Ticket Sale Delay

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
dbraun

Ticket Sale Delay

Post by dbraun » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:19 pm

Over at Facebook, a user showed some screen shots of his communications with Ticketfly. He is from Europe and had received notification that Ticketfly can no longer service European customers due to some new rules they have over there.

His question to them was "Hey, how am I going to buy my Burning Man tickets this year?"

Their response was "We are not going to be handling ticket sales for Burning Man this year."

Has anyone else heard about this? I am thinking that this may be the reason for the delay in announcing ticket sales schedules. I am also thinking back to the days prior to Ticketfly when there were frequent and MAJOR snafus with the ticket sale software.

Discuss.

Boa-z
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: No camp (yet)

Re: Ticket Sale Delay

Post by Boa-z » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:39 am

Ratty told me to do my own research and what I found out was that there is no known ticket sale. Guess we’re all parachuting in this year. Ps stay away from scalpers

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by XPTom » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:52 am

If I understand correctly Eventbrite is now the corporate parent of Ticketfly . A search of Eventbrite + Burning Man shows the Theme Camp Symposium in March 2019. I suspect any
changes in ticket sales will be within the framework of this merger..... just guessing....
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:14 am

The ticket sale delay is likely the result of the perfect storm:
incomplete EIS, the Federal shutdown(s) - both delaying the SRP and agreement on the 2019 population cap, and Ticketmaster's delay in conforming to the GDPR.

The population cap determines the ticket price structure.

Here is a Euro experiment, try buying something from Eventbrite. My understanding is that they are GDPR compliant.

Everyone wants the event to happen, the BORG, the BLM, the State of NV, a ticket vendor and you. So all the players are likely working behind the scenes to create a solid legal basis for the event.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:22 am

The ticket sale announcements are done on playa time----which means they get to it when they get to it. This works to your advantage for a few reasons:

A) You have a longer time to save up the money to buy your ticket.
B) If you put it on a credit card, you don't get your bill until much later.
C) No matter what, Burning Man will take place August 25th-September 2nd.
D) Be patient and relax.
E) If this is your first time, read the links in my signature below.

engineer2012
Burning Since: 2012

Post by engineer2012 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:57 am

Maybe the ticket sale is delayed due to the re-mooping by BMOrg which will have to take place in spring, as a result of the site inspection. They did pass in total, but with some notes.
This in combination with the government shut downs, would it be possible that the event will be skipped a year?
"If you wish to go to extremes, let it be in sweetness, patience, humility and charity." - St. Philip Neri

homo ardentum
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Carnivore

Post by homo ardentum » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:58 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:14 am
The ticket sale delay is likely the result of the perfect storm:
incomplete EIS, the Federal shutdown(s) - both delaying the SRP and agreement on the 2019 population cap, and Ticketmaster's delay in conforming to the GDPR.
I agree with this and the difficult MOOP cleanup last year are the primary issues for the delay. Another shutdown could make it even worse...
At least they’re not pulling a Fyre and selling tix to something nonexistent!

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 am

From Facebook we should see news soon. The presale appears to now be the post-sale, and at least one plug and play got told to GTFO. :coffee:

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:03 pm

wraith wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 am
at least one plug and play got told to GTFO. :coffee:
That's a start, now on to the rest of them, 9-10 oclock I'm looking at you!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

stephen2u
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: No

Post by stephen2u » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Changes for 2019 tickets will include:

Moving the ‘Pre-Sale’ to after the Directed Group Sale. We are prioritizing the Directed Group Sale since it supports key contributors to Black Rock City (theme and mutant vehicle camps, art collectives, and core teams).
Growing the Directed Group Sale. There will be 10% more tickets allocated to the Directed Group Sales. Meaningful participation is the most valuable currency in Black Rock City.
Expanding Low Income allocation. In our ongoing effort to enable participants with limited budgets, we’re growing the application-based Low Income Ticket Program by 18%.
Adjusting high-priced ticket sales. There will be one high-priced ticket level and we’re reducing the overall number available by 30%. Higher-priced tickets will now be limited to 2 per person instead of 4 per high-priced tier, and buyers in what was formerly the “Pre-Sale” will no longer be able to participate in subsequent public sales.
Eliminating the ‘Limited Sale.’ For the past two years one could purchase $1,200 tickets via Burner Profiles into July. This will no longer be the case.
These changes are intended to ensure that those willing to make the trek to Black Rock City are ready to contribute, and will help deter concierge-type camps from purchasing blocks of tickets on behalf of their would-be clients.

My question is dose this mean a decrease of 10% in the main sale?

https://journal.burningman.org/2019/02/ ... orrecting/
If burning man really what’s to fix itself just put a name on the ticket of the buyer, and checked at the gate, so no scalping on tickets, if you can’t make it return to ticketfly for full refund, then the ticket is resold at face value.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:23 pm

More DGS tickets is a bunch of crap, PnP camps are already masquerading as regular old theme camps and are in the system. Now they get more tickets and there will be less main sale tickets, how is that supposed to help?

Within all of that ticket talk, there was no mention of the main sale... at all
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:47 pm

^^^^^ this!

Xactly my sentiment.

More DGS means everyone has to be one of the cool kids.

DGS is what started all the decay.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”