll eventually get familiar with each personality and when you see a persons avatar, you'll be like "oh fuck, here we go again" or "thank bloody hell someone to rescue me" it's all part of the fun and mischief.

Welcome to your first year. So you're coming from Ohio, what are your plans for BRC this year, beyond the obvious? When are you arriving? Where do you plan on hunkering down in the city? How much are you bringing with you to TTITD?

This will be my first year as a "placed camp", so I can speak from newb experience and reiterate a lot of what other long-time burners have mentioned. You sound like you have the same passion I still have for this crazy experiment in the dust. Below is how I navigated getting to become a placed camp this year. It worked for me, but everyone does it differently.

First year - Go all out with what you are capable of bringing-alone, join a placed camp even and let them throw experience, support and stories your way, that's how you learn. Volunteer with one of the support services the city provides: Playa Info, Lamplighters, Temple Guardians, Census, Center Camp Cafe, ARTery, Artica, etc. that's a great way to learn, grow and give back. Once you hit the dust, enjoy everything BRC has to offer TO you. Be a whore and enjoy what's there for you. You've researched, but until you experience your first year you never truly have an appreciation for what the city has to offer, or just exactly what the challenges are as well.

Second year - Bring everything you brought the year before and step it up if possible. This year you bring something grand, but still don't worry about placement, just stick it in the sector you want to be near. You can still get in early and get the pick of the open areas by volunteering to assist with one of the support services that allows you to get in early while providing setup support for them. Shine as an unplaced camp, this will really be rewarding and let you know what your capabilities are without anyone else's assistance.

Third year - Navigate the placement world and maybe even as a food services camp. This is when you can break out your project management skills, because as you know you're on the hook with Placement. One thing to note with your big ideas, others who are coming with you may not and probably won't share the same passion.

I'm in this situation for 2018. Our camp has 10-12 people and there is one person doing the vast majority of all the work - me (or I'm sure in your case it's you), so be ready for that to be the case. It can be frustrating as hell, but if it's your passion to have a placed camp don't let anything stifle that. In my situation this year, I'm way over budget and seriously understaffed, but I planned for it back in February and it's going to happen come hell or high water.

I should have known about the 'couch burners' in the camp. These are the majority of the camp who have lots of opinions. These are the people who when it comes to striking a hammer, laying out camp, applying for a food permit, buying thousands of food items, or even just trolling the forums to do research they are nowhere to be found. When confronted they have a million different excuses, from "I'm already over budget" to "this can't consume my every weekend" and that's something you'll need to be ready for. I was prepared for that in February and although it's changed my burn for 2018, it's also allowed me to grow and learn how to be more selective of who you want to be a part of your camp and which sparkle ponies to turn loose and let them free-range it next year.

The way the 2018 burn is happening for you is the way it's suppose to happen for you. I'd be proud to have you as a camp-mate, because it's hard to find people who have passion to follow it through even as far as you have. I've had plenty of grand ideas for what to bring to the desert that have flopped and stopped right here in these forums. Thank god for the snarky fucks, they do rain on your parade and they make you look inside and ask "How fuckin' bad do I want this?"

Again, welcome Bittersweet. Do reply or PM me with your plans for arrival and so forth and we'll make it a point to meetup and bullshit about all of this.

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”