Is my four wheeled bike not allowed?

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about your 2019 playa projects here.
jteezy
Burning Since: 2011

Is my four wheeled bike not allowed?

Post by jteezy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:54 pm

I created a four person, four wheeled bike as my project this year (that has electric assist but also pedals) but according to what I just read on the vehicle rules, to be considered a "bike", it must be two or three wheels. Is a four wheeled bike something that has to go through DMV? Thanks for any help.

justanta
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Whore's S'mores (in Ill Ville)

Re: Is my four wheeled bike not allowed?

Post by justanta » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Your four wheeled bike is NOT allowed, unless you already received an invite to bring it to the playa as a Mutant Vehicle, and get it registered as such with the DMV.

Besides, did you really not consider that a vehicle capable of transporting 4 people might need a special license? A four person vehicle doesn't fall under what most people consider a "bike" or a "personal transport vehicle", which are the only categories the DMV recognizes as not needing a Mutant Vehicle permit.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:17 pm

Four wheels plus assist is not allowed. I used to have a four wheeled bike and we never added the electric motor for that very reason.

Ano
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:19 pm

If your bike is entirely pedal-powered, then yes, it is allowed. You can have a fifteen-wheel pedal-powered item. The rule about quadricycles is specifically regarding powered ones.

If your bike has any kind of assist, then it is technically not allowed.

jteezy

Post by jteezy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will gladly remove the electric assist if that makes it legal.

"The rule about quadricycles is specifically regarding powered ones." - Can you please point me to a link where I can find that information.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:23 pm

jteezy wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:54 pm
I created a four person, four wheeled bike as my project this year (that has electric assist but also pedals) but according to what I just read on the vehicle rules, to be considered a "bike", it must be two or three wheels. Is a four wheeled bike something that has to go through DMV? Thanks for any help.
A four-wheeled bike with electric assist is considered a "Personal Transportation Vehicle", not a bicycle, and would have needed a to go through DMV and already have an invitation. That door closed months ago.

If you bring your bike to the playa this year without having that invitation from the DMV it will be confiscated at the Gate, and put in (I believe) D Lot. There is no security there, BMan takes no responsibility for anything that happens to an unauthorized vehicle that gets confiscated.

It sounds harsh now, days before Gate opens, but it's spelled out very clearly on the vehicle rules page, which you noted yourself - ie: only 2-3 wheels is a bike, even with electric assist.

I would submit your bike next year & not risk it being confiscated & damaged after the work you put into it, and just find a beater bike for this year.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

jteezy

Post by jteezy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Eric wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:23 pm

It sounds harsh now, days before Gate opens, but it's spelled out very clearly on the vehicle rules page, which you noted yourself - ie: only 2-3 wheels is a bike, even with electric assist.

Did you mean to say "only 2-3 wheels is a bike, even without electric assist?". Others are saying it is legal without the motor but the way I read the rules is that is still isn't, correct?

jteezy

Post by jteezy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:43 pm

I think I see now that the four wheel bike is fine as long as I get rid of the motor.

"We define a PTV as a conveyance that is powered by ANY type of motor or drive system, including (but not limited to) wheeled, tracked, or hovering systems, powered by electric, gas, or other fuel, (i.e. anything that is not solely human-powered)."

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:45 pm

A 2-3 wheel bike, even with electric assist, is considered a "bike". Add that 4th wheel with electric assist and it becomes a "personal transport vehicle" and must follow DMV rules.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:46 pm

jteezy wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:43 pm
I think I see now that the four wheel bike is fine as long as I get rid of the motor.
^This. It's all about the motor + wheels, not the wheels alone.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “Art & Performance”