Burning Man Human Library Seeking Volunteers

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about your 2019 playa projects here.
flybrary
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Camp Taos

Burning Man Human Library Seeking Volunteers

Post by flybrary » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:00 am

For the first time ever in Burning Man history, The Human Library will be traveling to the Playa! The Human Library will take place at The Flybrary Art Installation. We we need your help!
Alongside curated books, catwalks, and nooks for reading and conversing, the Flybrary Art Installation will be host to the first ever Human Library at Burning Man. The Flybrary is a giant metal art installation in the shape of a head with flying bird books leaping out of the top to signify the “freedom of thought”. Visionary art creator Christina Sporrong invites to enter the inside of a giant mind where you’ll find thoughts, ideas, fantasies, imagination, intimate conversations, and much more.
The Human Library is designed to take the concept of a traditional library and bring it to life. Instead of offering books, this is a library where real people are on loan to readers. We want to break through stereotypes, prejudices, and walls that divide people by creating a safe space where open, and honest conversations can take place. Our human books belong to one or many diverse groups in society that are often stigmatized as a result of who they are, choices they have made, or an experience they have had. Around the world we publish titles across the spectrum of mental health, gender, sexuality, occupation, lifestyle, religion and many more. We want to encourage people “not to judge a book by its cover”! The goal of The Human Library is to challenge prejudice and stereotypes; while creating better understanding of who we are as people through unhindered dialogue. We are looking for interesting people, like you, to volunteer as Human Books. You can volunteer any day, for an hour or more. Help people to see human beings differently, and break through those walls that separate each of us by sharing your story in a short 20-30 minute discussion with readers.
The Human Library, located at the Flybrary Art Installation will be open between the hours 1:00-4:00 P.M. Monday through Saturday at Burning Man this year.
During these times, people will be able to peruse a variety of human books available for checkout.
Please contact Adam Litwin to volunteer as a Human Book!
Contact Information: Cell-714-618-4429 OR Email-adamlitwin1@yahoo.com
or leave a message for me on this thread.
More information on The Human Library can be found here: http://humanlibrary.org/.
More information on the Flybrary can be found here: https://spitfireworks.blogspot.com/. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Doktor_Catu
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Opulent Chill

Re: Burning Man Human Library Seeking Volunteers

Post by Doktor_Catu » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:59 am

Very interesting project. Where do I sign up?

=)

Apprentice storyteller here. Former International lawyer, nowadays a translator. Have been a waiter, barman, private pilot, IT trainer among other things. Pagan and proud of it.
“Be authentic to your dreams. Be authentic to your own idea about yourself. Grind away at your own minds and bodies until you become your own invention. Be Mad Scientists.”
― Warren Ellis, Doktor Sleepless,
-findme at berzins*at*gmail------

flybrary
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Camp Taos

Re: Burning Man Human Library Seeking Volunteers

Post by flybrary » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:59 am

Thanks Doktor!

You can sign up by contacting me at adamlitwin1@yahoo.com, or call/text me at 714-618-4429.

Thanks, Adam

Return to “Art & Performance”