Reno - BRC 22-Aug: Have room for LOTS of people.

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let people know about it here.
IanF
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: BRTA

Reno - BRC 22-Aug: Have room for LOTS of people.

Post by IanF » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi All,
Let's ride together on the Striking Sparks bus! (22-Aug Reno-BRC)

I'm a sound tech at Black Rock Travel Agency (BRTA) @ 05:00 and OMG why am I at the fence line corner??? (Airport). Like many of you, I have to be on playa on 22-Aug to start striking sparks to get flames of awesomeness roaring for our fellow burners, yet have not been successful in the chaos of these ride boards. I fly into Reno from Europe on the 17th, and I am not going to take a rental car to the playa. Personally will be carrying 2 bags plus gathered Amazon loot (picked up in Reno when I arrive).

So I have a proposal: Bell Limo service from Reno! They have different sized vehicles, and list Burning Man as an event so I know they are not opposed to driving (and may be on the Org's vendor list already, will check). Really, How is this different than riding BxB, aside from the fact that we can do a shopping stop as needed and get door to camp drop service. Let's share the costs, as we are all willing to do anyway.

Itinerary will be something like "Pickup at 11:00 at ??? in Sparks (seems appropriate)" so we all have plenty of time to pitch camp as well as get our work time in.

I have checked the listed price per hour (source: https://bell-limo.com/fleet) They have a couple of vehicles that look like they would work depending upon level of interest. This will be a fair share cost deal, everyone contributing equally (note, right now all "costs" are estimates only based upon # riders at 75% capacity and estimated charge for 6 hours, and does not include tip (for driver, not me).

This offer closes 2-Aug midnight Reno timezone, so I can call the limo company Friday 3-Aug and start arranging (pleading, cajoling, whimpering, etc), with money xfr via paypal timing dependent upon how much the compay wants in advance. Nothing is guaranteed until then, but until I know the interest level I can't know what to reserve.

This is One Way Only, plan on finding your own way back out! You must have WAP, ticket proof, and be at least this "T" tall to ride this ride, but you knew that already.

Vehicle options

0) 14 seat Hummer Limo (my personal favorite!) 8 Riders, about $128, 10 riders about $110 (I don't know how much luggage trunk space it has...) And just think of all the cycles on the roof!
1) 13 seat van (claims 10 if luggage), 8 riders, $75
2) 21 seat mini bus (We get to ride the SHORT bus!!!) Ala hotel courtesy van style. Website lists price per hour same as van (really!) 16 riders cost is < $40.
3) 29 seat long bus (now this is getting silly), 22 people, < $30.
4) > 22 people... Forget it. Let's charter a plane instead.
Bigger than this I will leave to the Org for this year.

Please post here if you are interested in sharing this ride! If you have interest in the 21st instead, that's a possibility (my WAP is flexible), but it will be going by the 22nd at least and not later, sorry. FYI, No, I am not affiliated with the limo company, nor will I be making any profit on this.

See you in the dust!
Slo Ian
BRTA 05:00 and OMG! (At airport)

Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What’s a sun-dial in the shade?” – Benjamin Franklin

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Reno - BRC 22-Aug: Have room for LOTS of people.

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:03 pm

The Hummer limo is probably the worst vehicle choice for this particular mission. It’s probably their nicest rig, don’t count on strapping bikes to its roof.
It’s gonna have the least useable interior space.
Go with the bus.

And folks reading this, bear in mind this is the genius planning your trip...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

IanF

Post by IanF » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:26 pm

As with many of your posts, Captain, your snark is worth it's weight in gold plated poop, yet you fail to recognize the humor in others. Why do you think I would actually be suggesting the highest price/nicest vehicle as my favorite (with list index of 0 even).

Thanks for the personal attack, really appreciate it. I guess I will have to go play in some other sandbox now and leave this one to the bullies. Peace.
Slo Ian

Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What’s a sun-dial in the shade?” – Benjamin Franklin

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Attack? I said you’re a genius. Ok I apologize. You’re not a genius.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:54 pm

I wonder if the Limo company needs to be on the approved vendors list per BLM requirements.

They are entering the closure area governed by the special recreational permit but not the event itself.

Gate folks might also be dicks about it too as they don’t want a bunch of folks just dropped off at gate.

Might be worth checking on all this before you dish out the Bucks for the limo.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:07 pm

That company wasn't on the vendor list last year, so they won't be this year.
The wait at Gate, even on Wed, can be 3+ hours and you'd be charged wait time.
Gate won't let them drop you there.
If you can make it work, great.
If not, I'll still give you points for originality.

IanF

Post by IanF » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Tolken,
You have a fair point, thanks for raising it! I always appreciate constructive feedback. Towards this end I have already messaged the Org. Per the BM website info on vendors, I expect that the limo driver will have to purchase a one-time delivery ticket (refundable for 6 hours, price $990) at the box office (just like they are delivering any other freight) to drive in as I would hope to get us all the way to our camps. And no, I don't want the greeters to get upset and turn into beaters.

The limo company itself lists Burning Man as a example event on their website, which "should" mean they already know how to make it work (and which vehicles they are willing to get dusty).
Slo Ian

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:14 pm

IanF wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm a sound tech at Black Rock Travel Agency (BRTA) @ 05:00 and OMG why am I at the fence line corner??? (Airport).
Or you can eliminate all risk by spending a bit more and flying in. Flights available on 22nd at 13:00 and 15:00 hours.

https://burnerexpress.burningman.org/bu ... -bookings/

Besides, it drops you off direct at your camp!

That’s a story worth sharing back in Ljubljana or Portorož!

Good luck.

IanF

Post by IanF » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Token wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:14 pm
IanF wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm a sound tech at Black Rock Travel Agency (BRTA) @ 05:00 and OMG why am I at the fence line corner??? (Airport).
Or you can eliminate all risk by spending a bit more and flying in. Flights available on 22nd at 13:00 and 15:00 hours.

https://burnerexpress.burningman.org/bu ... -bookings/

Besides, it drops you off direct at your camp!

That’s a story worth sharing back in Ljubljana or Portorož!

Good luck.
Aha! you have found out my secret! I'm in Kanal ob Soci, north of Nova Gorica towards Tolmin, on the Soča river.

I knew about the flights, but was worried about the baggage limitations (one bag < 25 lbs), extra weight and extra bags are a maybe travel only). Not a lot of fun if I get to the playa with only a tent as my other bags don't travel with me....

Hvala lepa i lep pozdrav,
Slo Ian

IanF

Offer Closed!

Post by IanF » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:42 am

Well, Striking Sparks failed to catch fire. Due to not having enough responses this offer is now closed. :cry:

Mods, could you please change the subject line to avoid distracting people? Thanks

Slo Ian
Slo Ian

Return to “Rideshares & Resource Sharing”