Want to share an RV?

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let people know about it here.
JMS
Burning Since: 2018

Want to share an RV?

Post by JMS » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi,
Virgin burner traveling all the way from India. Looking to join a camp too..and hire an RV with a group of people to split costs..
Flying into Reno or SFO just a little while before BM might not give me enough option or time to carry or buy camping gear and other stuff, so want to be sure I have a sturdy shelter to sleep under...
If we can get a group of people who can hire an RV and drive it to BRC, it would be ideal...
Get in touch and we can discuss this...
also any other good ideas would be appreciated...
See you in the dust...

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Re: Want to share an RV?

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:00 pm

If you haven't already booked an RV, you may be too late to get one in either of those locations.

If you are able to find one, please be aware that they do not hold as many people as advertised. "Sleeps 6", for example, often means there's a bunk bed that can only handle kids, and that the other 4 will have to sleep 2 to a bed in small beds, one of which is also a dinette/couch/whatever (meaning it makes access difficult when laid out as a bed). This means they'll be even more expensive per person than you might initially think.

Also, even if there are just 2 or 3 of you, cooping yourself up with a couple of random people you don't know in a space like that can make for a rough burn.

That said, if you fly in with a day or two to spare, that's plenty of time to get camping gear together. There are larger stores like Walmart or REI where you can buy virtually everything you need in one trip. You can even scope them out via their online websites to get an idea of availability and prices.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:07 pm

I have a trailer that "sleeps 5" and I find that 2 people are somewhat tight in there.
Also keep in mind that fresh water tanks are tiny and empty quickly, gray water and black water tanks will be full within a day or two. Expect 1 minutes showers if that is the plan.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Several people in a rented RV is almost guaranteed to be a water use problem. Trust me, no matter how much you tell them ahead of time, someone is going to use up all the water in a day because they just won’t understand the finite and small water supply.
Someone will take a long shower - and I don’t mean “long” the same way as at home when you shower until the hot water goes cold... I mean long as in too long for a motorhome on a tiny water supply.
They probably won’t mean to do wrong. They just will not understand.
They will also run the sink continuously to wash dishes, and flush the toilet every time they pee two drops.

This sounds like pessimism, but I assure you, it is how it is.
Burning Man is a long time to stretch an RV’s supplies. Increasing the number of people to more than two really taxes it.

Once that person blows through your fresh water and fills your drain tank, you’re screwed. All the “I’m sorry” and “I didn’t know” in the world won’t fix it.

I’m not telling you not to get an RV. I’m just telling you what to expect, so you can plan ahead to deal with no fresh water and no waste drain.

I carry in 80 to 100 gallons in mine, to cover two people (me & the First Mate) plus maybe the occasional friend who could use a freshen-up.
That’s about 5 gallons per person per day.

Most people at Burning Man get by on much less than that. But what sucks is when you were depending on at least SOME water from those RV faucets but someone unfamiliar with staying in an RV wipes it out.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

JMS

Post by JMS » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Sham wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:07 pm
I have a trailer that "sleeps 5" and I find that 2 people are somewhat tight in there.
Also keep in mind that fresh water tanks are tiny and empty quickly, gray water and black water tanks will be full within a day or two. Expect 1 minutes showers if that is the plan.
Thanks...thats really helpful... Im thinking im just going to get a tent... any recommendations for which one? If i get a larger one (which says that it sleeps 4/8 people) just for myself, would it be rude to set it up in a camp which might already have limited space or do the camps have enough space?
Do you recommend being part of a big camp in a village or a smaller camp? Does it leave enough time to wander about and explore? And im not sure how Im going to get all my stuff to my camp / tent... from Reno and then from the gate entrance...

JMS

Post by JMS » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:26 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:27 pm
Several people in a rented RV is almost guaranteed to be a water use problem. Trust me, no matter how much you tell them ahead of time, someone is going to use up all the water in a day because they just won’t understand the finite and small water supply.
Someone will take a long shower - and I don’t mean “long” the same way as at home when you shower until the hot water goes cold... I mean long as in too long for a motorhome on a tiny water supply.
They probably won’t mean to do wrong. They just will not understand.
They will also run the sink continuously to wash dishes, and flush the toilet every time they pee two drops.

This sounds like pessimism, but I assure you, it is how it is.
Burning Man is a long time to stretch an RV’s supplies. Increasing the number of people to more than two really taxes it.

Once that person blows through your fresh water and fills your drain tank, you’re screwed. All the “I’m sorry” and “I didn’t know” in the world won’t fix it.

I’m not telling you not to get an RV. I’m just telling you what to expect, so you can plan ahead to deal with no fresh water and no waste drain.

I carry in 80 to 100 gallons in mine, to cover two people (me & the First Mate) plus maybe the occasional friend who could use a freshen-up.
That’s about 5 gallons per person per day.

Most people at Burning Man get by on much less than that. But what sucks is when you were depending on at least SOME water from those RV faucets but someone unfamiliar with staying in an RV wipes it out.

Thanks...thats really helpful... Im thinking im just going to get a tent.... RVs are going to be very expensive if itll just be 2 or 3 of us.. im traveling alone anyways...so i guess tent it is then.. any recommendations for which one? not a very expensive one as I cant store it anywhere and cant carry it back to India with me either...would it be possible to sell it after? and Walmart or REI would have enough tents and options im guessing...If i get a larger one (which says that it sleeps 4/8 people) just for myself, would it be rude to set it up in a camp which might already have limited space or do the camps have enough space?
Do you recommend being part of a big camp in a village or a smaller camp? Does it leave enough time to wander about and explore? And im not sure how Im going to get all my stuff to my camp / tent... from Reno and then from the gate entrance...Thanks

catharun
Burning Since: 2016

Post by catharun » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:55 pm

You can donate your dusty tent to the local kids via the recycle folks at BRC. You want a tent with a minimum of lovely netting, because you are buying Gorilla Duct Tape and immediately (if you know what's good for you) covering every smidge of netting, minimizing the amount of fresh air entering your tent, but also the amount of you'll-never-get-rid-of-it dust (and maybe rain, turning the dust on your sleeping bag into clay). Unless you are a large person, a smaller, low profile tent catches less wind and therefore is less likely to end up in deep playa with all your gear. ("Low profile" means shorter.) Buy rebar to use as tent stakes, or long yellow plastic stakes from an Army-Navy Surplus store (to help your tent not go flying).

Return to “Rideshares & Resource Sharing”