NEW BURNER FROM CHICAGO IL

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let people know about it here.
sameerjaggi
Burning Since: 2018

NEW BURNER FROM CHICAGO IL

Post by sameerjaggi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:45 am

Hi All,

New Burner here from Chicago IL. Looking for help/contacts/people to pair up with for everything.

I am planning to make a trip this year and would be alone. By alone meaning all alone have no one to be with from home to BM and back. Would want to know if there are any people here going from Chicago IL to Burning Man this year(even if you are not from Chicago, no problem). Can drive, fly, rv anything is fine. Can camp, rv, etc. Have no issues with anything as long as I can find good genuine people I can be with for all days.

Please reply, need to be there this year even if it is all by myself

Thank You

Sham

Re: NEW BURNER FROM CHICAGO IL

Post by Sham » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 pm

sameerjaggi wrote:Hi All,

New Burner here from Chicago IL. Looking for help/contacts/people to pair up with for everything.

I am planning to make a trip this year and would be alone. By alone meaning all alone have no one to be with from home to BM and back. Would want to know if there are any people here going from Chicago IL to Burning Man this year(even if you are not from Chicago, no problem). Can drive, fly, rv anything is fine. Can camp, rv, etc. Have no issues with anything as long as I can find good genuine people I can be with for all days.

Thank You
Welcome to eplaya.
You will not be alone for long. Before you enter the gate, you'll know 50 people.
As far as people from home, you might consider joining your local burner group. You will make new friends and possibly join up with a camp. https://regionals.burningman.org/

WhiskyGrumbles

Post by WhiskyGrumbles » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:34 pm

Thank You

Hey! New burner from Omaha! I'll also be going alone, however I have gotten involved in my local regional group, I'm sure Chicago has one if not a few. Good for connections, making friends, etc.

If you plan on driving I would make sure to read up on the posts in the forums/reddit about the playa dust and how it's going to affect cars. I've also heard that rental places within even a reasonable distance from BRC/Reno are sticklers about BM car rentals.

Someone brought up Amtrak to me as an option to get there as well. Southwest or possibly Spirit Airlines since you're in a major air hub would probably have cheap-ish flights.

That being said, my name is Bri!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:40 pm

WhiskyGrumbles wrote:

Someone brought up Amtrak to me as an option to get there as well. Southwest or possibly Spirit Airlines since you're in a major air hub would probably have cheap-ish flights.

That being said, my name is Bri!
Hi Bri
If you're already hooked into your local regional you'll do fine.
You won't be able to take Amtrak to the playa/Gerlach, maybe to Reno.
Check out https://burnerexpress.burningman.org/ for travel Reno-BM. This is last years info, but 2018 will be up after a while. Shouldn't be a lot of changes,
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

zaii
Burning Since: 2011

Post by zaii » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:28 am

I'm from the area and can point you in the right direction, there are a bunch of local meetups and parties for people who want to mingle and get involved in the community. Our local regional in Michigan (Lakes of Fire) is in June so right now is a good time to jump in. :D

SpecialQue

Post by SpecialQue » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi there! I'm new and from Chicago too!

BobSpelledBackwards2
Camp Name: Hushville

Post by BobSpelledBackwards2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:57 pm

I am also new (have a ticket to BRC) and from Chicago.

It seems that there are no local burning man events in Chicago this summer. Last year (before I was actually planning to go) there were events. I went to the last two full moon jams by Foster Ave and the lake last Fall. This summer the Chicago regional page is listing no events. Don't know why.
Live in the Chicago area. I spell my name backwards because there are so many Bob's around I thought I would do something different.

robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:50 am

> Don't know why.

because people are too busy/lazy to update the website. tons of shit going on! and facebook is probably the easiest way to stay informed, for better or worse.

The most important and relevant thing- there wIll be a Newbie Night in late july (tantatively scheduled for the 7/25, location TBD but I think it will be at one of the larger/better knwon maker spaces.. details wrapping up any day now). This is a great opprotunity to pick up some tips, meet other local new comers, etc etc.

join this facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BurningManChicago/

July 14 is figment: http://chicago.figmentproject.org/

july 15 is Ranger Training

July 28 there is a Burners Without Border Fundariser:

robrob

Post by robrob » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:54 am

oh, and welcome.

i will yell at folks about being better at updating the website and calendar. it probably will not do much good :D

robrob

Post by robrob » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:12 am

BAM

http://www.burningmanchicago.org/events ... laya-bound

Wed 7/25 _ Newbie Night
An orientation for the playabound.

6:30-9:30 pm, at Pumping Station One
(3915 N Elston)

BobSpelledBackwards2

Post by BobSpelledBackwards2 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:56 am

robrob wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:54 am
oh, and welcome.
Thanks!

www.burningmanchicago.org/events/ now showing events!

I had already joined the BurningManChicago facebook group and looked at it a few times, but I guess that I didn't catch it as being a primary place for announcements. I will start watching it more closely.

This is probably the wrong place to ask (maybe I should post this to facebook, but let me try). Last year there was informal get togethers once a month or so in a bar someplace (the location changing each time). That isn't happening this summer?

Also, no full moon jams during the summer? Maybe that is a Spring and Fall thing?

Thank you again for the reply and updates.
Live in the Chicago area. I spell my name backwards because there are so many Bob's around I thought I would do something different.

robrob

Post by robrob » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:31 pm

ack. good catch. i added the remaining 2018 jams to the calendar!

and Yes! we do still do monthly happy hours. We just had junes last week. Usually they go up in FB a week or two in advance, i will make a note to the team to get those on the calendar as well.

this has been a good reminder that we need to be better about keeping this crap up to date. a shame if folks were not aware of what an active, vibrant scene we have.

robrob

Post by robrob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 am

Your monthly Chi-burners' Meet'n'Greet returns on Wednesday, 7.18!

This time we are taking a break from the bar scene, and going to the WTF Reserve, a private lot owned by our friend, and your Regional Contact, Heyu. If you've not been there, the location is between Kinzie and Hubbard, just east of Sangamon Street. The asiest entrance is on Hubbard, under the viaduct.

This outdoor event will be BYO, and that may include drinks, food, and camp chairs to sit in!

Come hang out! Catch up with friends, make some new ones, reconnect with an old one, and start strategerizing for the Big Burn!. We'll have no cover, no guest list, and no agenda beyond just fostering a casual social gathering over some food, libations, and possibly FIRE.

This is open to burners new and old, and anyone that might be interested in finding out more from the Chicago burner community.

Please invite anyone we may have missed!

ALSO:
Wanna host a Meet'n'Greet all your own? At a watering hole that YOU know? We can arrange that! A great place for a burner Meet'n'Greet should have
1) no cover
2) food available
3) easy access to the CTA, and
4) plenty of room for 30-40 burners to get together

Hit me up off list if you want to set up a meet'n'greet in your neighborhood.

Downtown Dave
B.U.R.N. Events Committee

BobSpelledBackwards2

Post by BobSpelledBackwards2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Thanks!

From your pointer above I also found it in the BurningManChicago facebook group and in the burning man regional events page.

I notice that on facebook it says the time is 8 PM - 11 PM, then in the regional events page it says 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM.

robrob

Post by robrob » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am

6:00 Venue available to us
6:30 Quoted open/start
700 ish Presentation
9:00ish SHIPPING: ChiCargo & Cobra, etc
9:30 stop, social, LNT
10:00 final LNT
10:30 exit.

BobSpelledBackwards2

Post by BobSpelledBackwards2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Sorry that I caused confusion. In my last post I was referring to the Meet'n'Greet that you had talked about in your previous post. Not the Newbie Night.

I had noticed that for the Meet'n'Greet facebook said the time is 8 PM - 11 PM, but the regional events page said 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM.

I assume that the facebook times are correct because that was posted by the host, where the the regional events page is something then copied in by the maintainer of that site.

robrob

Post by robrob » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:33 pm

ahh. got it. good call. updated. though those times are generally pretty loose any how, lol

Return to “Rideshares & Resource Sharing”