Should I go for presale?

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
unkulunkulu
Burning Since: 2019

Should I go for presale?

Post by unkulunkulu » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:46 am

Hello, people! I've met a burner this autumn and immediately knew that I need to participate in Burning Man, this post is not the place to explain myself :) but long story short I'm quite anxious to miss a ticket, so I'm trying to do everything reasonable to secure one.
Now my question is: what can prevent me from getting a ticket in the main sale? I have read everything I could on the burningman.org, but couldn't quite understand: are they sold out minutes after the sale opens or is the sale lottery based or something? I'm determined enough to pay extra just to be sure, but rationally I see other options to spend $1k. Can someone fill me in please?
The only thing safer would be to just not jump out of the airplane.

stephen2u
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: No

Re: Should I go for presale?

Post by stephen2u » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:18 am

I wouldn't, $1400,00 dollars is a lot of money, you can always get tickets from the aftermarket at a lower price, and use the extra for bacon,
I just look on eBay you can get tickets, cheaper then $1400.00
If burning man really what’s to fix itself just put a name on the ticket of the buyer, and checked at the gate, so no scalping on tickets, if you can’t make it return to ticketfly for full refund, then the ticket is resold at face value.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:05 am

stephen2u wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:18 am
I wouldn't, $1400,00 dollars is a lot of money, you can always get tickets from the aftermarket at a lower price, and use the extra for bacon,
I just look on eBay you can get tickets, cheaper then $1400.00
This is very, very poor advice.
Never buy a Burning Man ticket from somewhere second-hand like that, your chances of never getting it, getting a fake or straight-up scammed are high.
There isn’t anything you can do to guarantee getting a mainsale ticket.
Buying a presale is super expensive, but if you want the security of knowing you’re going and can afford it, it is what it is.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:07 am

The reason people do not get tickets in the main sale is that many more people want tickets than there are tickets available. You can do everything correctly and still miss out. It is not a lottery, but effectively works like one. A presale guarantees you have a ticket. Waiting for third party sales is a gamble, you could make plans and still not land a ticket. There are many scammers and scalpers, we have several people here every year with a tale of woe about how they turned over their money and got nothing. Scammers even use eplaya to take your cash. Those sellers on stubhub? They do NOT have tickets in hand, and scramble to find one should you offer to buy. Ebay? Same thing, or worse, you buy above face value, and the ticket ends up voided anyway.

How badly do you want to go?

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:19 am

I know some people don’t like that, but the Board members of burning man have been caught and criticized in the past for doing just this, selling tickets at a inflated price , the tickets on eBay says they will Transfer tickets to your ticketfly Account , no tickets have been sold the camps, so those tickets have to come from someone, the people in the Organization has access to them. 1+2=3
Last edited by stephen2u on Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
If burning man really what’s to fix itself just put a name on the ticket of the buyer, and checked at the gate, so no scalping on tickets, if you can’t make it return to ticketfly for full refund, then the ticket is resold at face value.

BurnerBunny
Burning Since: 2007

Post by BurnerBunny » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:44 am

Keep in mind this was for green man and then cargo cult, so maybe more recent ticket purchases are different. My experience both times was pretty similar:

I filled out the profile ahead of time. Made sure to be ready with my credit card the exact minute that the main sale started, and kept refreshing the page right around the start. Essentially if you make it in you get into a queue, and then eventually it takes your cc info and you get a ticket. In my experience they sell out immediately, but as long as you get in the queue, don't lose internet and speak softly to your browser so nothing goes wrong and you don't lose your place then everything works out and takes about 1 hour.

Best of luck! I really want to go this year too, but the presale price is too steep this year so I'm casting my fate in with everyone one for the main sale. If it happens it happens!

Unfortunately for me I'm too much of a planner to bother with trying to get tickets too close to event. So I either get main sale tickets in March or try again next year. /shrugs

stephen2u

Post by stephen2u » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:35 pm

stephen2u wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:19 am
I know some people don’t like that, but the Board members of burning man have been caught and criticized in the past for doing just this, selling tickets at a inflated price , the tickets on eBay says they will Transfer tickets to your ticketfly Account , no tickets have been sold the camps, so those tickets have to come from someone, the people in the Organization has access to them. 1+2=3
3=you’re an idiot. And 1+2=3... therefore, 1+2=you’re an idiot.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:09 pm

What nearly everyone else said. Immediatly when tickets go on sale there are more people logged on and clicking than there are available tickets. For any chance whatsoever in the main sale, you have to be on it. Logging on 5 minutes into the sale ain't gonna cut it. Logging on in time is a coin flip.

Definitely as the event gets closer, tickets become available, as plans change. The secondary market is full of scammers though. Unless you form some other relationship than this ticket transaction (mutual friends, forming camp together, etc), be very cautious.

But there is another issue with trying to buy on the secondary market, or OMG sale; if you really are going, the time prior is better spent preparing for the Burn, rather than hustling for a ticket. And if you're still hustling for a ticket, with that hanging uncertainty, it's hard to motivate for all the following requirements to attend.

So........ Good luck!
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Pow Pow
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Pow Pow » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:41 am

Has anyone heard of an instance where a ticket was transferred either before shipping or through will call that was not a valid ticket? As long as the ticket is transferred to your name through BM should increase your odds that the ticket is legitimate if purchased from a person you do know personally.
Dream as if you will live forever
Live as if you only have today...

unkulunkulu

Post by unkulunkulu » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:52 pm

Ok, thank you to everyone who replied, it helped make the picture more clear.
I think this is the key question ("very much" doesn't cut it, has to be measured in currency), I will ask myself when the presale opens contemplating my bank account and for the months leading up to the event while looking for resale tickets if I decide to skip the presale and miss my luck in the main sale.

Hopefully see some of you on the playa!
One good news is that my visa is approved, I'm one step closer!

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:10 am

I suppose it should be mentioned as a reminder that the price is $1400 plus several fees and taxes, so actually it begins to approach $1600 per ticket. Add in a vehicle pass if that's part of your plan, at $100.. and well.. it gets downright exorbitant before you even begin to crack your wallet for 'all the things'.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:29 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:35 pm
3=you’re an idiot. And 1+2=3... therefore, 1+2=you’re an idiot.
Just about sums it up.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:09 am

unkulunkulu wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:52 pm
Ok, thank you to everyone who replied, it helped make the picture more clear.
I think this is the key question ("very much" doesn't cut it, has to be measured in currency), I will ask myself when the presale opens contemplating my bank account and for the months leading up to the event while looking for resale tickets if I decide to skip the presale and miss my luck in the main sale.

Hopefully see some of you on the playa!
One good news is that my visa is approved, I'm one step closer!
Here's the thing, even if you do not get a ticket to Burning Man, a trip to the American West is not necessarily wasted. We have amazing national parks, monuments, and state parks which are stunning and breathtaking. Prep for Burning Man is also prep for camping. Go see the Grand Canyon or Bryce or Zion or Yosemite or Yellowstone!

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:23 am

Let's put this into perspective, shall we?

Foolish rich people spend as much as $100,000 per person to attend Burning Man. (that comes with luxury accommodations, fancy, pre-chewed food, maid service with turn down sheets, and open bar) Money means nothing to them, but getting to Burning Man is that amazing.

If you have never gone, think of it as a once in a lifetime event. You may hate it and never go back--but at least you'll know and you attended once. Something to tell your great grandchildren.

Gone are the days when there was more openness and craziness on the playa. No speed limits, guns were allowed and used, tickets were cheap and plentiful. You could buy them at the gate. When tickets went on sale, they were lower priced to raise cash and encourage sales. When each tier sold out, the price went up $20 for the next level. Then word got out that this was the most wild event on the planet.

I have found in life that if you want to do something bad enough, you can do it. If it's just a whim and you hit a roadblock, then try to get a ticket the next year.

As others have mentioned, buying from a third party seller is extremely risky. There are thousands of stories of scams selling tickets. The legit ticket sellers need to find tickets after they're paid for. You can think you've secured a ticket only to have them refund money as the event gets closer if they don't find one. They can also unknowingly sell you a voided ticket provided to them. You'll be turned away at the gate, but a legit company will at least refund your money---but you'll be going home missing out.

Join your local regional group and make some friends and connections. Again, if you REALLY want to attend, you can do it.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:34 pm

The most reliable way to get tickets to Burning Man is to be a hard worker, good at something, and be willing to share that with others. Then become an essential part of a group project. Nobody cares if Joe Rando can't make it to Burning Man and doesn't get to see Skrillex fight in the Thunderdome. Everyone cares if a solid, fun camp member can't make it. Therefore, you cast a wider net and people actively tell you about tickets that might be available.

unkulunkulu

Post by unkulunkulu » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 am

maladroit wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:34 pm
The most reliable way to get tickets to Burning Man is to be a hard worker, good at something, and be willing to share that with others. Then become an essential part of a group project. Nobody cares if Joe Rando can't make it to Burning Man and doesn't get to see Skrillex fight in the Thunderdome. Everyone cares if a solid, fun camp member can't make it. Therefore, you cast a wider net and people actively tell you about tickets that might be available.
Oh, now I fully understand, that's a complete picture. Thank you!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:59 pm

If you can afford it and want to be sure you get a ticket, go for it. End of story.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:47 pm

unkulunkulu wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:28 am
maladroit wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:34 pm
Oh, now I fully understand, that's a complete picture. Thank you!
This is a good approach, but usually only works once you've proven yourself...in other words, the year following your first year attending. However, if you have access to local/regional Burner events then pitch in like mad NOW and become an reliable, proven member of a group that is going...being part of a network could get you a ticket, but still no guarantees.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Altahoe
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Altahoe » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:44 pm

unkulunkulu wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:46 am
Hello, people! I've met a burner this autumn and immediately knew that I need to participate in Burning Man, this post is not the place to explain myself :) but long story short I'm quite anxious to miss a ticket, so I'm trying to do everything reasonable to secure one.
Now my question is: what can prevent me from getting a ticket in the main sale? I have read everything I could on the burningman.org, but couldn't quite understand: are they sold out minutes after the sale opens or is the sale lottery based or something? I'm determined enough to pay extra just to be sure, but rationally I see other options to spend $1k. Can someone fill me in please?
How important is it to you, to have a ticket (receipt) in your hand 6 months before the event? Is the ticket price in your budget & is the cost only slightly affecting your overall plans? You can get locked out of the Main Sale, then the anxiety (FOMO) creeps in along with the dangers of aftermarket scams (very real). Purchasing a FOMO ticket does not make you bad burner or an idiot. But, if you live in an area where there are a network of burners, you have great chance of getting a hook up at face value. Keep the ticket conversations going with everyone you know. Another option that's already been mentioned, join a camp (not PnP) or art project & bust your ass. Make yourself the most valuable or key person. I noticed a few days ago, a member of the Mutant Vehicle FB page, offered a few positions for a few new camp members willing to bust their butts in exchange for DGS tickets. Apparently he's short handed & needs a lot of help. Just my thoughts.

poopje

Post by poopje » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:48 am

I'm in the same predicament. Sadly I'm going to be in an area with unreliable internet for the main sale so thought of FOMO. I can afford it but also have a backup plan. So my question is more about STEP - can I sell my FOMO tickets back (at face value) there? I notice that there's no info on STEP in the Tickets section.

garbage118
Burning Since: 2006

Post by garbage118 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:37 am

Cannot resale in STEP that would be another way of buying insurance, don't be one of those kind of people.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 pm

poopje wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:48 am
I'm in the same predicament. Sadly I'm going to be in an area with unreliable internet for the main sale so thought of FOMO. I can afford it but also have a backup plan. So my question is more about STEP - can I sell my FOMO tickets back (at face value) there? I notice that there's no info on STEP in the Tickets section.
You can sell it, but not in STEP. And if you get a FOMO ticket you are out for the Main sale, OMG, sale, and STEP. Buying a FOMO ticket ensures you will go, at a price, but you will have a ticket.

On a side note. I am soooooo happy the org changed this aspect of the pre-sale tickets. I wish they had done it from the beginning.
In dust we trust.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”