Bittersweet of approved but not doable- The Flint Fix-It Fort

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2018.
ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Bittersweet of approved but not doable- The Flint Fix-It Fort

Post by ygmir » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:29 am

well first off: Welcome

Great thread, really.
Look how it's gone all over the place, pissing, bragging, complaining, snark, crybaby, point and laugh, helpful suggestions....it's got it all. Reconciliation and better feelings.....maby a "reacharound" ?

I can only add:
I like cheese.

also: Gaminwench is a nice one....she speaks true.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:59 am

Way to go and stretch your boundaries Bitersweet! At the end of the day, that is why many come back to the Playa and call it home.

Hang here with us a while and we will help you become a jaded smartass post-apocalyptic survive anywhere mad scientist/artist in no time.

Big shout out to Ratty for the in-theme “one of us, one of us” - big smile on that!

P.s - you can ask an Admin about a name change for your eplaya account *wink*

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 am

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a playa name find someone before they ever set foot on the playa. Well done!

AddamsonFlint
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: The Flint Fix-It Fort

Post by AddamsonFlint » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:38 pm

Token wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:59 am
Way to go and stretch your boundaries Bitersweet! At the end of the day, that is why many come back to the Playa and call it home.

Hang here with us a while and we will help you become a jaded smartass post-apocalyptic survive anywhere mad scientist/artist in no time.

Big shout out to Ratty for the in-theme “one of us, one of us” - big smile on that!

P.s - you can ask an Admin about a name change for your eplaya account *wink*

Hey man, I always be grow'in! :P And I'm already pretty sure I'll fall in love with the playa minute one of stepping on to it. It these types of scenes and communities I've been drawn to my whole life.

And you won't have to worry, I'll come fully stocked with smartass, and "post-apocalyptic survive anywhere mad scientist" is my middle name. P.A.S.A.M.S. !!! 8)

And BTW, that would be the only title I can presently think of that would be worthwhile messaging Admin for a name change to. The devolution of the thread, the predicament of my camp, negative circumstances that are bittersweet is certainly not the moniker I want to carry with me into the beginning of such a positive and wonderful place. It just wouldn't be cool. But P.A.S.A.M.S. hey, it's weird as shit, but the substance is all me.

Flint

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Pasams, Run with it. When you say it out loud it sounds like you're a magician. (Or Gomer Pyle.)
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:09 am

There’s another eplayan with an acronym for a name... FIGJAM.
Works for him.

Even though I hit the ground with a bike repair camp my first year - it was much less ambitious - I’m also gonna advise just going your first year to Burning Man and getting first hand experience about the conditions and most importantly what you really want to do while you’re there. That data is something you can’t get any other way.
Shit’s just totally different when you’re there.

About the camp plan, I’ve just got two bits of input to offer: lose the fence and if you bring your own portapotty keep it under 24/7 lockdown and not readily visible.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:56 am

Cap speaks truth.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

kowtow
Burning Since: 2014

Post by kowtow » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:39 am

Yes, definitely keep your private porto secret, don't even tell your campmates. That's what I do every burn.

Luckily they are also very lazy and will never see this post!

Token

Post by Token » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:14 am

You can try PASAMS, but I’m gonna warm you, Playa names have a way of being sticky, if you get my drift.

For the select few here on this board, you may end up Bittersweet. Maybe that be your secret Playa name.

Besides, Bittersweet shows a sensitive side and may help with making those special connections out there in the dust. ;)

zorro sings
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:49 am

Well he is still Flint on Reddit as of today. Anyway after one more try to get the camp together he did the sensible thing and gave up his spot. Bittersweet I imagine.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:16 am

Damn, I had him down in my little book as a 'must find'. Now he'll have to find us.

Flint, (secret name of bittersweet), If you really want to have fun in the fix-it field contact PBR. Playa Bike Repair. They have a unique approach to their shop. You can probably make arrangements to drop in and help with the crowd for a few hours. Also swing by the Census Lab and let us into your head. You won't regret it. See you in the dust.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Bittersweet shortens to BS. Better and better!

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:22 pm

Ha ha, omg, it does get better and better. Except...for the fact I am very much a NO-BS guy. That was why I shelved that notion as a playa name. Just not me in any way, shape, or form.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:44 pm

If I was Flint I’d just have to go with Flintstone.

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:20 am

Hey everyone,

I wanted to bring to close, my purpose in creating this post, and to say thank you to all that have contributed to it. It was a long and rocky road travelled lol, but one in which I grew a lot along the way.

Placement was more than gracious - they gave me through the weekend to come to my final official determination. I was hugely grateful for their understanding. Below is the very sad hard-to-write message I sent back to them this morning :cry: , if anyone cares to read it.

I will be on the playa starting Saturday night. And I would love to meet all of you guys!

Especially you zorro sings :wink:

Flint

"Dear Placement,

It is with a heavy heart that I've come to the final determination- I must shelve my dream for this year 😞

The optimist in me wants to keep hope alive, but the realist in me understands, that it would be far better to build an amazing camp next year, rather then anything less this year.

I certainly don't want to take from another camp more worthy of utilizing such valued space- as it's only the right thing to do. And...I definitely understand that Placement reviews first-time (and other) approved camps, for living up to what they promise, in consideration for placement in future years, for good reason.

Thank you again for giving me the weekend to sort everything out- it was more than gracious and I am hugely grateful!!!

I really hope and pray this won't hurt me for consideration next year. Designing a camp for the first time...one in which I felt would be worthy enough to make it over the rightfully high, these-guys-really-have-their-shit-together bar, to be counted among the officially placed theme camps, was a maaassive undertaking indeed. It took me months...literally lol.

But to get the nod from the powers that be at Placement, after careful consideration that comes from what I'm sure is many years of wisdom, especially on my first go-around...was a truly amazing feeling, after putting in so much hard work.

Already having this massive chunk of work completed rolling into next year, that huge head-start will go soo very far in ensuring I am ready to build something great, that I can use to gift out to the community all week long.

Everyone I've talked to has conveyed that, with the massive swelling of attendance in recent years, especially so many new people and 1st-timers, the need for more repair services on the playa is bigger than ever. But there are not nearly as many repair-camps in proportion, to wholly satisfy this need. And I definitely want to help with this challenge!

So again, thank you for everything- words can't describe how grateful I was to be considered in the first place. And please keep me in mind when you see my application next year. I will be ready, willing, and able to hit the ground running, and offer aid to any of those on the playa who find themselves in a sticky situation with broken stuff and need help.

My sincerest best, and see you on the playa.

Flint"

zorro sings
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:17 pm

9 and E my friend. Ask for Omar. I'm almost always around. Nicely written note to Placement. I am sure they and some lucky camp appreciate it very much.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks brother. I will definitely look you up when I hit town.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:34 pm

I’m certifiably a jaded old fuck burner but I gotta say you’re the kind of new burner this place needs.
I’m sure after you get back you’ll know exactly what you wanna do next year. And you’ll have a blast this year.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:35 pm

This site has a 'stand by your words' policy, you get up to 3 hours from the time of posting to make a change and after that you post updates or changes as replies. That can be frustrating and awkward, but it's more honest and genuine than allowing users to post unpopular, inciteful, or inflammatory threads and replies only to delete them later as a form of trolling or constant tweaking for the sake of popularity. It's how you move forward that counts, and to many in the community (both online and in-person) honest mistakes that you learn from are fairly easily forgiven... it's when you get caught up in arguments or let things get heated that it doesn't help to show your best side.

That said, taking the original post at face value (bittersweet & feel-good), consider the mission accomplished. On one hand, congratulations you've successfully filled out the camp placement questionnaire, and your questionnaire contained significant enough ambition and detail to have been approved/placed. On the other hand, it's bittersweet in that the plan is not something you can achieve this year.

Just getting to Burning Man is a lot more difficult and challenging than most people realize, even those who aren't coming from great distance. The less experience and fewer resources you start with (that is, first year versus a few years' worth of stuff accumulated), the harder it will be.

Yeah, a quick scan of the plans shows me a handful of things that seem a little cringe-worthy, but this isn't the place to get into any of that. This is the place to tell you to keep working on your plan for future years. Since this is a bittersweet feel-good post, this isn't the place to try and find someone who wants to help you pull off a last minute half-ass version of the vision. Your first step should be to let the placement team know your situation. It is much better to proactively let them know you won't be able to create what you said and give up the placement than it is to keep the space and start your track record off as a no-show or didn't deliver as promised. It's late, but they may be able to fill the void.

The next step is to sort out a camp plan. You can either join an existing camp, or rescale your plans for what you can do with what you've got. Since this will be your first burn, camping with an established group can give you the benefit of not only having experienced hands guide you, but you'll be able to see how others do it... after the event you can take what you've learned to start working on updates to your plan.

Once your camp plans are sorted, you can worry about making sure your personal burn stuff is sorted. Just getting to and from the playa, especially in that first year, is really hard. Don't worry about all the other stuff, the best playa gift you can bring is you. Good luck!

Token

Post by Token » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:32 pm

trilobyte wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:35 pm
... to many in the community (both online and in-person) honest mistakes that you learn from are fairly easily forgiven encouraged, nurtured, planned, and orchestrated ...
FTFY

Forgiven? Ha!

Let’s not forget the Cacophony roots of the original “Zone Trip” that became the Home of Burning Man.

My personal growth demands both honest and deliberate mistakes in others ;)

Culture Jamming must live!

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:08 pm

Token wrote:
Let’s not forget the Cacophony roots of the original “Zone Trip” that became the Home of Burning Man.

^^This!

To the OP: I'm bummed and empathetic to hear that your super badass and super ambitious plans won't be coming to fruition this year. Reading through the thread it looks like you've got all the right ideas about how to keep things realistic this year and then designs for a bigger more badass offering next year. It took me years to fulfill a vision and dream for my ambitious project. I even got accepted by the DMV and started construction in 2013 only to have the project sidelined for years due to life and simply not having enough time and resources to pull it off. Patience prevailed and in 2016 I got to bring my vision to life and to the Playa.

Like someone else said, BRC and eplaya needs more first time burners of your caliber! Welcome!

*edit: I still think you should bring the truck and leave the Jetta at home ;)

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:38 pm

Token wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:32 pm
...Let’s not forget the Cacophony roots of the original “Zone Trip” that became the Home of Burning Man.
I see it every year on Wednesday: a pile of dome spars next to a dome built about 1/3rd of the way up. Drifts of playa dust building on those piles of pipes. An experience of great value...the playa does provide...

AddamsonFlint

Post by AddamsonFlint » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:27 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:08 pm
Token wrote:

^^This!

To the OP: I'm bummed and empathetic to hear that your super badass and super ambitious plans won't be coming to fruition this year. Reading through the thread it looks like you've got all the right ideas about how to keep things realistic this year and then designs for a bigger more badass offering next year. It took me years to fulfill a vision and dream for my ambitious project. I even got accepted by the DMV and started construction in 2013 only to have the project sidelined for years due to life and simply not having enough time and resources to pull it off. Patience prevailed and in 2016 I got to bring my vision to life and to the Playa.

Like someone else said, BRC and eplaya needs more first time burners of your caliber! Welcome!

*edit: I still think you should bring the truck and leave the Jetta at home ;)

Yeah, as much as I am definitely of the mentality, fuck that for my playa name lol,  nevertheless "bittersweet" certainly encapsulates my feelings right now. The knowledge it was the right decision makes me feel a bit better, and to have some finality after teetering on the fence and being massively torn in two directions at once- that immense weight and stress off my shoulders.  It provides some good feeling of relief indeed.

At the same time, with the reality setting in, my dreams of what was going to be, have still crept back in late in the eve that past few nights and made me fairly sad. But what picks me up right away, is thinking about where I am now, with his massive body of work complete, and the insane headstart that will give me, ready to build next year. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be no shortage of aha moments at this year's burn, that I will incorporate for next year.

But I shit you not, I am going to come back for 2019 with a fucking vengeance.

Token had the idea on my other post in the transportation section, but I'm thinking I might even bring out my crawler, turned crazy mutant "Rescue Repair Rover", R3-!  :twisted:

I can go out and make house calls to someone in distress lol.  Plus, to have that thing to build with would be amazing, and make my camp even faster and easier to erect!

CAMP BUILD RETURN WITH A VENGEANCE IS MY THEME! 
20160822_185940.jpg

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:08 pm

BS, I didn't read everything, but are you still coming to the playa this year?

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”