Need to get a Fifth Wheel to the burn (willing to pay!)

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let people know about it here.
treyratcliff
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Walter

Need to get a Fifth Wheel to the burn (willing to pay!)

Post by treyratcliff » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Hey Burners! Trey Ratcliff (maybe you've seen some photos of mine you like!) here with a problem! :)

I have a big 'ol Fifth Wheel parked in Reno and I need someone with the right kinda truck (and the fifth wheel attachment) to help me get it into the Burn (oh, and back out when it is done). I have an early (WA) pass and would like to arrive a few days early. And I'm perfectly willing to pay...

And/or I am willing to drive if you can rent me the vehicle for that 10-day period.

It's a 2017 KZ-DURANGO G380FLF that is 43 feet long and weighs 15,000 when full of water.

...and I'm also rather entertaining during the ride. I have all sorts of stories that aren't appropriate for children.

Feel free to email me at tratcliff@gmail.com - Thanks for reading! :)

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Need to get a Fifth Wheel to the burn (willing to pay!)

Post by Token » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Trey, stranger things have happened before when it comes to BM, but darn, that is a big-ass trailer.

I wouldn’t get my hopes up. 15000 pounds is a well equipped for towing dually 1 ton diesel truck bare minimum.

Best bet is to see if anyone on the BLM permitted list can offer that service.

https://burningman.org/event/camps/deli ... providers/

Odds are that the cost will be rather steep for round trip service.

Good Luck.

AddamsonFlint
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: The Flint Fix-It Fort

Post by AddamsonFlint » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Ha ha. Token...they must have some seriously wuss trucks out your way. I guess we can rack it up to Cali emission standards? LOL Sooo just kidding!

BM newbie, but trucks w/ ass is most def my wheelhouse ;) Don't get me wrong, a dually is definitely optimal, not absolutely necessary, but optimal- especially for long hauls.

The pics below are when I went to buy my crawler/loader/backhoe. Ohio to Maine empty, but then back to Ohio, through the Catskills no less. 4000lbs for the trailer, 8000lbs for my truck, and 16,680 for my crawler. Total GVWR 28,680...through the mountains. Yes, I was a wee bit overweight- shhh, don't tell anybody. And I drove slow as mudd to be safe.

To be clear...I do NOT recommend this LOL. But I didn't just wing it either. Class VIII bed-mount, for either my gooseneck OR my 5th wheel hitch. Firestone helper bags. 4.10 axles and a 6spd manual which deeefinitely helped down the hills, mostly in 4th gear. And of course, the bread winner and holy grail of diesel engines, the 7.3L International. (yes, the 5.9 Cummins is nice too lol)

Trey- it's doable. More than doable given it would be 5,000 lbs less over flat-at-as-hell ground. I have a post in this section "Truck or TDI" and was gonna bring my gooseneck out, but didn't have a need. And the fuel cost difference between my truck and my TDI (@50mpg) is maaaassive. At 15mpg and 2306mi Columbus Ohio to BRC and back, we're talking close to a grand, just in the diesel fuel.

Your predicament has me way curious, but I think I'm too far logistically to make what total costs would be (fuel & maint) worth your while.

Flint
20160821_170259.jpg

20160821_041056.jpg

treyratcliff

Post by treyratcliff » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful answers so far.

Last year, I paid a service in Reno $2500 to tow it out, but I'd rather have that money go to a burner! :)

AddamsonFlint
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: The Flint Fix-It Fort

Post by AddamsonFlint » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:40 pm

$2500?

Gimme the night to think about it, but I'll probably do it.

Flint

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:23 pm

Boyz, please strike the $$$ talk and commerce from these posts and please take it private.

Nothing wrong with working out a deal on this kind a situation, burner to burner and all that Jazz, just don’t do it on the open board.

treyratcliff

Post by treyratcliff » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:49 pm

Sorry about that. I didn't mean it in a negotiating-kinda way... just kind of a talking point. We'll take it offline. :)

Return to “Rideshares & Resource Sharing”